Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app unable to wake car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How many other Australian customers would have 60,000+ SIM cards in the field on the one account?

$ value they may not be as large as some corporates as I assume IoT pricing is somewhat cheaper than voice + data packages.
The power meter from your utility that sends usage data back to the utility every 30 minutes, in WA at least if you've got a new house or had solar installed in the last few years they've installed a smart meter that sends billing data (usage and generation) on 30 minute intervals. That's 400,000 smart meters in WA based on stats on solar uptake.

Wasn't claiming Tesla would be the largest just at 60,000+ they would be significant to Telstra's IoT business.

Believe most power utilities aggregate data from smart metres using power line signalling, RF or low power Wifi, then possibly be mobile - so number of SIMs is lower.

EFTPOS possibly, although its split between many banks and non-banks like Tyro, and a lot of machines are using Wifi these days.

ATMs are now down to about 6000 nationwide, and also split

NSW Opal system covers I believe 20000 buses and probably a handful of ferry or light rail stops. I suspect stations are fixed line.

Reactions: danwale
Mine worked this morning early (again, after yesterday morning worked for me too), and again just now also.

@hillgun it isn’t really a big problem if it is still happening for your car now. If the car isn’t asleep - that is if it is charging or it has sentry mode on - then everything is working as normal; you can turn on/off the HVAC, check charging progress, watch the sentry cameras live, etc. You will only have difficulty if the car is asleep and you want to wake it remotely - from further away than Bluetooth range from the car - or perhaps if you use 3rd party smart charging software (like ChargeHQ) and it wants to remotely wake the car in order to start a charging session.

It should be fixed anyway, either already or soon, for your car. It’s unfortunate but it seems, based on it not being a global issue, that one particular telco (Telstra) changed something which broke the sending of the special “wake up” SMS message - and it sounds like also broke something for remote connectivity for Kia EVs at the same time - and it’s taken a couple of days to be put right by either Telstra or Tesla.

Reactions: hillgun
Mine worked this morning early (again, after yesterday morning worked for me too), and again just now also.

@hillgun it isn’t really a big problem if it is still happening for your car now. If the car isn’t asleep - that is if it is charging or it has sentry mode on - then everything is working as normal; you can turn on/off the HVAC, check charging progress, watch the sentry cameras live, etc. You will only have difficulty if the car is asleep and you want to wake it remotely - from further away than Bluetooth range from the car - or perhaps if you use 3rd party smart charging software (like ChargeHQ) and it wants to remotely wake the car in order to start a charging session.

It should be fixed anyway, either already or soon, for your car. It’s unfortunate but it seems, based on it not being a global issue, that one particular telco (Telstra) changed something which broke the sending of the special “wake up” SMS message - and it sounds like also broke something for remote connectivity for Kia EVs at the same time - and it’s taken a couple of days to be put right by either Telstra or Tesla.
Thank you Ted. It seems to working now. I am able to wake up now.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
No, a cellular device in idle mode does not have an IP address and therefore it is not “network attached”. If it was network attached, it would not need to be paged, but instead could be directly communicated with over TCP/IP.

Cellular devices in idle mode need to be powered up to listen for incoming pages, but that does not take much power.
hmm well it is a network - just because it doesn't have an ip - i mean it has an address - and it does check in - so the mobile network knows where to send traffic for that device.. as i said, the only actually passive device is a pager - which is why they are permitted in parts of hospitals where mobiles are not.

All I could get from them was a Telstra issue. It's interesting that from their communication it sounded like the fix was not applied to all vehicles at the same time. Maybe an automated process had to work through all devices.
The fix isn't applied to the vehicles, it's applied at the Telstra LTE network hubs.

This is why the Kia Connect service for example, came back online around the same time.

The fix isn't applied to the vehicles, it's applied at the Telstra LTE network hubs.

This is why the Kia Connect service for example, came back online around the same time.
Just because it's a network fix doesn't make it incorrect to say that it wasn't applied to all vehicles at the same time. Maybe it would be more correct to say it was not applied to the LTE service of all vehicles simultaneously.

We don't know what the problem is/was. It's interesting that whatever the fix, it was not applied to all services at the same time. Whether this means it was rolled out progressively to LTE hubs or it required the LTE connection to be reset and the network fix was applied when the new connection was established, etc...

We don't know what the problem is/was. It's interesting that whatever the fix, it was not applied to all services at the same time. Whether this means it was rolled out progressively to LTE hubs or it required the LTE connection to be reset and the network fix was applied when the new connection was established, etc...

Suspect it's more geographic than anything. Telstra has a bunch of data centres and comms hubs around the country, and it might be a case of having to deploy or propagate the changes. Appears that people in Sydney were seeing the fix an hour or two before brisbane and so on.