Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App Utility plan configuration: Multiple Peaks, Buy/Sell Behavior, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regardless of whether you are on NEM 1 or 2, the first priority should be using your solar and PowerWall energy for everything but Off-Peak. What happens during Off-Peak is usually of less consequence. The considerations are whether you have NEM 2 Non-Bypassable Charges and how paranoid you are about using more battery cycles than are absolutely necessary. I personally don’t think letting PowerWalls discharge during overnight EV charging is a good idea. If you are home during Off-Peak sunlight hours, charging straight from solar is much better.
It depends on your situation. I'm on NEM2, EV2A, time based control, 50% reserve, and have my Powerwalls set to only discharge during the peak hours of 4pm-9pm. I'm a net producer and still managed to overproduce by 900kWh this year. The $0.05/kWh PG&E would compensate me for more surplus during partial peak isn't worth the additional wear on the Powerwalls to me.

What an exceptionally helpful thread! Does anybody have any thoughts on the following issue?

We're trying to achieve a reasonably simple Time Based Control nuance, using 2 PWs and a Smart Gateway, coupled to a 10kWp 32 panel solar array. We publish reasonably comprehensive data on our set up and the financial and CO2 savings it delivers at How to Electrify Your Life, Save Loads of Money and Save the Planet

We have a simple TOU tariff (Octopus Go Faster, UK), which has only Peak and Off Peak rates (no Shoulder rate, etc.). The off peak window is 20:30 to 01:30; all the rest of the day is peak, from 01:30 to 20:30.

With the app set to Time Based Control, 0% reserved for grid outages, and Grid Charging set to "Yes", the system performs as we want it to, along the following lines. Let's assume the daily cycle starts with the batteries at 0% SOC at 20:30 to make things clearer.

A: During the 20:30 to 01:30 Off Peak window, the PWs charge from 0% to 100% using off peak grid import.
B: From 01:30 to some point in the day, the PWs discharge to power all loads in the house, depleting to 0% in the winter months.
C: At some point in the day (which can be either before or after B, depending on season) surplus solar starts recharging the PWs.
D: At some point in the afternoon/evening, there is no more surplus solar and the PWs stop charging (or when they reach 100% in summer).
E: From D onwards, residual solar powers the house and the PWs remain at the SOC they reached at D.
F: When residual solar is insufficient to power the house, the PWs blend in and discharge as required to top up whatever residual solar is available.
G: When ALL solar stops, the PWs entirely power the house, until they deplete to 0%
H: If G is reached before 20:30, expensive peak grid import powers the house.

And then the cycle starts again. All working as expected, simple and transparent. Off peak grid powers the house AND recharges the PWs during the 20:30 to 01:30 window. If the PWs are full of solar at 20:30, they will continue to power the house into the off-peak. In high summer, the PWs will entirely power the house throughout the 01:30 to 20:30 peak period, with the whole charge/discharge cycle being exclusively powered by solar, without the need for overnight off peak grid imports to charge the batteries.

Now here comes the nuance we're seeking to achieve. Is there any way to convince the PWs to remain at 100% from the end of the grid off peak window until some LATER time we specify, so that they don't start discharging straight away? We want deliberately to allow PEAK electricity to power the house from 01:30 until our specified later time (let's say 06:00 for example). We want PW discharge to kick in at that specified time, not immediately at 01:30.

Could this be done by 'pretending' to have medium peak rate?

We're trying to do this to optimise PW discharge into the time it's most valuable to us, typically the 06:00 to 09:00 period, when heat pumps are at maximum load, electric bathroom radiators are on, our MX and Leaf are usually preconditioning and we're boiling the kettle (because Brits can't start the day without tea). Delaying the start of the discharge also gives the PWs a better chance of continuously 100% powering the house without the need for peak grid imports until the solar starts up in the autumn and spring months.

We're also trying to get finer grained control over discharge and charge timings, so that we're in a position to fully exploit the upcoming Octopus 'Savings Sessions' implementation of the National Grid "Demand Flexibility Service" during the coming winter. This is a UK scheme under which very large subsidies will be paid to eliminate demand from SPECIFIC peak periods (say 17:00 to 17:30 on a given day) to avoid grid outages during the most constrained periods. With incentives of £4 to 6 per kWh being proposed (which is FAR more than our Off Peak and Peak grid tariffs), having the CERTAIN knowledge that there will be sufficient juice in the Powerwall to give the house a ZERO grid import requirement in the target slot is super-important. And as these slots are most likely to be in the EVENING peaks, starting the PWs discharge LATER on a winter's day is the way to achieve the desired result. In short: we don't want to be in position where we cannot power the house from the PWs during those superpeak demand slots. We don't want to import a single electron in those periods!

Any thoughts from the assembled geniuses on this thread would be hugely appreciated.

Finally, on a related note, we've spotted that Version 22.18.3.21c0ad81 of the app FORCES the user to enter a sell price for each specified period in the Utility Rate. And it will NOT accept zero as the sell rate, so we had to enter £0.01. This does not reflect our particular reality: we don't get paid to export on a metered basis, we get a 'deemed export' subsidy under the old UK Feed In Tariff scheme. We do not want the AI to think there is ANY value in EVER exporting energy to the grid.

@TyneTes Nice post.

As you have peak rates from 1:30 to 8:30, any grid draw during that window is peak. I am sure that I must be missing something, but what benefit accrues for having the Powerwalls power your morning energy demand? I.e. if you pull a total of 10kWh from the grid between 1:30-20:30, and you have a flat power rate, how does it matter when you pull the power?

All the best,

BG

It appears that the energy went to house. Do you have an EV that was charging from 12:00am and on? If the house load is correct you had a pretty constant 2.4-2.6kW load until sometime after 6:00am and that might be an EV charger. If not, then what in your house has this kind of constant draw at night?

The Export Controls should be in Settings -> Powerwall Powerwall Modes | Tesla Support This isn't available in my app, so I've never seen it live. I do have the Grid Charging option, but that doesn't make any sense for my usage so I don't use it.

The third party app (BTW, what is that?) was showing large amounts (up to 6kW) of both solar and grid exports on 8/28, so it seems like you have PTO. The Tesla app for the same day was showing a lot less at just 1.9 kW from solar that was going to the grid or to the Powerwall with zero house load. The Tesla app grid screenshot for 6/28 was showing less than a 1kW from 12:00am-6:30am and then 0kW until 6:30pm.

The 3rd party app appears to have valid data, but the Tesla app is all messed up. Take a look at your smartmeter and see what it is reporting for kW versus the Tesla app and your 3rd party app. You can use this to convince the Tesla Support to get someone out to fix all of the CT monitoring.

Hello Redhill_qik,
Tesla eventually sent new CT and installer replaced it, which did make the reporting more accurate, with one strange occurrence that very often, a trickle (.01 to .05 kWh) of solar reporting often at nighttime….. I did post screenshots a week ago in this thread.
Regardless, things are functioning better, however I still would love to be able to have the grid fill our Powerwall (2) during off-peak hours (midnight to 3pm), ideally at midnight, and hold the Powerwall at 100% reserve, until either the next power-outage or our daily peak-rate time (3pm until midnight). We keep our reserve PW settings at 60%, and I have the off-grid electric vehicle setting (we don’t charge daily as infrequent usage) 80% home/ 20% vehicle charge, just incase this effects things.
Even at this time of the year, when we have an overcast day the solar array cannot feed daily household use + recharge the powerwall, so I would like to set things up so PW charges from grid during off-peak.
If you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Thank you!

Last edited:
I have a system consisting of a small (3.8 kW) solar panel array and one PowerWall 2. I'm on SMUD, and used the Grid Charging mode over the summer, which I felt worked very well for that scenario. Now in October, we've moved into the non-summer pricing schedule, where all day is off-peak except for a 5-8pm peak period. I decided to request Tesla enable the Export Everything feature on my account, which they did.

So, yesterday, I tried the Export Everything feature for the first time. The first thing that I noticed was that my PowerWall was not charging from solar as I'd expected on the TBC setting. I gave it until a bit after noon, but still it was sending all my solar power to the grid with my PW at ~80%. I changed the mode over to Self-Powered, which topped the PW up to 100%, then switched back to TBC mode. At 5:00 (peak start) the PW started dumping about 4kW to the grid, and continued doing so until it hit my 30% reserve at 6:45pm. Then I was left pulling peak grid power from 6:45 to 8:00pm, which certainly isn't ideal.

I guess my goal with this would be to not have to manually change modes daily, and for it to be smart enough to modulate power exported to the grid so that the 5-8pm peak period house load is covered by the PW, and the PW exports power to the grid and ends up near my reserve at the end of peak. Is there a combination of settings that would make this possible? Or maybe my system just needs time to re-learn everything since I've switched from Grid Charging to Export Everything? If that's the case, what can I do to expedite?

Last edited:
I guess my goal with this would be to not have to manually change modes daily, and for it to be smart enough to modulate power exported to the grid so that the 5-8pm peak period house load is covered by the PW, and the PW exports power to the grid and ends up near my reserve at the end of peak. Is there a combination of settings that would make this possible? Or maybe my system just needs time to re-learn everything since I've switched from Grid Charging to Export Everything? If that's the case, what can I do to expedite?
Do you still have a mid-peak period in your rate plan? The Powerwalls seem to optimize to minimize charging during mid-peak. They normally charge just enough to cover peak usage. I thought "export everything" should override that, though, so I'm not sure that's your issue.

If you want the Powerwalls not to import during the peak period, set the export price slightly lower than the import price. That way the Powerwalls will slow the discharge down when getting close to reserve so they can offset house usage for the whole peak period. I understand that as the Powerwalls learn your usage patterns, they may smooth out usage even more. I don't run this way because I'm on NEM 1, so exporting everything at the beginning of peak works fine for me.

• Informative
Reactions: UCIBtheG
Do you still have a mid-peak period in your rate plan? The Powerwalls seem to optimize to minimize charging during mid-peak. They normally charge just enough to cover peak usage. I thought "export everything" should override that, though, so I'm not sure that's your issue.

If you want the Powerwalls not to import during the peak period, set the export price slightly lower than the import price. That way the Powerwalls will slow the discharge down when getting close to reserve so they can offset house usage for the whole peak period. I understand that as the Powerwalls learn your usage patterns, they may smooth out usage even more. I don't run this way because I'm on NEM 1, so exporting everything at the beginning of peak works fine for me.
No mid peak in this October-May season, just super off-peak from midnight to 6 am, peak 5-8pm, and off-peak the rest of the time. That is the weekday schedule, weekends and holidays have no peak period. It would be nice if Tesla could add holidays to accommodate plans that make those off-peak all day.

The PowerWall seems to be fully charging off solar today. I just made your suggested change of making the peak buy price slightly higher than the sell. I'll continue monitoring and see if it behaves more like the way I'm hoping tonight.

Thanks for the response!

No mid peak in this October-May season, just super off-peak from midnight to 6 am, peak 5-8pm, and off-peak the rest of the time. That is the weekday schedule, weekends and holidays have no peak period. It would be nice if Tesla could add holidays to accommodate plans that make those off-peak all day.

The PowerWall seems to be fully charging off solar today. I just made your suggested change of making the peak buy price slightly higher than the sell. I'll continue monitoring and see if it behaves more like the way I'm hoping tonight.

Thanks for the response!
Ok - I think the issue is the super off-peak. If you have three different rates, the middle rate is treated the way you described. Removing that rate from the rate plan would probably prevent this from ever happening. If the batteries do charge to 100% today, that won't be necessary, though. My experience with "export everything" is that it will charge to 100% during the mid-rate, so maybe it takes a day to kick in.

Ok - I think the issue is the super off-peak. If you have three different rates, the middle rate is treated the way you described. Removing that rate from the rate plan would probably prevent this from ever happening. If the batteries do charge to 100% today, that won't be necessary, though. My experience with "export everything" is that it will charge to 100% during the mid-rate, so maybe it takes a day to kick in.
Well, yesterday it ended up charging to about 90% and stopping, but it did do a perfect landing at my reserve level just as the peak period ended. Hopefully it will charge up to 100% as it continues learning.

Well, yesterday it ended up charging to about 90% and stopping, but it did do a perfect landing at my reserve level just as the peak period ended. Hopefully it will charge up to 100% as it continues learning.
I'm not sure there's any learning that would fix this. My guess is the only learning it's doing is to try to predict your usage. This shouldn't affect how far it charges in this case, since any extra discharge during peak should be profitable. I think merging the super-off-peak and off-peak periods would probably make the algorithm charge fully before peak (as long as there's enough sun for it).

Today it reverted back to not sending solar power to charge the PowerWall, so shortly after noon I changed back to Self-Powered mode, which powers the home with solar and sends the leftover power to the PowerWall. That still isn't ideal; I'd like all the solar power to go to charging the PowerWall. So, I took your advice and deleted the super off-peak time period, so now all day is off-peak except for the 5-8 peak. I switched back to Time-Based Control, gave it a few minutes, and still all my excess solar power is going to the grid instead of the PowerWall. I also tried setting the Sell price for off peak to be a penny less than the Buy price (to match what I did for the peak period), but it made no difference.

Not sure what to do next.

EDIT: I guess the few minutes wasn't long enough, I see now that all solar is going to the PowerWall like I was hoping for. There likely won't be enough solar left to bring it up from its current 63% to reach 100% today. Will cross fingers that I can not fiddle with any more settings tomorrow and it will work as expected.

Reactions: JJ-Moonstone
I believe some Powerwall and solar customers have figured out how to configure the timing of charging their PW from the grid. If so, please can you help us! We have 12kw solar and two PW, are on PGE EV2A, and our off peak rates are from midnight to 3pm. We set the backup reserve to 60%/40% to get us through the daily peak hours. Our ideal would be for the PW to charge up at the beginning of our off peak (after midnight) so that our powerwall is charged up to 100% and ready for our somewhat frequent power outages. In summertime this is not so important, as the solar will charge up the PW to 100%, but yesterday was a good example of why we want to set up this ability. Screenshots attached here. Grid charging has been turned on in the app, but no ability to set that to our desired time. If anyone can help, much appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• B6D111AC-9887-4D78-9414-9849DDF93A92.jpeg
    B6D111AC-9887-4D78-9414-9849DDF93A92.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 172
  • 8ED9681F-D73E-4723-AE3C-69D8D0FB7C13.jpeg
    8ED9681F-D73E-4723-AE3C-69D8D0FB7C13.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 33
  • C26B82DE-2A81-426E-8B09-8922AADBF32A.jpeg
    C26B82DE-2A81-426E-8B09-8922AADBF32A.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 619248DA-5724-45D3-A25A-DECD43E92D84.jpeg
    619248DA-5724-45D3-A25A-DECD43E92D84.jpeg
    95.8 KB · Views: 37
I believe some Powerwall and solar customers have figured out how to configure the timing of charging their PW from the grid. If so, please can you help us! We have 12kw solar and two PW, are on PGE EV2A, and our off peak rates are from midnight to 3pm. We set the backup reserve to 60%/40% to get us through the daily peak hours. Our ideal would be for the PW to charge up at the beginning of our off peak (after midnight) so that our powerwall is charged up to 100% and ready for our somewhat frequent power outages. In summertime this is not so important, as the solar will charge up the PW to 100%, but yesterday was a good example of why we want to set up this ability. Screenshots attached here. Grid charging has been turned on in the app, but no ability to set that to our desired time. If anyone can help, much appreciated. Thank you
In my experience grid charging on time-based control kicks in at midnight (I'm also on EV2-A). Are you seeing something different? It seems to leave some room for solar production, but seems very conservative. When I tried grid charging, the Powerwalls charged to a point where they hit 100% around 11 am.

Thanks cwied. I notice that just after midnight when our off-peak time begins that the powerwall does charge just a little, 2-5%, but then stops…..
I have attached pic of our time-of-use settings, modified in our endless experiment to try and control when the Powerwalls recharge (from either grid or solar). Please can you let me know what TOU settings you use as there maybe something else for us to try. Thanks!

Attachments

• 26F133ED-F8A0-466B-9EEB-16FA55E9122E.jpeg
    26F133ED-F8A0-466B-9EEB-16FA55E9122E.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 38
Thanks cwied. I notice that just after midnight when our off-peak time begins that the powerwall does charge just a little, 2-5%, but then stops…..
I have attached pic of our time-of-use settings, modified in our endless experiment to try and control when the Powerwalls recharge (from either grid or solar). Please can you let me know what TOU settings you use as there maybe something else for us to try. Thanks!

I use the standard Tesla configuration for the hours. I've modified the configuration to have a spread between buy and sell for the off-peak so I minimize exports before 3pm.
One possibility here is that my experience is different because I don't normally run with grid charging enabled. It's possible that your system thinks it will have enough solar during the day that it doesn't need to charge from the grid. I only have 6.3 kW of solar, so I just barely can fill the Powerwalls from 33% by 3pm at this time of year.

F7AA014B-6800-4C8B-8B3D-3DBD7553D352.png

I use the standard Tesla configuration for the hours. I've modified the configuration to have a spread between buy and sell for the off-peak so I minimize exports before 3pm.
One possibility here is that my experience is different because I don't normally run with grid charging enabled. It's possible that your system thinks it will have enough solar during the day that it doesn't need to charge from the grid. I only have 6.3 kW of solar, so I just barely can fill the Powerwalls from 33% by 3pm at this time of year.

View attachment 866230
Thank you cwied. I will try some of your suggestions and report back!

Hi guys!
I've tried using the peak, time of use option within the app. It works kinda but it's not ideal because I'd like to end every day at 0% around 8am the next day when it starts charging again.
What would be ideal is to have my system run non-stop until it hits 20% remaining battery.
Once it hits 20% I want to reserve that for 5am when my time of use starts.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? Maybe through a 3rd party app or similar?

Edit:
Thanks to whomever moved my post, sorry for the mistake!

Last edited:
Hi guys!
I've tried using the peak, time of use option within the app. It works kinda but it's not ideal because I'd like to end every day at 0% around 8am the next day when it starts charging again.
What would be ideal is to have my system run non-stop until it hits 20% remaining battery.
Once it hits 20% I want to reserve that for 5am when my time of use starts.

Does anyone know of a way to do this? Maybe through a 3rd party app or similar?

Edit:
Thanks to whomever moved my post, sorry for the mistake!
Set your Powerwall to self powered.

Or set your battery limit to 20%, then set the peak time to end later. For example, if your peak time ends at 9:00pm and you still have 60% battery left after 4 hours of use, make it end at 8:00am the next day. If you hit 20% before 8:00am it will stop discharging. If it doesn't reach 20% by then, then the worst you have is extra power left over.

Set your Powerwall to self powered.

Or set your battery limit to 20%, then set the peak time to end later. For example, if your peak time ends at 9:00pm and you still have 60% battery left after 4 hours of use, make it end at 8:00am the next day. If you hit 20% before 8:00am it will stop discharging. If it doesn't reach 20% by then, then the worst you have is extra power left over.
I'm not sure I understand, sorry.
If I set my battery limit to 20% (which I can do using the stormwatch feature or car charge feature), the only way I know of to remove that 20% limitation would be to set an alarm for 5am every morning and remove it, then go back to sleep.

Am I mistaken in this?