Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App takes a repeated attempts over a long time to update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We took delivery of our Model 3 last week and it is on 2019.7.105 cc3d741. When I check the status of the car on my Tesla App (iPhone and iPad), it takes multiple attempts over a long period of time before it updates. First the status bar says Waking Up, then Vehicle Connection Error or Updated Yesterday. The car is 1,800 miles away, should be on WiFi. The App updates more quickly when at home with car nearby. Any knowledge of how this works and something I could do to improve the connection? I just want to check the charge and temp once daily.

Thanks!

AT&T signal weak where the car is located?

Once the car goes to sleep, WiFi connection is lost. It isn’t until the car wakes back up that it will reconnect to WiFi. So if you’re in a weak cellular area, wake on lan can’t wake the car back up, and force it back over to WiFi.

Thank you Solodogg, the ATT signal is indeed weak where the car is, that must be the problem. Surprised it ever wakes up, maybe when it needs to charge. I also was able to trigger the software update to 2019.12.1.2 from the App yesterday, so something must be getting through. Great car, cheers.

When I have my Sentry Mode activated it seems to wake up much faster. Is your car in a garage situation plugged in? Sentry mode will have some affect on battery and won't stay on if below 20%. If it's in a home garage it probably won't get triggered much unlike a public or apartment garage parking space (thinking file space and capacity of USB drive).

Today we went out to dinner in my car and went to turn on Sentry and neither of us could wake up the car, kept getting the spinning wheel and eventually vehicle connection error. Decided it must be a server issue and sure enough a number of minutes later we got access to it, so sometimes it could be due to that.