Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app version 4.0.0 has app re design for both car and energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
you have Shoulder on the Weekend?
We've had a fake shoulder period scheduled on weekends for the past 3 years because there is no scheduled self-powered option. Since we are on ToU, we want to be sure to be self-powered during peak. Regular self-powered wouldn't guarantee this so for the past three years we've used balanced mode. This has allowed us to be self powered for approximately 22+ hours a day and to very predictably power our house via solar during the day, via Powerwalls during peak and via Powerwalls during part-peak after peak overnight. We have a fake peak period set up on weekends as well. Our goal is to use the least amount of grid power as possible, not to save on costs.

I might try changing the hours of the fake part-peak period so that things work as they have in the past. For now, I just check on energy products from the v3 app or web interface and it allows me to stay on balanced mode.

I wish I read all comments before hitting "Update" button. My vision is not that great and dealing with miniature icons and fonts makes my blood pressure going up. Grey font on black background doesn't add readability either. Charts become smaller, but it has stupid store now. Oh, and someone's house is taking 50% real estate of the front page..

So app's usability went down for me.

OMG, I just discovered I cannot get marker moving across the chart showing exact data for the particular time. I was using this feature YESTERDAY to showing my kid spikes in energy consumption when AC goes on..

What a mess, Tesla.

EDIT. sliding vertical tick is there ("tap and hold" to make it appear ) but value marker is gone so tool is less precise now.

Last edited:
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
With the old version of the iOS app, each month I recorded the split data showing not only total home energy use, total solar production, total powerwall in/out, and total grid consumption, but also the app displayed the portion of these totals during peak and non-peak periods.

Having this information was incredibly useful because I could measure during peak fee periods (2x cost), what portion of energy consumption that my system was generating.

Now with the new iOS “update” I cannot find this information. I can only see the totals, not the split between peak and non-peak. If it is still obtainable, can you please guide me on how to find it?

It took me a long time to find prior months on the new app. On the old app there was a pull down tab that allowed the month to be selected. All I could do on the new app was to swipe the graph to the right to see prior months.
Refreshing to ask if anyone has found Peak vs. non-Peak usage data in the new iOS app?

I got this message on my version 3 APP. Now even using the old APP I can no longer change it back to Balanced.

Attachments

• CC64D72B-E0BE-4661-B1E6-5AF5DD23FCFE.png
    CC64D72B-E0BE-4661-B1E6-5AF5DD23FCFE.png
    387.4 KB · Views: 75
Hey I finally can join the party. It became available to me, but oddly not for my wife, even though we both have Pixel 3 XLs.

I'll focus on the energy features for now.

Most of the UI for the settings look better to me. I was expecting the worst after reading the thread.

I like the numbers and summary at the bottom of the graphs. Navigation to past dates is slightly better but still missing the ability to specify a specific date.

I don't recall anyone exploring "paired devices" for Powerwall. Looks like some kind of disconnect/off line access.

Lucky for me I've been running in self powered mode so the loss of balanced in time based doesn't affect me.

The virtual power plant settings has more options which look nice to me.

• Helpful
Reactions: bmah
OMG, I just discovered I cannot get marker moving across the chart showing exact data for the particular time. I was using this feature YESTERDAY to showing my kid spikes in energy consumption when AC goes on..

What a mess, Tesla.

EDIT. sliding vertical tick is there ("tap and hold" to make it appear ) but value marker is gone so tool is less precise now.
The value is still shown -- its just at the top of the graph and stays in the same place as you move the vertical line. Like a lot of the changes, there is a decrease in usability vs the old version...