Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app version 4.0.0 has app re design for both car and energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I posted this separately, before I saw this thread. Does anyone know if it is still possible to get a list of “backup events”—i.e., the times when grid power has been unavailable? We have so many power outages here in Northern California, and I relied on that data to know if my PG&E power went out overnight or when I was away from home. I’ve looked everywhere in the app (I think) and haven’t found it.

I posted this separately, before I saw this thread. Does anyone know if it is still possible to get a list of “backup events”—i.e., the times when grid power has been unavailable? We have so many power outages here in Northern California, and I relied on that data to know if my PG&E power went out overnight or when I was away from home. I’ve looked everywhere in the app (I think) and haven’t found it.
From the main screen, choose Impact, then scroll all the way to the bottom, then click View All Events
The previous version used to show the last 24 months of history, but V4 appears to only show events from this year and last year. I know there were events in November and December 2019 that are no longer shown.

Anyone fully explored these graphs? They come come toggling the little bar graph thing just about the powerwall icon.

You can see the side effect of me accidentally putting it in the time based mode instead of the self consumption that I had been running.
Yes, I think they are great when looking at the monthly view, very easy to see PW performance and associated losses. Unfortunately the viewed data is not part of the data that is downloaded to the CSV file, but that may improve over time.

How can we go back to the old display? It was much better, if not so pretty. I may be weird but I like to see everything at once. There may be some improvement somewhere, but is it worth the huge cost of having to switch around the display modes to get the whole picture?
If you have Android, you can use APKMirror to install v3 again and then configure the app not to update automatically.

Reactions: h2ofun
From the main screen, choose Impact, then scroll all the way to the bottom, then click View All Events
The previous version used to show the last 24 months of history, but V4 appears to only show events from this year and last year. I know there were events in November and December 2019 that are no longer shown.
Thank you!! There it is. I guess when I was clicking around looking for it I didn’t realize that that screen had more to scroll down through. Thanks so much for your help.

I'm so glad I disabled auto update on my android for the app. What's really interesting was when I checked the google play store yesterday the app update was available for manual update to version 4. I didn't update it. I looked today and the update is gone. I wonder if somebody got the word that a lot of people are not happy with the update.

Reactions: aesculus
I'm so glad I disabled auto update on my android for the app. What's really interesting was when I checked the google play store yesterday the app update was available for manual update to version 4. I didn't update it. I looked today and the update is gone. I wonder if somebody got the word that a lot of people are not happy with the update.
It could be that they still have a very limited Android rollout. None of the 5 Android devices in our household have received it yet and nobody that I know personally has received it.

I did update one of the devices manually with the latest version this morning. While it did add volt display to the charging information, it didn't do anything to address the new energy report graphs or the removal of balanced mode.

How can we go back to the old display? It was much better, if not so pretty. I may be weird but I like to see everything at once. There may be some improvement somewhere, but is it worth the huge cost of having to switch around the display modes to get the whole picture?

I actually dug around the house to find an old iPhone 6 I had in a box somewhere, powered it up, and downloaded the tesla app on that device. Because the iPhone 6 doesnt support the latest tesla app, I got the old one. I dont jailbreak my phones but I do keep all the old ones around to use as (basically) ipod touches or to use apps to control my stereo system or something.

I give myself time on the rare occasions I dont like some update or other, to get used to it. I have given myself time on this, but still have the general opinion that the new app is "prettier" but actually makes it harder for me to see the information I used to look at all at once.

You are not alone (at all) in liking to see everything at once.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
the new app doesn't show all the data sometimes. I was missing blocks of time in the usage graph for day before. Now it shows. It also said I had a 5 minute blackout on Thursday, but now that event is missing.

Plus, on the graphs, it shows my weekday Peak period everyday rather than showing a different Peak on the weekend

Last edited:
You now need to tap and hold to bring up that tick mark. Once its up, you can slide left or right -- the "time line" will come up, with time shown, and the value changes based on what time you are pointing. Moves in 5 min increments...
Yes vertical line is there and you can slide it, I mentioned in in my post. But the tick mark on that line is not there anymore. It was easier to slide along the chart and see the exact moment something changed.

Just installed the Android version. I don't like the new version. The energy graph section is hard to read, and does not allow you to overlay all the curves.

Very confusing, I don't understand why Tesla did this. It adds no value over the replaced version. I am not upgrading my IOS version unless I have to.

The whole version 4.02-657, was a waste of time. Why doesn't Tesla add some new function like how your panels are producing, and if they are all working, more inverter information. This is what happens when programmers get cute without thinking about their users.

Someone spent some time with some nice animation, very cute, but useless.

Anyway, not a fan of the new app. Tesla can do better than this!

Just installed the Android version. I don't like the new version. The energy graph section is hard to read, and does not allow you to overlay all the curves.

Very confusing, I don't understand why Tesla did this. It adds no value over the replaced version. I am not upgrading my IOS version unless I have to.

The whole version 4.02-657, was a waste of time. Why doesn't Tesla add some new function like how your panels are producing, and if they are all working, more inverter information. This is what happens when programmers get cute without thinking about their users.

Someone spent some time with some nice animation, very cute, but useless.

Anyway, not a fan of the new app. Tesla can do better than this!
Be sure to leave a review so that the developers can learn what needs to be fixed.

My bet is none of the developers or product managers actually own Powerwalls so they don't actually ever use the app themselves. If they did, they'd know how impossible it is to export intra-day data, export data in bulk, see trends in production/consumption data, etc.

There really should be a web interface, similar to what SolarCity offered, as I don't know anyone who uses their cellphone to analyze historical data.

Reactions: BGbreeder
I don't have my system installed yet, but my hope is that I can use the API to collect all the data that the app shows and store it into a database that I control. Then I can analyze and display the data as I wish.
This is from what the Home Assistant is able to gather from the local API.
Home Assistant Energy Display.png