Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Question: To the Grid counting in Home Usage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not sure I’m following? The moment the house switches from charging power walls to pushing to the grid the home usage jumps despite nothing nothing else being on from when it was charging the power walls. Nothing from a household load changed at the transition point from charging powerwalls to pushing to the grid. Clearly the amount being pushed to the grid is getting counted in the home usage, it perfectly mirrors every time. I'm assuming something is wired/configured wrong and this shouldn't happen?

I used some photo editing software, the average heigh of the pre-spike home usage plus the “to grid amount” make the home usage align perfectly.

View media item 121880

Last edited:
As I’m looking at it, I think the issue is that it’s only reporting half of the power going to the grid. If you look at the graph where it stops charging the powerwall and starts feeding into the grid it should be feeding about the same amount of power into the grid that it was using to charge the powerwall, but that suddenly halves.

Additionally, it doesn’t directly measure the amount of power going to your house, but instead it calculates it by adding the amount of power you’re taking from (or sending to) the grid to the amount of power your solar system is producing. However, if it only thinks that you are sending half the amount of power to the grid than you really are, then it will think that your house is using much more power than it really is.

There should be one CT on each leg of the power coming from the grid. It’s possible that one of the CT’s is missing or not working. That would cause you to only be reading about half the amount of power coming from/going to the grid.

Last edited: