Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App showing different kWh than car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I am new here and would appreciate your help.

Charging at home on the normal wall plug usually 3kWh was working fine. About a month ago, something in the app changed and app is showing 2kWh but the car is showing 3kWh. Charging time is corresponding the 3kWh so its the App that is not showing the charging correctly. I have updated the App but still the same. If anyone can shed some light on this one.
Thanks in advance,
Dani

Presumably we are talking about the power at which you charge which is 2 kW vs 3 kW (kWh is energy, kW is power). Also, just to avoid incorrect answers let me point out that you are in Austria where the nominal mains voltage is 230 V, thus the 2 or 3 kW.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the inconsistency. It might as well just be a rounding error. It's kinda weird though, I mean it's not a 3rd party app that might do things differently.

Is the car consistently showing 3 kW while the app is showing 2 kW or is that just happening occasionally? 230 V x 12 Amps equals 2.76 kW. You might just be close to a trigger point where the displayed power switches from 2 to 3 kW.

Upvote 0
To add to this, app is always showing 1% less charge than the car. (i.e car is showing 71%, ap showing 70%).
Screenshot_20221128_155959_Tesla.jpg
20221128_155536.jpg

Attachments

• 20221128_155536.jpg
    20221128_155536.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 31
Upvote 0
Presumably we are talking about the power at which you charge which is 2 kW vs 3 kW (kWh is energy, kW is power). Also, just to avoid incorrect answers let me point out that you are in Austria where the nominal mains voltage is 230 V, thus the 2 or 3 kW.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the inconsistency. It might as well just be a rounding error. It's kinda weird though, I mean it's not a 3rd party app that might do things differently.

Is the car consistently showing 3 kW while the app is showing 2 kW or is that just happening occasionally? 230 V x 12 Amps equals 2.76 kW. You might just be close to a trigger point where the displayed power switches from 2 to 3 kW.
It is as @UncleCreepy writes likely just a rounding error / change introduced with the last app update, I'm charging with 8 A / 230V and previously had a 2kW display in the app, now (that is since the last update) 1kW. Teslamate and the car continue to show 2kW.

Upvote 0
It's probably something innocuous like the kWh is a calculated figure, and not actually read from the car as an api, so that the calculation is being rounded differently in the car vs the app.
Assuming the app uses the public api State And Settings - Tesla API (why wouldn't it for this), there are multiple ways it could calculate/retrieve the current charging power level. As I noted Teslamate (uses the public API) gets it right (aka uses normal commercial rounding).

Reactions: KenC
Upvote 0