Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app version 4.0.0 has app re design for both car and energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tend to agree with most of the comments and have similar frustrations.
One thing that really changed was how data is downloaded.

The previous app provided the following data;
Date timeHome Usage (kWh)Solar Energy (kWh)From Powerwall (kWh)From Grid (kWh)To Grid (kWh)

This is what the new app downloads;
Date timeHome (kWh)Solar Energy (kWh)Powerwall (kWh)Grid (kWh)
Best I can tell is that the new Powerwall (kWh) data is net usage, so difficult to determine amount of discharge per period.
Yes I can see that within the graphics, but it used to be part of the downloadable data, to allow observing efficiency. Which I have been doing for the past 20 months.

If I am missing something, do let me know, I am all ears right now.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I wonder if the "go off-grid" mode will be useful for those folks waiting for permission to operate (PTO). If I understood it correctly it basically doesn't allow power export but it will grab from the grid if the Powerwall runs out of juice. I wonder what happens if you try to start a load that exceeds the Powerwall rating (either for in-rush or sustained).

I tend to agree with most of the comments and have similar frustrations.
One thing that really changed was how data is downloaded.

The previous app provided the following data;
Date timeHome Usage (kWh)Solar Energy (kWh)From Powerwall (kWh)From Grid (kWh)To Grid (kWh)

This is what the new app downloads;
Date timeHome (kWh)Solar Energy (kWh)Powerwall (kWh)Grid (kWh)
Best I can tell is that the new Powerwall (kWh) data is net usage, so difficult to determine amount of discharge per period.
Yes I can see that within the graphics, but it used to be part of the downloadable data, to allow observing efficiency. Which I have been doing for the past 20 months.

If I am missing something, do let me know, I am all ears right now.
Hmm, interesting because the displays on the app suggests that the information is still there. That is, you can for any given day, see; in, out, and state of charge. The API that Home Assistant is using also appears to still be able to get the values (don't know if they're calculating it or reading it directly).

I wonder if the "go off-grid" mode will be useful for those folks waiting for permission to operate (PTO). If I understood it correctly it basically doesn't allow power export but it will grab from the grid if the Powerwall runs out of juice. I wonder what happens if you try to start a load that exceeds the Powerwall rating (either for in-rush or sustained).
Issue with Go Off Grid Function I describe what happened when I intentionally did just that. Not gonna make that mistake again.

Issue with Go Off Grid Function I describe what happened when I intentionally did just that. Not gonna make that mistake again.
The inability to do "off grid support" seamlessly is pretty consistent with the instructions that said manage your loads. A little disappointing but not surprising.

Thinking about it some more I'm guessing that when in "off grid" mode the system is not staying in sync with grid, it probably can't because it uses frequency shifting to signal solar inverters. So when it needs to bring the grid in it has to do a shutdown down, switch the relay and then sync w/ the grid.

Reactions: BGbreeder
The inability to do "off grid support" seamlessly is pretty consistent with the instructions that said manage your loads. A little disappointing but not surprising.

Thinking about it some more I'm guessing that when in "off grid" mode the system is not staying in sync with grid, it probably can't because it uses frequency shifting to signal solar inverters. So when it needs to bring the grid in it has to do a shutdown down, switch the relay and then sync w/ the grid.

I think you’re on the right track here, but I don’t think it normally shuts down at any point as it wants the switch to be seamless. Under normal conditions, when it’s ready to switch back to the grid it will sync it’s own frequency with the grid, then bring the grid back online.

However, this does take a short time to do (usually just a few seconds, but it could potentially be a little longer), so in the event of an overload condition it’s unlikely that it can switch back to the grid in time. In that case it’s likely that the system will shut down to protect everything from the overload. At that point it could potentially come back up on the grid.

I was using the "go off grid" option for a few days before we received PTO on Sept 1... Generally worked well, although one time we lost power for long enough to reset pretty much all devices in the house that react to a power loss (Alexa devices, computers, oven clock...). After that, I just made sure our draw was minimal (even though we have 4 Powerwalls, and its rare for the house to pull for than 20kW -- we'd basically have to be charging a car, running the dryer and have AC kick in...

Interestingly my wife (we're both on Pixel 3 XLs) still doesn't have the update available on the Google Play store.
Nor does my Samsung Galaxy S10, but then I decided to turn off the update for this anyway from all the reports here. Now both my phone and car are in update purgatory from Tesla's poor sw. Don't have any control over the PW and Gateway.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Anyone fully explored these graphs? They come come toggling the little bar graph thing just about the powerwall icon.

You can see the side effect of me accidentally putting it in the time based mode instead of the self consumption that I had been running.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210907-134458.png
    Screenshot_20210907-134458.png
    214.5 KB · Views: 62
  • Screenshot_20210908-104356.png
    Screenshot_20210908-104356.png
    205.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20210908-104421.png
    Screenshot_20210908-104421.png
    222.8 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: bemyax
Any fully explored these graphs? They come come toggling the little bar graph thing just about the powerwall icon.

You can see the side effect of me accidentally putting it in the time based mode instead of the self consumption that I had been running.
The new graphs definitely provide some new information but they no longer allow me to see trends that were easy to see with the old graphs. After the first week on v4 on my tablet (loaded APK manually), I haven't bothered returning, at least not for monitoring energy products.

We still don't see the update available on any of our five Android devices...but we aren't really in a hurry to install it anyways.

Reactions: aesculus
Any fully explored these graphs? They come come toggling the little bar graph thing just about the powerwall icon.

I don't get the total energy Gaussian chart. Seems confusing and irrelevant. Maybe my brain is just not tuned for it.

I can't find a way to get the kWh sent back to the grid in peak hours. It used to be on the graph. I see that under "Impact" there is some data but it just generically says "Partial Peak" or "Off Peak" with a number, I have no idea what that number is. Usage I assume? So what about the amount fed BACK to the grid?

Literally the most important feature for me as we tune our electronics to not be used as much during peak hours and that's how I check that we're taking advantage of TOU to pay for these solar panels.

Ugh.

Also, the inability to overlay whatever graphs we want totally stinks.

Hope these two things change as the rest of the update is pretty cool looking but those were literally the two most important features I used lol and now they're gone.

Anyone fully explored these graphs? They come come toggling the little bar graph thing just about the powerwall icon.

You use a lot of energy. With a pool and AC we will top out at 30 kWh in a day. In the winter our house may only use about 15 kWh in a day