Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App: why are settings hidden in new installations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Powerwalls have been installed for 5 days now. On day one the only setting option showing was “self powered”. 2 days later, time based control showed up. Today storm watch is showing. Still no off grid or limit for charging a car.

Why are these options slowly showing up over time and is this documented somewhere? I sure haven’t found it.

thanks.

I noticed the same thing happen with my install. I am guessing there it is part of some automated process that configures your powerall after its been online for a while. The off grid button in the app took a while to show up for me, but worked via the web UI on the TEG.

I've seen written in other threads here that time-based control does not show up until the system has been operating for some number of days to establish what the solar output and power usage patterns are. Other threads talk about how this is useless in the UK where the solar output pattern shows extreme variation from day to day.

Reactions: xWren
For me the time based control options showed up after a few days, apparently it takes a while for the model to learn your energy needs etc.

However now the settings have disappeared again, I am wondering if this is because I signed up for the Tesla Energy Plan in my area (Sydney). Has anyone heard anything about this?

Wondering if by signing up to the TEP that they take complete control of your powerwall.. if this turns out to be the case I'll be cancelling the plan.

Wondering if by signing up to the TEP that they take complete control of your powerwall.. if this turns out to be the case I'll be cancelling the plan.
Sees to me that they pretty much have to, because they have to fit you in to their time of use tariff.

I'm rather skeptical of how much TEP is worth. The time of use tariff for off-peak is expensive compared with other offerings. Peak time is cheap, but with a Powerwall, unless you're profligate in your use of energy, you won't be paying for peak energy anyway.

The feed-in tariff is generous compared with other retailers, though it's only after 2pm. They'd get exports earlier in the day for free. That said, in normal operation the surplus Solar would be used to charge the Powerwall first, though I certainly do see some exports before 2pm in my system on sunny days.

My Powerwalls have been installed for 5 days now. On day one the only setting option showing was “self powered”. 2 days later, time based control showed up. Today storm watch is showing. Still no off grid or limit for charging a car.

Why are these options slowly showing up over time and is this documented somewhere? I sure haven’t found it.

thanks.

I dont know if its documented anywhere. I remember reading somewhere that "features activate over time" but dont know where I read that. With that being said, this is perfectly normal, and the experience most go through.

It was never a big deal before, because you didnt have PTO to actually run the system right after install anyway, and those features always show up prior to any actual permission to operate being granted. If you are operating in no export mode or something, that may not apply any longer, but otherwise, thats the case.