Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app showing zero home consumption after solar upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had additional panels wired in to my existing system yesterday and they went online without issue. City inspectors came this morning and gave their blessing. However, since the new panels went online the app has started showing the home consumption dropping to zero for extended periods of time. I am never lower than 0.3 and everything seems normal inside the house. Could this be an issue with gateway settings? Any thoughts?

(am trying to contact the installer for help but still waiting for response)

Screenshots attached

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210224-104451.png
    Screenshot_20210224-104451.png
    496.7 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot_20210224-104506.png
    Screenshot_20210224-104506.png
    455.1 KB · Views: 89
Everything else looks fine. Loads shifted as expected overnight with TBC cost savings. If the CT installation was the issue, I feel like the overnight situation would not have looked as it did. But I'm not absolutely certain.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210224-111915.png
    Screenshot_20210224-111915.png
    217.5 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_20210224-111934.png
    Screenshot_20210224-111934.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 67
I had some of those issues not long after PW installation. My CT antenna in subpanel wasn't properly installed and house showed no consumption at time. Gateway was not getting CT signal some of the time.
Problem solved when the next tech dropped it into the wall cavity instead of being inside that metal subpanel.
You may have similar issues?

Reactions: Dukeybootie
Well, I am thinking of it as the new equipment is providing enough power to cover the home load, but it isnt being captured properly in the app due to either CT mis configuration or new inverter not registered with app. Since there is a new inverter, I would imagine for it all to be captured there must be another CT for it.... but I admit freely to not being as technical as some of our other members on this stuff.

I was just looking at the time frame that shows "no load" and its right in the middle of the day, when max PV generation likely is.

Well, I am thinking of it as the new equipment is providing enough power to cover the home load, but it isnt being captured properly in the app due to either CT mis configuration or new inverter not registered with app. Since there is a new inverter, I would imagine for it all to be captured there must be another CT for it.... but I admit freely to not being as technical as some of our other members on this stuff.

I was just looking at the time frame that shows "no load" and its right in the middle of the day, when max PV generation likely is.

that makes sense to me. to the OP, has your solar production gone up?

I have the same issue but mine might be a different problem. The circuit that my new solar is on was a load before and Tesla did not move it over to the solar CT. It rarely has any load on it. So when solar is produced on that inverter it gets subtracted from the Home load, often showing zero during production. The remainder does show up as solar. Tesla needs to move that circuit over to the solar CT IMHO.

Also I talked to my installation manager yesterday and he ask if had gotten a black box to plug into my ethernet. I had not. He thought that would take care of the problem too. I have a Delta inverter.

Anyway that is my story and waiting for Tesla to either give me the black box and/or move my circuit to the solar CT.

This picture shows the PWs at 100% and the solar covering all the house load plus remainder spilling over to the grid. House load is estimated at 800-1000 watts.

Screenshot_20201231-135728_Tesla.jpg

I mean has your production gone up from what is was before you added more panels?

Not sure if I am answering correctly so I've included the last couple days of solar production from the app. On 2/22 you can see the production rate peaks around 5 kW. On 2/23 you can see the big jump to 7 kW shortly before noon when the new additional panels went online.

As I was going through these graphs, I am noticing the smooth parabola on 2/22 versus the jagged outline ever since the new additional panels went online. Almost certain now it is linked to the house load and the new panels' production is going to the house first, with the remainder being added to the old panels' production.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210224-123000.png
    Screenshot_20210224-123000.png
    402.1 KB · Views: 55
  • Screenshot_20210224-123015.png
    Screenshot_20210224-123015.png
    429.9 KB · Views: 56
  • Screenshot_20210224-123028.png
    Screenshot_20210224-123028.png
    422.4 KB · Views: 74