Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app won’t connect to car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. For the last couple of weeks my app will not connect to my Model 3 if it’s asleep. If it’s awake it will connect just fine but will not connect when it’s asleep. It’s almost like it won’t wake the car. I’ve left the app open for over 10 minutes and still just sits there with the spinning circle and says “car last seen X number of hours ago”

I’ve tried rebooting my car and logging out of and back into the app. This is on iOS with latest version of Tesla app. Also does the same thing on my wife’s phone so it’s not just my phone.

Hey everyone. For the last couple of weeks my app will not connect to my Model 3 if it’s asleep. If it’s awake it will connect just fine but will not connect when it’s asleep. It’s almost like it won’t wake the car. I’ve left the app open for over 10 minutes and still just sits there with the spinning circle and says “car last seen X number of hours ago”

I’ve tried rebooting my car and logging out of and back into the app. This is on iOS with latest version of Tesla app. Also does the same thing on my wife’s phone so it’s not just my phone.

Sometimes mine would take a long time to connect. Sometimes I would give up and would retry again in a few hours. However, it's not that often.

If yours worsens, it could be the car's computer (MCU).

Probably not your issue, but I had this problem on my Pixel phone. Android will occasionally suggest closing apps that it thinks don't need to be running. I believe this shut down the background service that the Tesla app is running. Reinstalling the app fixed it for me. No idea if something similar is going on with ios.

Have you recently installed any updates on your phone or started using a VPN client? Also, if your phone isn’t connected to WiFi when you try to access the car, make sure the Tesla app still has access to cellular data.
Nope. No updates on my phone and not using a VPN. Also the app does have access to cellular data. Literally no changes to my setup. Just stopped working.

I only have this issue when my Model Y is parked at my house, and only if the car is asleep. If the car is charging then my phone app connects fine to the car, but if the car is asleep the app doesn't wake it up.

If my MY is parked anywhere other than my home the app connects near instantly and will even wake the car up after a few seconds no matter how far away I am from it.

Can't figure out why. Seems like my phone can't

I only have this issue when my Model Y is parked at my house, and only if the car is asleep. If the car is charging then my phone app connects fine to the car, but if the car is asleep the app doesn't wake it up.

If my MY is parked anywhere other than my home the app connects near instantly and will even wake the car up after a few seconds no matter how far away I am from it.

Can't figure out why. Seems like my phone can't
The reason you can connect to it everywhere other than your home is likely because you probably have Sentry Mode enabled, but configured not to be used when the car is at your home. Sentry Mode would keep the car from going to deep sleep.
I have the exact same problem with the app not connecting to my MY. It won't connect to it when the car is at home or at work (because Sentry Mode is not enabled for both of those locations) unless the car is not asleep. This issue started for me about 3 weeks ago. I've tried logging out of the app, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, updating the app, rebooting the car (holding both buttons while pressing the brake pedal). Nothing fixes this. My girlfriend has the exact same problem with the app on her phone also not able to connect to the car when it is asleep.
This morning I finally got fed up with it and created a service request with Tesla through the app. I haven't heard back from them yet, but my appointment is scheduled for Tuesday the 25th.
I read in another thread that someone else having similar issues had a part swapped out on their car by Tesla mobile service and that resolved it. The poster referred to the part as a "connectivity card".
For what it's worth, my car is a 2021 MYLR running 2022.20.18 (FSD 10.69.2.3).

I started seeing a similar thing about the same time you did. I set up a service appointment and the rep said this was a firmware issue that they are actively investigating. When the fix is ready, it'll be pushed out via an over-the-air update.

I am on Android, and never had any connection issue until I updated the app couple weeks ago. After updating the app, I always had problems connecting to the car either on WiFi or mobile Internet despise reset the car, reinstalled the app. One day it even stopped working on WiFi, it told me "Check Internet Connection". However, everything else works fine on Wifi. I am pretty sure it is the new app version that is causing this.
What I did was reinstalled version 4.12.1-1271 from September that I found on APK mirror site (I know installing app out side of Play Store is dangerous, but I have no choice). I believe this is also the oldest version Tesla allows now.
Since using 4.12.1 version, I don't have issue anymore.

I am on Android, and never had any connection issue until I updated the app couple weeks ago. After updating the app, I always had problems connecting to the car either on WiFi or mobile Internet despise reset the car, reinstalled the app. One day it even stopped working on WiFi, it told me "Check Internet Connection". However, everything else works fine on Wifi. I am pretty sure it is the new app version that is causing this.
What I did was reinstalled version 4.12.1-1271 from September that I found on APK mirror site (I know installing app out side of Play Store is dangerous, but I have no choice). I believe this is also the oldest version Tesla allows now.
Since using 4.12.1 version, I don't have issue anymore.

That's interesting. I've often thought the app on my Android phone was the issue, not the car itself.

For having a Model Y for a month, I have this "app spinning" first time, un-install and re-install app does not help. Called tesla service and the car was offline and told to re-start, everything works fine. The car just like a super computer needs to restart once in a while.

For having a Model Y for a month, I have this "app spinning" first time, un-install and re-install app does not help. Called tesla service and the car was offline and told to re-start, everything works fine. The car just like a super computer needs to restart once in a while.
I wasn't aware that supercomputers had a periodic restart requirement. My android app disconnects every couple of days. I just toggle bluetooth off and on and it reconnects. Seemed to start happening after a recent android update, though possibly after a Tesla app update. Hard to say for sure.