Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app version 4.0.0 has app re design for both car and energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks, I will investigate Home Assistant.
There are other folks that done local API querying. I think @bmah dumps data into a local database and displays with Grafana. Home Assistant just happens to be the one I'm currently using. There is a thread somewhere that discusses the API and I think even a website. I don't have them handy at the moment but knowing they exist is usually half the battle.

Why does "Net consumed from the grid" show the needle in the red when it is only 0.1kWh?
That's a good question. I don't know yet. The Energy Displays in Home Assistant are pretty new. The description says it is "your energy dependency". Here it is for today which has it solidly in the green. Based on the few data points I currently I see that
1631687571584.png
it will go the the red region as soon as you have any net grid consumption at all.

1631687571584.png

Just noticed that you can pair your smart phone with your power walls. What does this do? What function does it add? Why is this new step needed?

Comments????
It allows you to go off grid via the app instead of needing to go out to the panel and flip a breaker. By pairing your phone, it limits the device(s) that can do this function from the app.

You don't need to pair your phone unless you plan on using or testing the "go off grid" function.

How do I use APKMirror to install V3, V4 is really bad! Thanks
1. Download APKMirror Installer from Google Play store: APKMirror Installer (Official) - Apps on Google Play
2. Download the last version 3 of the Tesla app from APK Mirror here: Tesla 3.10.14-474 APK Download by Tesla, Inc. - APKMirror
3. Uninstall v4 of the Tesla app.
4. Run the APKMirror Installer and select to install the APK you downloaded in step 2. You'll see an ad but shouldn't have to enter any information or create any account.
5. Launch the Tesla app, log in and confirm it's working.
6. Go to Google Play app and search for Tesla. Tap the menu button at the top right and then uncheck the Enable auto update. This will prevent v4 from being reinstalled automatically.

1. Download APKMirror Installer from Google Play store: APKMirror Installer (Official) - Apps on Google Play
2. Download the last version 3 of the Tesla app from APK Mirror here: Tesla 3.10.14-474 APK Download by Tesla, Inc. - APKMirror
3. Uninstall v4 of the Tesla app.
4. Run the APKMirror Installer and select to install the APK you downloaded in step 2. You'll see an ad but shouldn't have to enter any information or create any account.
5. Launch the Tesla app, log in and confirm it's working.
6. Go to Google Play app and search for Tesla. Tap the menu button at the top right and then uncheck the Enable auto update. This will prevent v4 from being reinstalled automatically.
Thank you, got the old app back. Hopefully Tesla will make the new one more useful.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Agree with all regarding the over lay not being available any longer which is very disappointing, bit like taking your best favourite tool out of your tool box and throwing it away. Change is a good thing but not at the expense of something that worked very well, you know the old story if it ain’t broke don’t fix it.
Let’s hope we get it back in the next upgrade.

For anyone looking for an alternative Powerwall monitoring app (including overlaid graphs), you may want to check out my app Powerwall Companion for Android or Windows. Note this app was never intended to replace the official Tesla app, and the layout is optimised for "always on" use on a spare phone. Still, given the number of people who don't like the Tesla app redesign I thought it was worth a mention.

7Tab1.png

7Tab4.png

For anyone looking for an alternative Powerwall monitoring app (including overlaid graphs), you may want to check out my app Powerwall Companion for Android or Windows. Note this app was never intended to replace the official Tesla app, and the layout is optimised for "always on" use on a spare phone. Still, given the number of people who don't like the Tesla app redesign I thought it was worth a mention.

View attachment 711733

View attachment 711734

Have to say that I've been using this for months (since the install back at the end of May) and it's definitely a handy utility to keep running...

I discovered a small (but significant to me anyway) improvement to the UX in iOS app version 4:

If you own both Tesla energy and vehicle products, and you last had an energy product selected in the app, and you try to share an address with the Tesla app (to send to your car):

v3 would annoyingly make you "select a Tesla vehicle in the app" even if you only had one car. I mean it's not like it means anything to share an address with your Powerwalls, right?

v4 is smart enough to realize that you shouldn't have to select your one and only car in the Tesla app to share an address, so even if your Powerwalls or solar was the last selected product, it does the intuitive thing and sends the address to the car.

I'm not sure what happens if you're fortunate enough to have multiple cars plus energy products.

Bruce.

I discovered a small (but significant to me anyway) improvement to the UX in iOS app version 4

Another one along those same lines, if you are using the Tesla widget on your Home Screen or in the widget center (or whatever that is called) to see your car’s status, it now shows the car status whether you have the car selected in the Tesla app or the energy device selected. Before, leaving the Tesla app on the energy device would break the widget.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
I’m sure someone has spotted this but the graphs don’t contain all the data. My iPhone seems to randomly cut off each days collection but the same view on my iPad shows the full day (usually)

iphone
5BE427A0-2F9E-4E59-B158-E03AE1F3C64D.jpeg

Ipad
69E11953-979B-42C7-8EA1-A744F4ECA193.png

I’m sure someone has spotted this but the graphs don’t contain all the data. My iPhone seems to randomly cut off each days collection but the same view on my iPad shows the full day (usually)

iphone
View attachment 715297

Ipad
View attachment 715298
The graphs are cached. If you drag down from the top of the screen, it will load a new and updated graph.

@Gdotp Yes, according to tech support it is a known glitch (bug) with the app. Refreshing doesn't always clear, and sometimes the data appears a day or two later, but not always.

Tesla tech support is aware of the issue, and were already aware of it when spoke to them yesterday about it.

All the best,

BG