Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App won’t connect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teams.

my Tesla app doesn’t work. It only shows connecting , but cannot connect. I have reboot my phone, uninstalled it an install again; cannot fix it. After I restart Tesla (hold two scroll), then can connect. But after few hours, lost connection again. Any advise?

I started having a problem with the app not connecting this past summer. For me, it’s only when I’m on cell; always ok on WiFi.At first I thought it was because my wireless service is slow (Cricket, capped at 8 Mbps), but the problem is instantly solved if I use a VPN. I have 2 cars and solar, and when it won’t connect, it won’t connect to any of them. So my problem is not an issue with the specific car.

Teams.

my Tesla app doesn’t work. It only shows connecting , but cannot connect. I have reboot my phone, uninstalled it an install again; cannot fix it. After I restart Tesla (hold two scroll), then can connect. But after few hours, lost connection again. Any advise?
Try rebooting your phone.

We started having this problem with our 2017 S (MCU1/HW3) when the 20.44 update was installed.

Our 2018 X (MCU2/HW3) hasn't had any problems before or after 20.44 was installed - it's still accessible from the app.

What's interesting is that if I do a POWER OFF of our S, followed by a MCU restart (pressing the steering wheel thumb wheels), the app will connect for a while, before it goes offline and becomes unavailable to the app.

It could be that when the vehicle goes into sleep mode, the network connection is being dropped (even though "stay connected" has been set) and after that, the software makes no attempt to connect with the app.

I called Tesla customer support last week. While the Tesla app couldn't connect to the vehicle, the vehicle was online - Tesla was able to connect on their end and verify the vehicle was operational. I was told their technical support team would investigate and call me back. That was last week - and they haven't called back since.

Our S is scheduled next week to upgrade to the MCU2 (with a new FM/HD/XM radio tuner). When they do that, they'll have to do a new software update. Between the hardware change and the new software, I'm hoping this issue will go away.

I started having a problem with the app not connecting this past summer. For me, it’s only when I’m on cell; always ok on WiFi.At first I thought it was because my wireless service is slow (Cricket, capped at 8 Mbps), but the problem is instantly solved if I use a VPN. I have 2 cars and solar, and when it won’t connect, it won’t connect to any of them. So my problem is not an issue with the specific car.
Tried WiFi and without WiFi. Both doesn’t work.

We started having this problem with our 2017 S (MCU1/HW3) when the 20.44 update was installed.

Our 2018 X (MCU2/HW3) hasn't had any problems before or after 20.44 was installed - it's still accessible from the app.

What's interesting is that if I do a POWER OFF of our S, followed by a MCU restart (pressing the steering wheel thumb wheels), the app will connect for a while, before it goes offline and becomes unavailable to the app.

It could be that when the vehicle goes into sleep mode, the network connection is being dropped (even though "stay connected" has been set) and after that, the software makes no attempt to connect with the app.

I called Tesla customer support last week. While the Tesla app couldn't connect to the vehicle, the vehicle was online - Tesla was able to connect on their end and verify the vehicle was operational. I was told their technical support team would investigate and call me back. That was last week - and they haven't called back since.

Our S is scheduled next week to upgrade to the MCU2 (with a new FM/HD/XM radio tuner). When they do that, they'll have to do a new software update. Between the hardware change and the new software, I'm hoping this issue will go away.
Thank you. After I restart MCU, it only connect few hours; then cannot connect again. Not sure how to fix.

Ran a test yesterday.

Thought the issue could be refusal to connect over WiFi.

During a 20 minute drive, I restarted the MCU1's console processor.

Once the restart process began, while the T logo was being displayed, I regained access in the app to the vehicle - while it was moving. And that continued until shortly after the restart had been completed and the satellite map was displayed on the console. And after that, I've lost connection with the app again.

This appears to be a software problem - likely something happened during the 2020.44 update.

During that update, I received notifications on my smartphone that the update was available and that the update had started - but never received a notification that the update was finished (likely due to the loss of app communication).

When I checked with Tesla customer support, they were showing the update was not yet completed. We tried a restart - and I've since done multiple power off/restart sequences - and still have the same issue.

Since our MCU1 will be replaced by MCU2 with radio on Tuesday - probably not worth pursuing this issue any further for our S, because we'll have a new processor, and the service center will likely perform a new software update.

Though I will put this on their list to verify during the visit.

My Tesla model Y will not connect to my app. I have turned off the phone and reinstalled the app. No luck. Not sure how to request support since it says you have to request through the app that I can’t get. What do I do?