Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App still gives alerts even though not logged in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
About 4 months ago I gave my Tesla log in information to a friend so he could track me on my trip to visit him.
After the visit I changed my Tesla password to maintain my privacy.
He can no longer log into the Tesla App but he still gets alerts such as when charging has started.
Why is this happening and how can I stop it?

Obviously not forever, but maybe toggling it off and on will break the notifications from going through.

You can verify by signing out of the app on your phone and seeing if the charge alerts persist after you disable mobile access

I hinted at that but he did not do it.
He seems to get a kick out of it and I did not want to force the issue since it is not that big a deal.
I am more curious as to why it still alerts.

It's Tesla's bug.

- - - Updated - - -

A good example of why not to give out Tesla login information to anyone.

Not really relevant here. This is just bad security, changing your password should disable the notifications. It means if someone gets your password through less legitimate means there isn't a way to stop the notifications to them.

This is lazy coding on Tesla's part. Notifications come from a notification server, and you must register your device to receive messages from it (usually when you first start the app and it asks if you want to receive push notifications). There's no login needed to receive notifications after you click OK to that. The notifications will go to whichever device is registered to receive it.

When the app gets signed out because the password change, it should have unregistered the device from receiving the notifications server. Unfortunately because the app and notification server didn't do that, he will always get the notifications no matter what until he deletes the app from his device. There's really not much you can do about that. Tesla theoretically can do something about it and go into their notifications server and manually unregister your friend's device from it. If you do ask them to do that, you might want to warn them about this bug while you're at it.