Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Touch ID?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can someone that uses the Touch ID in the app explain how it works?

My thought is that when you try to unlock your car you will get a message to touch your finger. Is this correct? If so, I can see this as added security to prevent someone from taking or finding your phone and being able to drive your car.

I was playing with it last night. When I would enable Touch ID in Settings, it would ask for my password and then toggle on Touch ID. When I closed Settings, the Phone Key was telling me to set up my phone as a key. When I clicked on this it started taking me through the steps of using my Key Card to validate my phone. Do you really need to remove your phone and then add it again?

TIA

I have Face ID and have never seen it actively used. Thought maybe it was used when I open the app but not shown (like in all other Apps). But since you are saying Touch ID isn't required to open the App I not sure.

I have Face ID and have never seen it actively used. Thought maybe it was used when I open the app but not shown (like in all other Apps). But since you are saying Touch ID isn't required to open the App I not sure.

I originally thought it would require Touch ID to open the app. After entering password and enabling Touch ID, I signed out of the account and when I signed back in I had to enter ID and Password. Touch ID did not work. I checked Touch ID in Settings and it was reset to off!?

For what is it using Touch ID? The only times I've had to enter any PW info after initial setup was 1) when the app was upgraded last year, and 2) when I recently upgraded my phone (with Face ID).

In playing with the app just now, the only time I could get it to ask for something was when I went to settings and it opened a web page in my browser. And the Face ID worked just fine.

Just curious

For what is it using Touch ID? The only times I've had to enter any PW info after initial setup was 1) when the app was upgraded last year, and 2) when I recently upgraded my phone (with Face ID).

In playing with the app just now, the only time I could get it to ask for something was when I went to settings and it opened a web page in my browser. And the Face ID worked just fine.

Just curious

That is what I was asking, how does Touch ID work? I just saw it in Settings and tried to set it up but could not get it to work.

I was hoping someone was using it and could explain.