Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App update (can limit max speed in app)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm betting this feature was added due to the fatal accident that happened in Florida recently where teenagers were driving way too fast.

This update will allow owners to limit how fast their cars can be driven without needing to get Tesla involved. I suppose it could be useful for parents as well as those who rent their cars out on Turo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shateam
I would think this would be on the bottom of the todo list...I can't imagine many people buying their kids $60k+ cars...

Cool feature but out of all of the other stuff why spend resources on this? It's like them updating another easter egg or something. Also seems dumb they'd update just the app with only this feature when it won't even work yet.

I would think this would be on the bottom of the todo list...I can't imagine many people buying their kids $60k+ cars...

Cool feature but out of all of the other stuff why spend resources on this? It's like them updating another easter egg or something. Also seems dumb they'd update just the app with only this feature when it won't even work yet.
Seriously, where is my camper mode and summon?!

Seriously, where is my camper mode and summon?!
This feature will save lives...and could've saved two lives had it been available and active last month. While camper mode and summon would be nice to have, those features probably won't save (m)any lives.

This feature will save lives...and could've saved two lives had it been available and active last month. While camper mode and summon would be nice to have, those features probably won't save (m)any lives.

Darwin working his magic. Blind spot detection would save more lives if you're worried about that. This *might* save a life, doubt it, they'll just get around it or find another stupid thing to do.

• Helpful
Reactions: SlicedBr3ad
This feature will save lives...and could've saved two lives had it been available and active last month.

I thought that kid's car had been speed limited by Tesla after his speeding ticket. And it didn't help. (Well maybe it did, there could have been bystanders killed if he was going faster.)

Or are you talking about something I haven't seen?

Now if they could make it limit to the speed limit, or 5 over, that might help. But at this point their speed limit information isn't good enough for that.

Darwin working his magic. Blind spot detection would save more lives if you're worried about that. This *might* save a life, doubt it, they'll just get around it or find another stupid thing to do.
Blind spot detection is coming soon...but it won't be in the phone app, of course.

I thought that kid's car had been speed limited by Tesla after his speeding ticket. And it didn't help. (Well maybe it did, there could have been bystanders killed if he was going faster.)

Or are you talking about something I haven't seen?

Now if they could make it limit to the speed limit, or 5 over, that might help. But at this point their speed limit information isn't good enough for that.
They had Tesla limit the speed but Tesla set it to something like 85 or 90 mph, as they do with loaners. This software change allows the owner to limit it even more, down to 50 mph and they can do this without having to contact Tesla. Had the teens only been driving 50 mph instead of 70 mph or 90 mph in a 30 mph zone, they would've had a better chance of surviving.

I'm betting this feature was added due to the fatal accident that happened in Florida recently where teenagers were driving way too fast.

This update will allow owners to limit how fast their cars can be driven without needing to get Tesla involved. I suppose it could be useful for parents as well as those who rent their cars out on Turo.

Heck I'd turn that on for my own car. In the last 10 years I can count on one hand the number of times I even wanted to go over 90 mph let alone actually do it.

I'd probably just set the max speed to 90 permanently and forget about it. Doesn't matter if I'm driving, my wife is, a friend, a rental customer, a coworker, a thief. Whoevers driving I'd just cap the speed.

No speed limits in my part of the world over 65. I do see speed limits of 70 if I go far enough east or west, like if I go to Asheville or Nashville but even then the only way I'm doing over 80 is for an avoidance maneuver if someone approaches me from the side or rear in an unsafe manner and then I'm back down to a slower speed once I get enough distance between us.

For my daily driving I don't even need to be able to exceed 75 but I don't want to have to constantly fiddle with the limit so I'd pick a number high enough for some what ifs and leave it there. Heck I'd be tempted to set the limit to 80 and adjust to to 90 only if I'm planning to leave my home metro area on a long trip.

I can't imagine many people buying their kids $60k+ cars...

Probably the two types of drivers most likely to have an accident are teenage boys and very old people with failing eye sight
(better be careful, will be me soon). Teslas are the safest cars on the road. Personally, I think it is a good investment if you have a teenage boy and have enough money. However, I wish Tesla would allow us to lock chill mode in from our phone as well because the crazy acceleration is just as dangerous and is often how one mistakingly finds themselves at crazy speeds.

“Here’s my Tesla son. I’ve installed a gps tracker and will monitor your speed, if you go over 75 at any point in time you will not drive for 3 months. If you go over 80 you won’t drive for six months. Enjoy hanging out with the boys.”

People need to take responsibly, this is the same with autopilot. Everyone blames everyone but themselves.

Waste of engineering resources.

I get teh point, but parents should take full responsibility for giving a teenager a sports car.

I'll never forget a Xmas holiday crash which happened in our region years ago. Kid was a near-do-well, but 'got his act together' senior year. Dad got him a slightly used Z-Car for a holiday present. Kid wrapped it around a tree the next day. Dead.

I guarantee that this app update also includes bug fixes that are not mentioned in the release notes. My guess is that this was an easy feature to implement so why not do it? Also by releasing the app update before the new Tesla vehicle software rolls out they can make sure you can use the new feature immediately when your car updates. Plus sometimes app update approvals through Apple can take a little while, so better to get it through early in case it takes a while to review the app update before it is published on the App Store.

“Here’s my Tesla son. I’ve installed a gps tracker and will monitor your speed, if you go over 75 at any point in time you will not drive for 3 months. If you go over 80 you won’t drive for six months. Enjoy hanging out with the boys.”

People need to take responsibly, this is the same with autopilot. Everyone blames everyone but themselves.

Waste of engineering resources.
This is a good point. And I agree. But I assume it was super easy as the code is already on the car side. Now if they just sent a push message or log entry if the speed was hit, then no need to purchase a HOA tracker and monthly service.

Edit to add - it also limits acceleration per the release note.

Reactions: PoitNarf
Rapid acceleration can be just as bad as speed for young drivers, and in driving conditions that are less than ideal for sure. Glad to offer this limiting factor to anyone that might drive my car.

Thanks Tesla for doing something smart. Also thanks for improving my cars as you go. Most often other makes make you buy a new car or stop supporting the car altogether.

Reactions: PoitNarf

I'm going to put my foot in my mouth, I have a feeling that the kids that were driving and the parents that gave their kids $130k car would not be using that feature.