Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Stuck in “Waking Up” mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m currently on 2018.21.9 and prior to this update my app worked great (iPhone X and wife has Galaxy S7.) but we can no longer get the app to connect when the car is in sleep mode (parked anywhere). If I go up to the car and open the door, let everything come on and then open the app it connects but not from sleep. Anyone else experiencing this? Same happening on my wife’s phone. We’ve tried the restarting your phone, airplane mode, and Bluetooth on and off.

• Informative
Reactions: Tonybvi
I concur with the advice above. I have had it happen to me as well and logging out and back in fixes it. I believe I had very similar symptoms that when I was close to the car and opened the door, it would connect right away but if I was at work or elsewhere, it would be stuck at “waking up”.

Same problem, fixed with Shygar's advice.
The app still shows the phone as key as disconnected.

I think I just might delete the app from my phone for a couple of months and give Tesla time to work out the kinks. Use of the card is not a big deal, and a whole lot less annoying than trying unsuccessfully to use the phone. And if by doing so I reduce vampire losses, all the better.

Temporarily fixed!! I tried the signing out and deleting the app with no luck but found another thread about restarting the tablet. I held down both buttons on the steering wheel for 10 seconds until the screen went black. After that put it in park waited an hour tested it and it worked. Then I waited two more hours tested the app again and worked.

Also I live in Vegas so using the app for me is a biggie as I’m always cooling down the car before I go out. Really the primary reason I’m in the app.

I’ve had my Model 3 for 8 months and had continuing problems. Although many issues are resolved, many recur or new ones occur. After reading many posts in the Club, I have to ask, did anyone see any notification from Tesla that we were buying a beta version of a new vehicle, or a fully tested, consistently reliable new vehicle for $60K? After 8 months I think it is reasonable to expect my role not be an early adopter beta tester. In fact, if this purchase were any other new vehicle, I would have no trouble returning it for a full refund under current Lemon laws rather than each day wondering whether I will be allowed into my car, whether it will go into drive, whether my app will wake up, whether the car will lock when I walk away, whether my phone will connect when I receive a call, whether I can get the radio to work, whether my windshield wipers will clear a sudden splash of water on it in Automatic mode, whether the car will suddenly and rapidly decelerate while in autopilot with absolutely no vehicle or other obstruction in sight ...

I’ve had my Model 3 for 8 months and had continuing problems. Although many issues are resolved, many recur or new ones occur. After reading many posts in the Club, I have to ask, did anyone see any notification from Tesla that we were buying a beta version of a new vehicle, or a fully tested, consistently reliable new vehicle for $60K? After 8 months I think it is reasonable to expect my role not be an early adopter beta tester. In fact, if this purchase were any other new vehicle, I would have no trouble returning it for a full refund under current Lemon laws rather than each day wondering whether I will be allowed into my car, whether it will go into drive, whether my app will wake up, whether the car will lock when I walk away, whether my phone will connect when I receive a call, whether I can get the radio to work, whether my windshield wipers will clear a sudden splash of water on it in Automatic mode, whether the car will suddenly and rapidly decelerate while in autopilot with absolutely no vehicle or other obstruction in sight ...
So why don't you?

Other manufacturers have these issues too, so tesla is not alone. In fact, tesla IS alone in actually updating much of anything after purchase. BMW doesnt, for example... and I have issues with bluetooth in my wifes 2016 X5 all the time. Even though I have what they call "enhanced bluetooth", it frequently drops, skips etc, with both apple and android devices. The head unit has been replaced and still same issue.

We finally figured out that, even though the enhanced bluetooth is supposed to support 2 phones, it does not seem to support two newer iphones. As soon as we turn off bluetooth on one of the phones, it works fine. BMW wont be doing anything to fix it however, and I dont care much because the car is a lease and is going back in a month (for another BMW ironically).

If the idea of having a tech forward car with frequent updates (and all that entails) did not excite you, then this was likely the wrong car. There IS no such thing as "perfect tech". The more complicated they get, the more failure points. Its much easier to have a car without bluetooth, than it is to support 5 different bluetooth versions, 2 different phone OS along with multiple versions of those OS, etc.

This is not a tesla issue per se in my mind, its a fragmentation issue. I would suggest ordering a keyfob as that would fix the "cant enter my car" issue for you, as I dont have that issue with the tesla.

My 1976 Monte Carlo I bought in high school for $500 never once failed to connect to an app, had a fob issue, had streaming stop, had the windshield wipers go at the wrong speed or had phantom braking. And it had an eight track player, something my $60k Tesla doesn't even have! (Unfortunately, I never owned an 8-track tape to play in it.)