Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App shows cameras need upgrade on vehicle that has MCU2 and new cameras for FSD Beta?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You need MCU2 to get invited to get the cameras upgraded. Although at least one user here managed to badger their local service center to replace the cameras without an invite, without MCU2 they don’t get invited to the FSD Beta.
I swear I saw someone post recently that they received the camera upgrade invite and they still have MCU1...

Looks like FSD beta was released to everyone that has FSD and qualifying hardware. Look for 2022.36.20. Safety score not used. You still have to activate it in Controls > Autopilot. I assume the qualifying hardware is MCU2 or MCUZ, HW3.0 AP Processor, and HW2.5 cameras or later. This means all 3/Y qualify. For S/X all built after 1-Aug-2017 qualify. Older S/X will need some upgrades if not already done.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
You need MCU2 to get invited to get the cameras upgraded. Although at least one user here managed to badger their local service center to replace the cameras without an invite, without MCU2 they don’t get invited to the FSD Beta.
Thanks for the clarification. Much appreciated. MCU1 has been working well so I haven’t (yet) invested in MCU2.

I suppose I could wait it out but who knows when Tesla will deliver the FSD I paid for in 2016. You would think they’d upgrade those of us waiting for so long to MCU2.

I got the camera upgrade last week (Already on MCU2 and AP2.0->3.0).

Calibrated and still didn't have FSD until...... today's wide release and 10.69.3.1 finally!!!! Nearly 5.5 years but thoroughly enjoying it. Only glitch I see is if you select full visualization on Model S - the speed limit disappears.

I have updated cameras done last week, MCU2, and FSD paid for. Still no beta for me.
I got the camera upgrade last week (Already on MCU2 and AP2.0->3.0).

Calibrated and still didn't have FSD until...... today's wide release and 10.69.3.1 finally!!!! Nearly 5.5 years but thoroughly enjoying it. Only glitch I see is if you select full visualization on Model S - the speed limit disappears.
how did you calibrate your cameras?

Attachments

• BD931427-E2C1-454D-B3A0-3DDCA4F11436.jpeg
    BD931427-E2C1-454D-B3A0-3DDCA4F11436.jpeg
    912.5 KB · Views: 112
Primary calibration is done when new cameras are installed. There may be an additional automatic calibration done while you drive for the first X miles with new cameras. If this is happening, there is a clear message that cameras are calibrating on the screen. If you don't see the message, the cameras are calibrated.

Reactions: Bunnak
I know this thread is a little older now but will share my recent experience with this in case it's helpful.

Background:

2017 S P100DL with FSD and MCU2 upgrade (paid out of pocket in 2020), older black and white cams. I have the FSD computer already.
Running SW 2022.36.6, queued for FSD beta since the button became available, and have kept a safety score of 90+. 500 miles on AP in the last 30 days, 900 total.

The next part is verbose, but trying to give lots of details in case other tech-inclined friends go through similar experiences and want to know my troubleshooting process:
  • ~6 weeks ago I got the inbox message saying I can get the cameras upgraded, and that it was available via mobile service and takes <1 hour.
  • Booked mobile service, about a week before the appt it got cancelled saying they can't do it via mobile and I need to bring it into a service center (but not the closest one to me, because it's "service-lite")
  • Brought it in and they did the upgrade in <1 business day (dropped off at 8:30am picked up at 6pm). Noticed I had an error saying autopilot not available as well as low tire pressure. After driving home and waking up the next morning, had a flat tire, which I can't attribute fully to Tesla and will stop this part of the story here since it's not super relevant.
  • Autopilot never resumed working; I also went back to check the invoice and noticed the part numbers for the cameras were incorrect from what others said in other threads here. I put my car into service mode and was able to verify that two of the cameras were throwing an error code of something to the tune of "unexpected camera type". Tried a partial reinstall via service mode per the service manual listing this as a step after camera installations, neither of which cleared out the error codes.
  • Made a follow up appt, soonest one available was ~3 weeks out. It took them 3 days this time, but they identified that not only were the wrong cameras put in last time but they also put them in backwards and apologized + took care of it correctly this time. They were apologetic and courteous all throughout and they made sure I had a loaner this time so they could take the time they needed to do it right. They even executed my camera calibration for me by driving the car to verify everything works (huge shout out to Matt @ Seattle SC for taking ownership here).
  • I still had the "cameras need upgrade" message for about 16 hours after I left the SC, but then it went away. This was yesterday 11/28.
  • Still waiting to see if an FSD invite is in the near future for me; I did notice that my car is stuck now on not having checked for an update since yesterday at 3PM which it has never done before, this has persisted across reboots (hard + soft) so I'm curious if it is almost time.

tl;dr: make sure the service center does the correct camera upgrades, and make sure that everything works before you agree to leave with your car! I picked it up after hours which maybe wasn't the wisest given this situation. I had no AP/cruise/etc for over 2 weeks due to that being the next time they could see me.

Still waiting to see if an FSD invite is in the near future for me; I did notice that my car is stuck now on not having checked for an update since yesterday at 3PM which it has never done before, this has persisted across reboots (hard + soft) so I'm curious if it is almost time.
Current firmware verisons will only check for an upgrade once per 24 hours.

• Informative
Reactions: WowSuchRicky
I have a model S 2016 with FSD. When I requested the Beta I got the message I could not get it since I needed to have my cameras upgraded. So, I put in a service request. I was told I needed to wait in line. Installation is determined by VIN. How can that be true if someone with a 2017 has received the camera update?

My Nov 2016 FSD Model S is scheduled for a Mobile Service upgrade of the cameras next week. FWIW I already have the MCU2 Upgrade if that makes a difference? Based on previous horror-story experiences involving any kind of Tesla Service, I'm expecting problems, not the least that they contact me to tell me the mobile service cannot be done because they need to calibrate the AP. My last experience - went in for two new tires, and they installed two completely different tires , so I had to wait another 3 hours for them to put the correct tires on o_O

So, regardless of whether the upgrade is done mobile or at a service center - and apologies I'm not as astute as others perhaps in knowing 'where to look', how might I determine that they've correctly replaced ALL eligible cameras before I sign off?

Is there a way to check the part numbers installed actually match what they say they installed?

Is there a way to check the part numbers installed actually match what they say they installed?
I can't imagine how many of these camera upgrades have been mis-installed but it's a lot.

I think the answer though is in the OP. Do you have the Safety Score in the Tesla app? If you look today it should say "cameras need upgrading" or similar. Within a day or two of your upgrade, that should go away.

Of course check the part #'s before they start to be sure they are at least planning on using the correct cams.

For those of you that have been following along I got clarification from my local Service Center.

I have the most recent cameras installed. The cameras however will need to be upgraded again in order to run the final production FSD software. So just to be clear....

The AP2.0 cameras were upgraded to what most of you currently have along with the MCU2. The upgraded cameras will be replaced sometime in the first half (think June 30th) of next year to what is effectively a third set of cameras. This applies to anyone who was upgraded from AP2.0. Not sure about AP2.5 or AP3.0,

If this situation applies to you and you were placed on the FSD Beta team you will continue to get FSD Beta updates but will not get the final version until you get your cameras upgraded again. If you are not currently on the FSD Beta team, you will not be able to join the program.

And lastly the message "Cameras need replacement" on the Safety Score screen of the APP is indicating that the cameras you have will need to be replaced in the first half of 2023.
What are you talking about

I can't imagine how many of these camera upgrades have been mis-installed but it's a lot.

I think the answer though is in the OP. Do you have the Safety Score in the Tesla app? If you look today it should say "cameras need upgrading" or similar. Within a day or two of your upgrade, that should go away.

Of course check the part #'s before they start to be sure they are at least planning on using the correct cams.
I’ve never seen the Tesla safety app say incorrect cams even before my camera upgrade to the correct cameras. Does anyone have a screen shot of that error?

• I put my car into service mode and was able to verify that two of the cameras were throwing an error code of something to the tune of "unexpected camera type". Tried a partial reinstall via service mode per the service manual listing this as a step after camera installations, neither of which cleared out the error codes.
FYI, when mobile (Oct 25) did my camera upgrades to my X 2017 (June) one of the b-pillar cameras still showed RCCC in the 'garage app'. They double checked the connection and part number. Both were correct.

They trick was just to disconnect the 12v for a minute and when it booted back up apparently it does 'inventory' again and then correctly labeled the camera in question as RCCB.

I just got FSDbeta a few days ago (Nov 17).