Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Upgrades and Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure if this is the best area to post this but here goes. I am finding a changed behavior in the app regarding charge limit. Not sure if this is a function of the recent software updates, the relatively cold weather or both. By cold overnight lows in the high-teens or low 20s. So not exactly artic cold. As a note, this is not my first winter with the vehicle and I did not experience this last year during cold weather.

The other day, I set my limit the other day to 74% and when I went to turn on the climate before leaving this morning, it displayed 71%. The area up to 71% was green and space between 71 and 74 blue. I have never seen the blue zone displayed before. More concerning is why the charging did not remain at the preset 74%. Never had that happen before. I have had it charge 1-2% above the limit before.

The issue with under-charging by 2-4% has now occurred three days in a row. If I am plugged into shore power, I would expect the vehicle to maintain the charge to the limit I set. I don't want to set a 5% higher limit in order to reach the limit which is desired. I want to have confidence in the setting.

Anyone else experiencing this and thoughts? Thanks.

Is there a blue snow flake symbol displayed next to the battery on both the app and the car? (What I personally call, being snowflak'ed) If so, what that means is that the car is holding some of the charge in reserve because the battery temperature is too cold. Once you start driving and the battery warms up then the charge that has always been there will be restored. It begins to show up once the temp gets down into the 20s. Well below that a significant portion can be snowflak'ed. It's perfectly normal and a safety feature to protect the battery. I would just keep doing what you're doing. That snowflake is a warning to not drive around in winter with a low state of charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Bouba and MrWattson
Thank you for that information and clarification. On Saturday, I did see the snowflake on the in-car display. This was the first day I noticed the issue and it was 16F degrees. The next two mornings, I did not go out to car to check the display.

This does explain what I experienced, so thank you. Is this something newer or did it exist last year? I did not notice it last year but, admittedly, I was driving less pre-vaccine era and may not have noticed it due to that.