Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Store Concept

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Twitter user @DeleetDesign shares their own custom, polished & working concept for a Tesla App Store!

”This literally looks like something Tesla would ship.”

Thoughts?

FB5C1A77-35A8-4F9D-9608-7E936FD3E4AB.jpeg

Last edited:
Google and Apple have both allowed lots of malware into their app stores. While they *do* work to avoid it and *do* remove it when found, it still happens.

LOL at the idea of Tesla trying to do the same thing. They seem to be resource constrained in the software department. V11 is a pretty big fail, FSD is not FSD (and likely never will be), and now... robohumans.

I'm imaging a scenario when Tesla malware overrides the seat and wheel sensors, then gets FSD on navigation to bring the car to criminals while you're at work. And all because you wanted to save fifty cents by using the car wash discount club app.

I think Tesla can limit apps generally to only well known and non-malicious apps, not like all the apps you can get on your phone. My Sony TV allows apps, but they are VERY limited. Tesla could do the same if they can protect their core safety and driving processes.

But that's why your Sony TV has a very limited number of apps, and they're likely useless.

Malware can be introduced into software via the "supply chain"... essentially a legit app decides to use a dependency which uses a dependency which uses a dependency that is also legit. Then one day that "grandchild" dependency gets bought by a bad actor who injects malware. The app makers update their dependencies and push them into their latest release and BAM... the malware is live.

I would *never* trust that Tesla has the resources to combat malware. Not when easy targets like good manual wipers have eluded them for years.

I think Tesla can limit apps generally to only well known and non-malicious apps, not like all the apps you can get on your phone. My Sony TV allows apps, but they are VERY limited. Tesla could do the same if they can protect their core safety and driving processes.
But that's why your Sony TV has a very limited number of apps, and they're likely useless.

Malware can be introduced into software via the "supply chain"... essentially a legit app decides to use a dependency which uses a dependency which uses a dependency that is also legit. Then one day that "grandchild" dependency gets bought by a bad actor who injects malware. The app makers update their dependencies and push them into their latest release and BAM... the malware is live.

I would *never* trust that Tesla has the resources to combat malware. Not when easy targets like good manual wipers have eluded them for years.
Also I suspect your Sony TV is running Google/Android TV with the Google Play store, which has a fairly mature app review process (including automated and manual checks) inherited from the Android mobile world. Building a process like that from scratch and keeping it up-to-date against all emerging threats and attack vectors (e.g. supply-chain attacks as @father_of_6 mentioned) is definitely not something Tesla has resources for, at least for the short term.

This brings back the question: given the clear low-hanging fruit of adding Android Auto and Apple CarPlay support, what's the hold back? And if the answer is to maintain a consistent UI or to have more control over their system, just note that Google is allowing OEMs to support Apple CarPlay on their Android Automotive OS (not Android Auto but the in-car OS currently powering Polestar and Volvo EVs), where there is already the Google Play store (admittedly with a limited app selection).

I thought it was going to be a more closed off app store. Just a new revenue stream for Tesla with apps by Tesla.

I agree, if it's an app store like Apple or Google, it's most likely a horrible idea due to security risk. It's next to impossible to really lock it down without an unrealistic review process having developers go through the code completely.

Twitter user @DeleetDesign shares their own custom, polished & working concept for a Tesla App Store!

”This literally looks like something Tesla would ship.”

Thoughts?

View attachment 770067

The challenge will be how much new coding do developers have to do to their APPs from the ones they write for Apple and Android to make it work on the Tesla UI. The other challenge is how the APPs use the screen real estate when parked and when driving. Tesla UI today does not have a multi-window and location concept. Their other problem is that they have old Model S&X portrait screens and then the Model 3/Y/New S/X landscape screens.

Tesla may release a store, but I think iniitally it will be limited to the Entertainment and games space.