Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App shows cameras need upgrade on vehicle that has MCU2 and new cameras for FSD Beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been patiently waiting since November 2021 for the FSD beta for my 2017 MS P100D when my cameras were upgraded and the MCU2 was installed. The vehicle was delivered with MCU1 and AP2.0.

Safety score has always been 95 or above.

Recently the Tesla app version 4.14.2 allows the user to view if their vehicle is eligible for the FSD Beta. Much to my chagrin my vehicle shows that it is not eligible due to the cameras needing to be replaced.

I know they were replaced at the time of the MCU2 upgrade because they are listed under the parts section
1642011-00-A Right Side
1642010-00-A Left side
1120520-00-B Triple Cam
1092307-00-G Right Pillar
1092306-S0-D Left Pillar

The invoice also states that the cameras were calibrated and the firmware (unknown type) was updated.

Anyone know what the issue is?

Needless to say, I am pretty pissed that I have been waiting for one year not knowing that my vehicle was ineligible due to what appears to be a Tesla screw up.

• Funny
Reactions: buckets0fun
I had my cameras in my 2016 Model X 90D replaced on July 2022 in preparation or FSD Beta when it arrives for the larger group in December. Here is what my invoice says.

1120520-00-B - Triple Cam
1642011-00-A - Right Hand Repeater Camera
1642010-00-A - Left Hand Repeater Camera
1069104-SL-D - Left B Pillar Camera
1069104-SR-D - Right B Pillar Camera

Note: I had my AP2 Computer replaced with FSD Computer at the same time I did MCU/2 back on June 2020 (just over 2 years before the cameras).

There's been reports that even when correct parts are ordered, different/wrong parts get installed:

It appears Tesla only enabled the beta in batches. If you don't get enabled in one of the batches (the last one several months ago), you are not immediately enabled when you do qualify. My guess is no more batches will be enabled until the full distribution to all FSD owners, without concern for the safety score. This may happen in the next 6 weeks, but you'll need the updated cameras. No idea if you have them or not. I also expect this next release will be for beta as well - just a much wider distribution.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
For those of you that have been following along I got clarification from my local Service Center.

I have the most recent cameras installed. The cameras however will need to be upgraded again in order to run the final production FSD software. So just to be clear....

The AP2.0 cameras were upgraded to what most of you currently have along with the MCU2. The upgraded cameras will be replaced sometime in the first half (think June 30th) of next year to what is effectively a third set of cameras. This applies to anyone who was upgraded from AP2.0. Not sure about AP2.5 or AP3.0,

If this situation applies to you and you were placed on the FSD Beta team you will continue to get FSD Beta updates but will not get the final version until you get your cameras upgraded again. If you are not currently on the FSD Beta team, you will not be able to join the program.

And lastly the message "Cameras need replacement" on the Safety Score screen of the APP is indicating that the cameras you have will need to be replaced in the first half of 2023.

"Cameras need replacement" on the Safety Score screen of the APP is indicating that the cameras you have will need to be replaced in the first half of 2023
To be clear, people have gotten their cameras correctly replaced by service after seeing that message. And after upgrade, the message goes away within minutes without waiting for some future 2023 cameras.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
Plenty of people have gotten in to FSD Beta with a single set of correct RCCB camera upgrades made a year ago coming from AP2/RCCC."

What they are saying is that there will not be any more with the current camera set.

I should have also mentioned that the updated cameras provide a better 360-degree view versus the current units that are installed which is the reason for the change.

the updated cameras provide a better 360-degree view versus the current units that are installed which is the reason for the change
There have been rumors of new cameras being installed on new vehicles have a wider field of view. So maybe service is actually leaking this information to you and everybody with FSD for vehicles made before October 2022 will need to upgrade. Or they could also be confused and avoiding replacing your cameras now.

...maybe service is actually leaking this information to you...
And how would any service department know this? Especially one in Florida?
...Or they could also be confused and avoiding replacing your cameras now.
This
...The upgraded cameras will be replaced sometime...to what is effectively a third set of cameras. This applies to anyone who was upgraded from AP2.0. Not sure about AP2.5 or AP3.0,

If this situation applies to you and you were placed on the FSD Beta team you will continue to get FSD Beta updates but will not get the final version until you get your cameras upgraded again. If you are not currently on the FSD Beta team, you will not be able to join the program...
To be clear. I totally think this will happen. I just don't think so soon. And I doubt the service center knows this.

Last edited:
I have not driven for 100 miles on AP since the upgrades happened
The 100 miles don't need to be with the new cameras. The app probably shows total Autopilot miles in the Safety Score section, so if there's no other warnings, I would guess your vehicle software version is "too new." Basically only those on 2022.20.7/.8/.9 have been added to 2022.20.19 (FSD Beta 10.69.2.4), but with FSD Beta 10.69.3.1 starting to roll out today as 2022.36.20, presumably those on 2022.36.x can be added. (But not those on 2022.40.x -- those will likely need to wait until FSD Beta 11.)

When will FSD Beta 11 happen?
Some Tesla employees already have it, so it could be as soon as next week:
But I would expect this "widen" to be limited to employees and maybe some pre-Safety-Score testers (e.g., those who got the first FSD Beta back in October 2020). The current FSD Beta 11 is 2022.40.5 and only went to an even smaller set of employees than other early FSD Beta releases like 10.69.

Then the previous tweet related to FSD Beta 11 release scheduling:
Could be interpreted as early December for existing FSD Beta population or potentially also including those waiting with Safety Score. And potentially "wide release" could mean no driving requirements by the end of this year potentially as part of a holiday update.

Even with "wide release," the hardware needs to be compatible, so if I were @Powderkeg wanting FSD Beta this year, I would try to find a different service center to replace cameras instead of the current service center saying there's new cameras next year.

Had the same issue. Cameras replaced on AP 2.0 car in July. App said car is ineligible and then got the email that the cameras are ready. Took car to service and they replaced just ONE camera. The ineligible warning went away and immediately got FSD Beta. Now have to wait for 99% calibration to become 100%!

Reactions: MorrisonHiker