Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App without Powerwall

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My electric company just turned on my Tesla PV system yesterday, and the actual Tesla app seems to be working, immediately, despite having no Powerwall (screenshot below).

Both my sales adviser and the person I talked to on the activation hotline seemed surprised that the Tesla app is working for me.

A couple questions: Does the Tesla app work for anybody else, yet, who only have Solar and no Powerwall? If so, do the "Impact" and "Energy Usage" tabs work for you? Mine both say "no data" or similar, which is why I called the activation hotline.

Thanks, all!

TeslaApp.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: Shygar
Okay, so, shouldn’t it work? I would assume the gateway would show you the power going to the house and the rest to the grid, as you have above. Have people said it doesn’t work ever without PWs?

Well, at least according to my salesman and the person I talked to on the activation hotline, both were surprised that the Tesla app worked for me at all. My salesman said this is the first time he's seen the Tesla app work for solar only. He asked me to send a screenshot to prove it haha.

Apparently, up until this point, Solar customers used the MySolarCity app/website. The activation hotline indicated that Tesla is working on merging the two but was surprised it worked for me already.

Again, just relaying what I'm hearing and was wondering if anybody else without PW has seen the Tesla app working. Also, once the system is officially "activated", does the usage info/graph show up in the Telsa app, or will I need to still look at the MySolarCity stuff? It may be in sortof a transitional state where both sorta work. Or maybe it's like the powerwall owners who have seen software updates happen in a staggered rather than all-at-once manner.

They must have installed a Neurio in your system as the standard SolarCity install doesn't measure the home usage but it's there in your graph.

In our rental house we have SolarCity without a powerwall and I manually installed a Neurio so I could get this info.

They must have installed a Neurio in your system as the standard SolarCity install doesn't measure the home usage but it's there in your graph.

In our rental house we have SolarCity without a powerwall and I manually installed a Neurio so I could get this info.

Yeah, they definitely installed the Neurio PB1.5SC. The SolarCity Powerguide site shows usage, though, right?

Mine shows grid/home with the solar not "connected" yet. Our system has been installed but not activated by the power company yet. We have a powerwall on order but it's gonna take a while.

Interesting... mine doesn't work, yet, so I can't look, but I assumed it would be like what's shown in this article:

SolarCity Introduces Unique Solar Customer App −

That shows the MySolarCity app giving and even breaking down your home's usage. Does it not do any of that? Or maybe some installs have it and some don't?
This is what mine looks like. Maybe because I have a powerwall? I can check my wife's app tonight but there's really no hardware installed to even measure it, just the box connected to ethernet that communicates with the inverter.

Screenshot_20180628-135256_MySolarCity.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: 3laine
Shows current home usage, nothing historical at this point.

Thanks. I assume you have the Neurio Powerblaster in your panel, too, then?

Presumably, the Neurio gives a current usage number that can be seen on the app, but someone (Tesla) would have to be capturing that info in order to have historical info. Hopefully, once the system is officially "activated" by Tesla (it's been providing power since Monday), I'll have historical info.

How do you k ow if you have Meurio installed or not? We just got our system installed yesterday so it has not been inspected or turned on but the guys said we would be able to see all our usage and production details... when I try to login to the Tesla app it doesn’t recognize my logins but they work on the SolarCity app...

How do you k ow if you have Meurio installed or not? We just got our system installed yesterday so it has not been inspected or turned on but the guys said we would be able to see all our usage and production details... when I try to login to the Tesla app it doesn’t recognize my logins but they work on the SolarCity app...

If you have the Neurio, they give you a little box (4"x4", 1" tall, black) that you have to plug into your router and an outlet. Also, in my electrical panel, one of the breakers has a red label that says "Powerblaster" on it, now.

Thanks. I assume you have the Neurio Powerblaster in your panel, too, then?

Presumably, the Neurio gives a current usage number that can be seen on the app, but someone (Tesla) would have to be capturing that info in order to have historical info. Hopefully, once the system is officially "activated" by Tesla (it's been providing power since Monday), I'll have historical info.
yes, they did indicate that I had a Powerblaster installed.

Reactions: 3laine
Did you get your solar city/ tesla app to show consumption data at your rental after you installed the off the shelf neurio? If so, was there anything special you had to do in order to pair the neurio to the solar gateway?
I haven't even attempted to do that actually. But that is a good question. I wonder if Tesla can hook into it. I just use the Neurio app and pvoutput.org (see signature).