Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app version 4.0.0 has app re design for both car and energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The appstore details say there’s a disconnect to go off grid… but I don’t see it in the app UI. 😿
I was looking for this too. My inverter is having an unusual problem where it clips to 1.8kW when grid-connected, but stops clipping when e.g. the grid is down in a power outage. I was looking forward to testing this with "Go Off-Grid", to see if I can get full performance out of the inverter during peak hours, and put off having to replace it.

Edit: the Off Grid toggle seems to be only accessible through the Web interface: Connecting to Tesla Gateway | Tesla Support

Last edited:
Reactions: JayClark
I was looking for this too. My inverter is having an unusual problem where it clips to 1.8kW when grid-connected, but stops clipping when e.g. the grid is down in a power outage. I was looking forward to testing this with "Go Off-Grid", to see if I can get full performance out of the inverter during peak hours, and put off having to replace it.
This option is available in the local ui for your powerwall : gateway with the recent firmware so you can do it that way. You’ll need the local IP address and accept the self signed certificate when your browser prompts you

Reactions: Ben W
I installed the updated app on Android. Unbelievably, there's still no date picker. Want to use the app to go to a specific day to get intra-day data? You'll need to go day by day, perhaps hundreds of taps instead of just using a date picker (calendar) to instantly jump to the desired date.

Any other website/application that I've used for decades has had a date picker so that you can quickly jump to the desired date.

You might ask why I need to jump to a specific date. I've been logging various inverter issues which are easily visible on specific dates but can't be seen on weekly or monthly views. While Tesla can undoubtedly see the intra-day data, I can't see it until I go to a specific date. Yes, I know there are other ways of viewing the data, but the official app should have a date picker to allow the user to instantly jump to the desired date.

I really don't like the new graphs either. Before, I could look at one graph and see energy generation and consumption throughout the day. Now I have to toggle between 4 different graphs?

Looking at the "energy" subscreen right now at 9:15am PST, there is no data for my home usage since midnight on the graph, but there are usage numbers in the "from solar, from powerwall, from grid". How can I possibly trust those numbers when the graph above them is completely empty as far as home usage from midnight to now?

Solar generation similarly has nothing on the graph, but numbers below it. I never (ever) had a problem with graph data showing up previously.

I think it's a bug in the app not refreshing the data for that power graph. If you do the pull-down-to-refresh that's common on a lot of iOS apps, it reloads and seems to catch up. They should definitely improve this behavior but it's not a blocker.

The Solar screen is a huge waste of screen real estate. I mean yeah it has the same look and feel as the Powerwall screen, but if you take away all of the Powerwall stuff, there's just a whole lot of static graphics (plus one animation) that don't provide any information. On version 3 you at least got the intraday power production but now it's a tap away on another screen.

Non-Energy rant: Is there any point whatsoever in allowing the user to add a profile picture? This is a control and status app, not InstaFaceChatTubeTok.

Bruce.

EDIT: Overall I'm still in favor of the new app, just randomly ranting.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I installed the updated app on Android. Unbelievably, there's still no date picker. Want to use the app to go to a specific day to get intra-day data? You'll need to go day by day, perhaps hundreds of taps instead of just using a date picker (calendar) to instantly jump to the desired date.

Any other website/application that I've used for decades has had a date picker so that you can quickly jump to the desired date.

You might ask why I need to jump to a specific date. I've been logging various inverter issues which are easily visible on specific dates but can't be seen on weekly or monthly views. While Tesla can undoubtedly see the intra-day data, I can't see it until I go to a specific date. Yes, I know there are other ways of viewing the data, but the official app should have a date picker to allow the user to instantly jump to the desired date.

I really don't like the new graphs either. Before, I could look at one graph and see energy generation and consumption throughout the day. Now I have to toggle between 4 different graphs?
how did you find/load updated android app? I cannot find

Reactions: h2ofun
I'm already noticing a difference in how my Powerwalls behave...which is odd because the firmware hasn't updated from 21.20.6. It looks like installing the new app changed my Powerwall settings automatically.

With version 3.10.14 of the app and my Powerwalls set to Balanced mode, my Powerwalls would start discharging at 3 pm everyday, when Peak starts. I installed 4.0.0 on one device and noticed my Powerwalls started discharging at 1 pm today, when part-peak starts. I looked in the 3.10.14 app and it showed my settings had changed to Cost Savings instead of Balanced. I changed it back to Balanced but when I left the screen and came back, it had reverted to Cost Savings again. :rolleyes: I just tried it again and confirmed it keeps resetting to Cost Saving.

Interesting that once I updated the APP my PW immediately started charging form the grid at about 2kw for an hour until it was full, with solar going to the house and excess to the PW. It should not charge from the grid at all.

I would show you but the new APP does not allow you to select two devices to overlay their graphs (unless someone can tell me how to display that?)

ETA: Used the old APP on my iPad to show the PW charged from the grid. It did this exactly after I updated the APP

Attachments

• F06A0D11-EA12-401D-9C60-D9D5F59BFB75.jpeg
    F06A0D11-EA12-401D-9C60-D9D5F59BFB75.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Here's my take. The new UI is a shock, but the information presentation is better in several ways.

Pros:
  • Energy flow and Powerwall SOC% is shown on the main page
  • No long scrolling on the main page
  • Backup History shows the time of the outage and the year, if the date is prior year
  • No long scrolling to show all information on energy chart pages
  • New intraday Powerwall SOC% chart

Cons:
  • Backup History is moved from the main page to the bottom of the Impact page.
  • Backup Mode is gone, collapsed into Self Powered with 100% Reserve
  • Time Based Control has eliminated Balanced vs. Cost Saving
  • Backup History appears to be truncated to this year and last year instead of last 24 months
  • TOU breakdown is not shown on Energy charting page
Con:
  • No way to select the graphs of specific sources to do a graph overlay.
  • Cant slide your finger over the graph to get specific energy use at specific times

Last edited:
The data is there in the TOU section of the Impact screen, you just have to take the Peak kWh and multiply by the Grid percentage. They should put the kWh in parentheses next to the percentage. They should also put the TOU breakdowns on the Energy chart page.

View attachment 701674

yep… but then I have to do math! I don’t get charged by the percentage point. should show both or have a toggle or something.

Go Off-Grid is now showing on my Tesla app (initially it was not there. It shows under Settings).
I haven’t tried it yet, but it requires pairing Powerwall with phone first.
Documentation online says this feature could be useful to simulate power outages without disconnecting main panel.

I wonder if this requires a certain software revision or a certain model of Powerwall/Gatewa/whatever. I don't see it either.

Bruce.
Update: OK _now_ I see it. I didn't actually try this yet.

Also I see a new blurb in the app for the Tesla Virtual Power Plant. It claims to pay $1/kWh delivered from your Powerwalls during a "an event". This apparently requires version 4 of the app.

Bruce.

Interesting that once I updated the APP my PW immediately started charging form the grid at about 2kw for an hour until it was full, with solar going to the house and excess to the PW. It should not charge from the grid at all.
Unless the rate at which the PW was charging was greater than the power being generated by the solar, then it was not really charging from the grid. Because the grid, solar, PW and house are all wired together, it is not accurate to say which way the power is flowing. If solar is generating power and some power is being drawn from the grid, then that common point gets the sum of the two sources applied to it while the PW and the house draw from that common point. The amount drawn always equals the amount supplied.

Reactions: miimura
Unless the rate at which the PW was charging was greater than the power being generated by the solar, then it was not really charging from the grid. Because the grid, solar, PW and house are all wired together, it is not accurate to say which way the power is flowing. If solar is generating power and some power is being drawn from the grid, then that common point gets the sum of the two sources applied to it while the PW and the house draw from that common point. The amount drawn always equals the amount supplied.
It was charging from the grid. I watched it live on the Autarkieman APP and on this APP. Another way I know it charged from the grid is the power to the PW was greater than what my solar was producing at the time.

I actually like the new UI, more information in one screen but one might need to take a while to get used to it. Looks like the go off grid is like turning off the breaker but I would not do it while the sun is still shining and my PWs are 100%. Just a reminder if you consider doing it sometime in the future remotely, you need to pair your device with the PW (in my case iPhone and iPad) to make it happen.