Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Shows 50% Solar Production vs SolarEdge & Utility

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you -- I'll check again after sunset tonight.

Quick update, I just noticed that my Tesla app numbers for today are suddenly matching the SolarEdge data, apparently starting sometime in the last hour or so. In the "Performance" tab of the Tesla app, when I look at "Yesterday" it's still wrong/showing the halved numbers [vs SolarEdge], but the "Today" data has become accurate again.

FWIW, I don't actually check the Tesla app like a hawk as it probably sounds -- but I do check the macOS menu bar app very frequently, mostly because it gives me instant data on household usage & helps me to go tell my wife to turn off all the lights she's left on (half kidding). ;)

Really though, it's just very helpful, and I'm not trying to promote it by any means (though I do think it's great, and am a software developer myself but I have no affiliation with the app or its dev, etc). I'm basically not much of a phone-app kind of guy, but I do like to keep an eye on production, usage, and battery status -- right now my electricity is quite cheap ($0.05 to $0.06 / kWh), but I'm essentially running "test trials" for next summer (June to September) when our time-of-use plan is extremely expensive for 6-hours every weekday ($0.43/kWh from 1PM to 7PM), basically "learning" the ebbs & flows of our usage vs solar generation/PW capacity & formulating my plan to no longer have $800++ bills in the Vegas summer heat. Plus, I'm a data nerd. =D

24DmHyE.png

Thanks again -- will continue to update with findings / as & if things change. :)

How did you get the tesla data into the mac menu bar? Is it from a github repo or something?

It's a 3rd party app -- I'm a software developer by trade & actually started writing the code for similar, and then stumbled onto it while researching the API. It doesn't do quite as much as I'd ideally want it to; literally, the only functionality it has is what you see in my screenshot. There's no historic data, no actions, etc. -- it just displays today's data + Powerwall status. Considering the time/cost difference vs writing the code myself though, it was a no-brainer! ;)

I personally bought it off the Mac App Store, mainly because it makes it easier to get it onto all my Macs without manually keeping track of the license, though at the time I also didn't realize they sold it directly. In hindsight, I'd probably have bought from & supported the developer directly, but I digress; I see the developer also offers a 14-day trial on their website, too.

Mac App: Tesla Powerwall Monitor - purchase & trial via Developer Site & can buy it on Mac App Store.

Interestingly, it's apparently slightly cheaper on the Mac App Store -- though after just trying out the direct-download version, it also appears that it may be a version behind (the MAS version right now doesn't have a "Preferences" tab to choose what data-point is displayed in the menu-bar). As a developer with an app on the MAS myself, my guess from experience is that the MAS version is probably behind a bit -- it's possible the dev already updated the version & submitted the "new version" for review, but that can sometimes take some time for Apple to approve.

FWIW, I've no affiliation with the app or the developer whatsoever -- just a customer.

That said, I'm actually going to reach out to the developer & ask about the version difference, and probably provide some feedback AKA minor feature requests. Specifically, I'd like to be able to toggle StormWatch + set PW Reserve percent from the menu-bar, similar to how I can w/ the Tesla car menu-bar app I use (that one's called TeslaValet, and is pretty solid too). :)

• Helpful
Reactions: kardiff_kris
It's a 3rd party app -- I'm a software developer by trade & actually started writing the code for similar, and then stumbled onto it while researching the API. It doesn't do quite as much as I'd ideally want it to; literally, the only functionality it has is what you see in my screenshot. There's no historic data, no actions, etc. -- it just displays today's data + Powerwall status. Considering the time/cost difference vs writing the code myself though, it was a no-brainer! ;)

I personally bought it off the Mac App Store, mainly because it makes it easier to get it onto all my Macs without manually keeping track of the license, though at the time I also didn't realize they sold it directly. In hindsight, I'd probably have bought from & supported the developer directly, but I digress; I see the developer also offers a 14-day trial on their website, too.

Mac App: Tesla Powerwall Monitor - purchase & trial via Developer Site & can buy it on Mac App Store.

Interestingly, it's apparently slightly cheaper on the Mac App Store -- though after just trying out the direct-download version, it also appears that it may be a version behind (the MAS version right now doesn't have a "Preferences" tab to choose what data-point is displayed in the menu-bar). As a developer with an app on the MAS myself, my guess from experience is that the MAS version is probably behind a bit -- it's possible the dev already updated the version & submitted the "new version" for review, but that can sometimes take some time for Apple to approve.

FWIW, I've no affiliation with the app or the developer whatsoever -- just a customer.

That said, I'm actually going to reach out to the developer & ask about the version difference, and probably provide some feedback AKA minor feature requests. Specifically, I'd like to be able to toggle StormWatch + set PW Reserve percent from the menu-bar, similar to how I can w/ the Tesla car menu-bar app I use (that one's called TeslaValet, and is pretty solid too). :)

Thanks! I'm a dev as well. I haven't found the right mix of data in any of the dashboards or similar, this doesn't satisfy everything either but it is kind of cool to have it in the menu bar.

I use (and wrote) MMM-Powerwall for my day-to-day monitoring purposes. There's a physical display in the main part of the house, but I can also pull up the web page from any computer I'm on.

There's a user on Reddit reporting that the local API is gone as of 1.50.2, and I'm still on 1.50.1. If so, I'm very disturbed by that, since it means my dashboard is about to be useless. Since I see from this thread that you've already got 1.50.2, can you confirm whether you're still able to access status via your local network with a web browser?