Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app version 4.0.0 has app re design for both car and energy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed the Tesla iOS app 4.1.0 and it now has a nasty habit of crashing on launch. It happens about 50% of the time. For example, I launch the app, it loads the cached image that was last on the screen, then it crashes and goes back to the home screen. Starting the app again will start with the Tesla logo and then render the screen.

This is with iOS 14.8 on a iPhone 11 Pro.

I installed the Tesla iOS app 4.1.0 and it now has a nasty habit of crashing on launch. It happens about 50% of the time. For example, I launch the app, it loads the cached image that was last on the screen, then it crashes and goes back to the home screen. Starting the app again will start with the Tesla logo and then render the screen.

Same issue here, probably some issue with the latest update. First 4.1.0 version I got did not crash.

Android Version 21.20.6 as of September 28. Had an odd occurrence this past week on the "Solar Offset" graph. On September 24 & 25, Tesla app showed solar generation of 0.1 kWh on 24th and 0.0 kWh on 25th. The correct numbers were 39.2 kWh & 67.4 kWh respectively.

The only thing I like about the new app is it gives precise times for Backup History, otherwise, I prefer the previous app version.

Latest version seems to fix this now.

I am missing the birds eye view for all actives in one single graph. Would would tell me everything. I think they can still add to this probably below the 1st screen. It gives a quick health check of your usage, solar production, sending to & from PW and Grid. I don't like single graph for each type, it doesn't mean much since I they don't overlap.

I am glad I only updated the phone not on the iPad. iPad is still running the previous version. I've learned from Apple, never update everything all at once, second, wait for update only if necessary, not because they said, fixed some bugs. There will always be bugs, but with bug fixes, comes some hidden changes that can disrupt some workflows.

Going through some other posts, I figured it is what it is. I am now concentrating only on data points for previous day(s), because I can see the trend in my spreadsheet, and also, as I plug even the most current data, I can see what my real-time charges are. With my previous Tiered system, it was down to +/- 1 cent, now it can vary because I am not taking into account charges based on select times and weekends. Since I hardly pull anything during peak, I am doing averaging on Off-Peak rates. This bring my calculations down to somewhere mid 90's percentage accuracy without multiplayer tweaking.
Here is what it looks like for September bill
1633300313884.png

This is for current in-progress October bill
1633300371224.png

Instant check on daily usage for current in-progress October bill, 10 out of 16 days this month in Orange County, I've been self-sufficient due to Solar + PowerWalls:
1633300423019.png

Tesla app v4.0.0 has been released, and one of the changes is there is no backup only mode anymore. I had my PW on backup only and now in new app version it shows it as self powered with 100% reserve. So my guess is that the new Powerwall gateway version removed backup only mode and now this new SOC is based on self powered implementation at 100% reserve.
The new app is terrible. Much preferred the old one.

Fruitcake

I have not found anything I like better with the 4.x update. I have found what seem a couple problems.

Energy page for Day - it gets tired and stops logging info. Has quit as early as 0950 but most often at 1555. Do a Download My Data and just Zeros for all parameters after that. Home is never Zero so think there is a problem.

Minor but not desired - if you go to Energy and swipe back for history it will show that page next time you select Energy even if you go back to opening page or close app and come back later. Old app did not make you swipe back to Today after taking a look at history. Maybe a "Today" button could work.

Any way I can upgrade to the OLD version?

Anyone persistently getting a "Check Internet Connection" message shortly after opening the app? When I first open it it will show the Home Energy Gateway section and show the power flow, but within seconds it all goes gray and then delivers that message. No amount of reboots of the phone or toggling Airplane mode seems to rectify the behavior. And yes, I very much have a strong and active internet connection.

Anyone persistently getting a "Check Internet Connection" message shortly after opening the app? When I first open it it will show the Home Energy Gateway section and show the power flow, but within seconds it all goes gray and then delivers that message. No amount of reboots of the phone or toggling Airplane mode seems to rectify the behavior. And yes, I very much have a strong and active internet connection.
I have gotten this at various times and through route lookups determined that is wasn’t the app having an internet connection issue but that the servers it expected to contact on the other end were not accepting the connections.

Whomever coded the app assumes that Tesla’s servers would always be available so when they aren’t it gives an erroneous error message that it is having internet connection issues as if there was that type of issue, but as you and I have seen that is not the case.

Just noticed another thing, vehicle charging when off-grid now lets you slide to 100% for home and nothing for vehicle, used to be 95% max for home. I like that, no intention to charge my car during outage when I have 2 supercharger locations within 5 minutes from home.
new user here and see this setting but it does not save my changes to save 100% for home use but always returns to 85% after leaving the settings screen. 25.35.1