Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Unable to Connect after Update to 20.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

bob_p

Apr 5, 2012
This week, received notification our 2017 S 100D (MCU1/HW3) was ready to install 20.44.

I started the installation using the Tesla app and received notification that the update began.

And never received notification the update completed. Hours later, I went to the vehicle and the release notes were displayed on the console, apparently indicating the update was finished. But the Tesla app was unable to connect to the vehicle.

The next day, the app still couldn't connect. I tried rebooting the console MCU1 processor - and that didn't help. I also noticed that the release notes showed up again - usually they are displayed once after an update is completed - and then must be displayed manually.

I then called Tesla customer support. They indicated the update never completed. I tried a reboot - and again the Tesla app couldn't connect - and again the release notes came back up. While on the phone waiting for Tesla to look at the log, the release notes popped back up - no matter what I did on the console, the release notes kept coming back after several minutes - and the app still couldn't connect. I was told Tesla would look at the logs, and someone would call me back (rather than continuing to wait on the phone).

Noone called me back the rest of the day.

I then did a Power Off, immediately followed by a console reboot - and the Tesla app connected successfully. It appeared the problem was solved!

But... This morning, the app didn't connect again. I tried a console reboot - that didn't help. I then tried the Power Off - reboot sequence again - and again the Tesla app was able to connect. But after a few minutes, it was disconnected, and again the app won't connect to the vehicle.

I suspect there is a problem with handling sleep mode - when the vehicle goes into sleep, it's not maintaining the network (even though "stay connected" is checked in the settings).

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Since our MCU1 is scheduled for replacement (with radio) on 11/17, it's probably not worth spending much time on getting this issue fixed, since the problem is likely with either our MCU1 or the failed software update, and when the MCU2 is installed, the vehicle will probably get a new software update.

This week, received notification our 2017 S 100D (MCU1/HW3) was ready to install 20.44.

I started the installation using the Tesla app and received notification that the update began.

And never received notification the update completed. Hours later, I went to the vehicle and the release notes were displayed on the console, apparently indicating the update was finished. But the Tesla app was unable to connect to the vehicle.

The next day, the app still couldn't connect. I tried rebooting the console MCU1 processor - and that didn't help. I also noticed that the release notes showed up again - usually they are displayed once after an update is completed - and then must be displayed manually.

I then called Tesla customer support. They indicated the update never completed. I tried a reboot - and again the Tesla app couldn't connect - and again the release notes came back up. While on the phone waiting for Tesla to look at the log, the release notes popped back up - no matter what I did on the console, the release notes kept coming back after several minutes - and the app still couldn't connect. I was told Tesla would look at the logs, and someone would call me back (rather than continuing to wait on the phone).

Noone called me back the rest of the day.

I then did a Power Off, immediately followed by a console reboot - and the Tesla app connected successfully. It appeared the problem was solved!

But... This morning, the app didn't connect again. I tried a console reboot - that didn't help. I then tried the Power Off - reboot sequence again - and again the Tesla app was able to connect. But after a few minutes, it was disconnected, and again the app won't connect to the vehicle.

I suspect there is a problem with handling sleep mode - when the vehicle goes into sleep, it's not maintaining the network (even though "stay connected" is checked in the settings).

Has anyone else seen this problem?

Since our MCU1 is scheduled for replacement (with radio) on 11/17, it's probably not worth spending much time on getting this issue fixed, since the problem is likely with either our MCU1 or the failed software update, and when the MCU2 is installed, the vehicle will probably get a new software update.

Maybe obvious, but I thought I would at least mention logging out of the app and logging back in. I know you rebooted the MCU, but was not sure if you did anything on the app side.

Tried logging out and logging in on the app.

Tried clearing the cache and data on the app.

Also verified the same problem exists with the app on other devices.

And, have been able to briefly get the app to work after going through a Power Off-MCU reboot sequence in the S.

That appears to rule out any problems with the app, since it fails on multiple devices (even when the app has been reset) - and it works immediately after the vehicle has powered off and rebooted.