Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app version 4.0.0 has app re design for both car and energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since I don't have the new layout yet (Android), I took a quick look over on the iOS download page... interestingly, Tesla decided to use Friday the 13th to capture screens:
1629961517213.png

So, makes sense why some might think of the change as horrific :p

• Funny
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Hi, Could someone send me the 3.10.14 ios ipa, so that I can downgrade from 4.0.0?

So far I have found the following issues:
- I can't switch on or off the steering wheel heating. It's gone.
- The characters are smaller -> harder to read.
- The charger section doesn't look for nearby chargers any longer.
- I think the rendering of the car is less nice than in V3. IMO.

I'd greatly appreciate if someone could help.

Tommy

Tesla app v4.0.0 has been released, and one of the changes is there is no backup only mode anymore. I had my PW on backup only and now in new app version it shows it as self powered with 100% reserve. So my guess is that the new Powerwall gateway version removed backup only mode and now this new SOC is based on self powered implementation at 100% reserve.
That would explain it, and seems to be consistent with Powerwall Modes | Tesla Support, which no longer lists backup only. Google doesn't show an app update available for me yet, but I assume that will happen shortly.

I do wonder why they decided to remove backup only. I get where it is very similar to self powered with 100% reserve, though the behavior of the system in how it maintains that level is very different.

People are probably discussing this elsewhere, but in the release notes for v4.0.0 of the app is this:

So... that's new.
I saw that go off grid in the release notes, but not in the updated app - have I missed a go off grid option somewhere? (I know it's available on the web UI of the PW/Gateway directly - but this RN implies it's now available in the app - I just can't find it)

Hi, Could someone send me the 3.10.14 ios ipa, so that I can downgrade from 4.0.0?

So far I have found the following issues:
- I can't switch on or off the steering wheel heating. It's gone.
- The characters are smaller -> harder to read.
- The charger section doesn't look for nearby chargers any longer.
- I think the rendering of the car is less nice than in V3. IMO.

I'd greatly appreciate if someone could help.

Tommy

Why not just bug report the issues?

Rendering is "less nice"? Much improved IMO, even charging is animated in green on the charge cord.

I don't have a heated wheel so can't confirm, agree about the missing Supercharger info.

Why not just bug report the issues?

Rendering is "less nice"? Much improved IMO, even charging is animated in green on the charge cord.

I don't have a heated wheel so can't confirm, agree about the missing Supercharger info.

I think the idea of this thread was to discuss the Tesla Energy-related changes of the new mobile app, but nearby Superchargers are now on the Location screen. Probably an improvement so you can actually see the position of the so-called "closest" Superchargers rather than just the distance to them.

Still waiting for the sun to hit my solar panels so I can see more of the new app behavior...

Bruce.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
The appstore details say there’s a disconnect to go off grid… but I don’t see it in the app UI. 😿

I wonder if this requires a certain software revision or a certain model of Powerwall/Gatewa/whatever. I don't see it either.

Bruce.

Reactions: h2ofun
I think the idea of this thread was to discuss the Tesla Energy-related changes of the new mobile app, but nearby Superchargers are now on the Location screen. Probably an improvement so you can actually see the position of the so-called "closest" Superchargers rather than just the distance to them.

Still waiting for the sun to hit my solar panels so I can see more of the new app behavior...

Bruce.

This was the intent of this thread here, for sure. Any discussion of the app as it relates to tesla vehicles should be posted to the thread in the general software forum. Any other posts on the vehicle features / lack of features, I will probably move to the existing thread in the software subforum. I thought that since we have people here who use the Energy portion, it would be helpful to have a thread here in this subforum to discuss it.

An argument could be made that this thread should be in the software subforum as well, but I thought there was some value in having a discussion thread for energy specific screens here in this subforum.

I wonder if this requires a certain software revision or a certain model of Powerwall/Gatewa/whatever. I don't see it either.

Bruce.
I dont see it either. I dont see the word" configure" they mention is necessary to set it up. If I had to guess, it may require something I dont have. I have a Gateway version 1, and I also have older inverters from ABB which are no longer being sold for some time (although they have run great with no issues since install in 2015).

I clicked through the info screens on teslas website about the feature, but did not see anything about requirements for access to that specific feature, but I could have missed it, for sure. I am still pretty frustrated about the direction they took the tesla energy data presentation, lol.

Last edited:

Bruce.
Interesting, I wonder if this is a Powerwall + option only.

I wish my system was up so I could have more first-hand experience.

On the default Powerwall screen on both app version 3 and version 4, they show a green LED strip on the Powerwall that graphically indicates the charge level. This is an excellent presentation of the information, except the green LEDs on the side of the real Powerwall 2 don't work that way! Then on app version 4 they moved the LEDs to the left side of the Powerwall graphic, where there isn't even a light strip on the real hardware.

I actually like that the animated power arrows no longer try to show that "power is going FROM solar TO batteries" (or whereever) and instead they just show the inflow/outflow direction on the solar/grid/battery/load. The old version 3 display tried to infer information to make a better picture, but it didn't always make sense and it seemed pretty susceptible to rounding errors.

Bruce.

On the default Powerwall screen on both app version 3 and version 4, they show a green LED strip on the Powerwall that graphically indicates the charge level. This is an excellent presentation of the information, except the green LEDs on the side of the real Powerwall 2 don't work that way! Then on app version 4 they moved the LEDs to the left side of the Powerwall graphic, where there isn't even a light strip on the real hardware.

I actually like that the animated power arrows no longer try to show that "power is going FROM solar TO batteries" (or whereever) and instead they just show the inflow/outflow direction on the solar/grid/battery/load. The old version 3 display tried to infer information to make a better picture, but it didn't always make sense and it seemed pretty susceptible to rounding errors.

Bruce.

Looking at the "energy" subscreen right now at 9:15am PST, there is no data for my home usage since midnight on the graph, but there are usage numbers in the "from solar, from powerwall, from grid". How can I possibly trust those numbers when the graph above them is completely empty as far as home usage from midnight to now?

Solar generation similarly has nothing on the graph, but numbers below it. I never (ever) had a problem with graph data showing up previously.

Sigh...

Bruce.

Can you please call Tesla support saying the green vertical SoC charge bar doesn't show up on your real physical powerwalls? And be like dead serious that you thought the LED strip on the real powerwall was a SoC meter. Please share the resulting recording of the call for the upvotes.

• Love
Reactions: buckets0fun
Maybe I’m missing it, but I can’t seem to find my grid usage, during peak/off peak, in units of kWh… only percentages…
The data is there in the TOU section of the Impact screen, you just have to take the Peak kWh and multiply by the Grid percentage. They should put the kWh in parentheses next to the percentage. They should also put the TOU breakdowns on the Energy chart page.

Impact Screenshot_IMG_1039.jpg

Here's my take. The new UI is a shock, but the information presentation is better in several ways.

Pros:
  • Energy flow and Powerwall SOC% is shown on the main page
  • No long scrolling on the main page
  • Backup History shows the time of the outage and the year, if the date is prior year
  • No long scrolling to show all information on energy chart pages
  • New intraday Powerwall SOC% chart

Cons:
  • Backup History is moved from the main page to the bottom of the Impact page.
  • Backup Mode is gone, collapsed into Self Powered with 100% Reserve
  • Time Based Control has eliminated Balanced vs. Cost Saving
  • Backup History appears to be truncated to this year and last year instead of last 24 months
  • TOU breakdown is not shown on Energy charting page