Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app won’t connect to car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason you can connect to it everywhere other than your home is likely because you probably have Sentry Mode enabled, but configured not to be used when the car is at your home. Sentry Mode would keep the car from going to deep sleep.
I have the exact same problem with the app not connecting to my MY. It won't connect to it when the car is at home or at work (because Sentry Mode is not enabled for both of those locations) unless the car is not asleep. This issue started for me about 3 weeks ago. I've tried logging out of the app, uninstalling and reinstalling the app, updating the app, rebooting the car (holding both buttons while pressing the brake pedal). Nothing fixes this. My girlfriend has the exact same problem with the app on her phone also not able to connect to the car when it is asleep.
This morning I finally got fed up with it and created a service request with Tesla through the app. I haven't heard back from them yet, but my appointment is scheduled for Tuesday the 25th.
I read in another thread that someone else having similar issues had a part swapped out on their car by Tesla mobile service and that resolved it. The poster referred to the part as a "connectivity card".
For what it's worth, my car is a 2021 MYLR running 2022.20.18 (FSD 10.69.2.3).
After trading about 20 messages over several days through the app with my local SC and setting up an appointment for them to work on my car, they ended up cancelling the appointment and told me that while replacing the connectivity card might fix the issue, they believe it can also be fixed with a software update, since that is what likely caused it to break in the first place.
They said:
"...this concern is currently under review by our Service Engineering team and at this time an onsite visit is not necessary...
Generally with firmware related concerns, there is a process to identify them as rooted in firmware and that usually comes at the expense of testing, that may include hardware replacement. As our Service Engineering team continues with root cause analysis they will be providing guidance to stop replacing hardware and collect as much information as possible. At this point this concern is still under investigation and we hope to have a fix relatively soon...
We have forwarded our findings to the Service Engineering team and the fix for this concern will be an OTA update."

After trading about 20 messages over several days through the app with my local SC and setting up an appointment for them to work on my car, they ended up cancelling the appointment and told me that while replacing the connectivity card might fix the issue, they believe it can also be fixed with a software update, since that is what likely caused it to break in the first place.
They said:
"...this concern is currently under review by our Service Engineering team and at this time an onsite visit is not necessary...
Generally with firmware related concerns, there is a process to identify them as rooted in firmware and that usually comes at the expense of testing, that may include hardware replacement. As our Service Engineering team continues with root cause analysis they will be providing guidance to stop replacing hardware and collect as much information as possible. At this point this concern is still under investigation and we hope to have a fix relatively soon...
We have forwarded our findings to the Service Engineering team and the fix for this concern will be an OTA update."
Wow, my X is suffering as well with no connectivity to the APP and lots of features like voice command and Tune in are not working. My car has been at the SC for the past 10 days and the only info I get is that the issue has been "escalated". Your information seems to suggest that it is a much larger issue than just my car. Prior to taking my car to the SC, I called Tesla customer service. The agent confirmed that she could not connect to my car through the Tesla server. I intend to stop at the SC in the next couple of days in hopes of getting a better explanation of the issue. I will post of they have any new info.

They said:
For those who still have this problem, try updating the app on your phone today.

The Tesla app on my iPhone is actually connecting to the car today! I did update the Tesla app this morning on my phone. I'm still running the same firmware on the car as I was when I was having the problem, so maybe the update to the phone app fixed it? I also have the Stats app on my phone and for as long as the Tesla app was having problems connecting to the car, so was the Stats app (which is now also working today). I had assumed that the problem was with the software on the car and not the phone since neither app could connect to the car, but it looks like Tesla was able to resolve the issue without having to update the software directly on the car.

For those who still have this problem, try updating the app on your phone today.

The Tesla app on my iPhone is actually connecting to the car today! I did update the Tesla app this morning on my phone. I'm still running the same firmware on the car as I was when I was having the problem, so maybe the update to the phone app fixed it? I also have the Stats app on my phone and for as long as the Tesla app was having problems connecting to the car, so was the Stats app (which is now also working today). I had assumed that the problem was with the software on the car and not the phone since neither app could connect to the car, but it looks like Tesla was able to resolve the issue without having to update the software directly on the car.

I'm not seeing an update on Android yet, but I hope it comes soon if it fixes this issue.

I just started having this issue yesterday. I’ve experienced it on both LTE and Wi-Fi. I can access the car and drive without any issues, thankfully. My wife’s phone can’t connect either. We’re both on iOS. I have the latest app update.

Edit
Seems my issue is the same as OP; can’t wake up the car with the app when the car is asleep. Instead, I woke up the car by getting inside and the app connects easily.

Last edited:
I just started having this issue yesterday. I’ve experienced it on both LTE and Wi-Fi. I can access the car and drive without any issues, thankfully. My wife’s phone can’t connect either. We’re both on iOS. I have the latest app update.

Edit
Seems my issue is the same as OP; can’t wake up the car with the app when the car is asleep. Instead, I woke up the car by getting inside and the app connects easily.
Customer service told to reset the car / monitor by holding the two knobs on steering wheel, once it is reset, everything works!

Reactions: HTTP401 and K-Fresh
Hey everyone. For the last couple of weeks my app will not connect to my Model 3 if it’s asleep. If it’s awake it will connect just fine but will not connect when it’s asleep. It’s almost like it won’t wake the car. I’ve left the app open for over 10 minutes and still just sits there with the spinning circle and says “car last seen X number of hours ago”

I’ve tried rebooting my car and logging out of and back into the app. This is on iOS with latest version of Tesla app. Also does the same thing on my wife’s phone so it’s not just my phone.
FWIW, rebooting the car did the trick immediately for the app on both mine and my wife’s phone. We had the spinning circle for quite a while. Tried all the phone and app fixes suggested in this thread first. None of them worked.

Hey everyone. For the last couple of weeks my app will not connect to my Model 3 if it’s asleep. If it’s awake it will connect just fine but will not connect when it’s asleep. It’s almost like it won’t wake the car. I’ve left the app open for over 10 minutes and still just sits there with the spinning circle and says “car last seen X number of hours ago”

I’ve tried rebooting my car and logging out of and back into the app. This is on iOS with latest version of Tesla app. Also does the same thing on my wife’s phone so it’s not just my phone.
FWIW, I had the same issue for weeks on my wife’s and my app. Tried all phone based solutions in this string. Rebooting our Model S did the trick immediately.

They said:
Did you need to replace anything?

I have a similar problem, but not exactly with my M3. I also have a ticket with Tesla support, and they told me the same thing. Engineering will review, and the ticket is closed.

This is my problem. My App won't connect to the car. Even while driving, the IOS app would just keep on spinning. I know Signal is fine, as I can watch Hulu in my Tesla using LTE, but my App will not connect.

For the Temporary fix, do the two-finger reboot. Works 100% of the time. But I need to repeat it every time I start my car.

The permanent personal fix. I found another post here suggesting disabling WIFI. So I deleted the WIFI AP and disabled WIFI, and my App has worked ever since. When there is an update, I connect back to the WIFI and disable it after the update.

My unprofessional guess. I think the WIFI continues to connect even after driving 20 miles away from home. Yes, I have that box unchecked for continuing connecting while driving or something like that. I have redone my WIFI setup, still won't work. I'm fine without WIFI, as LTE works where I live.

Hope this helps. Tesla has no answer still.

Reactions: thatdude902
I am having the same issue for the last week or so when car is parked in the garage. Tried deleting the app, turning off wifi, the two-finger reboot (which only works temporarily) and can’t get anything to work permanently. Happening in on my iPhone, wife’s iPhone and my iPad.

Might be late to the party but I think I found a solution…

I noticed my MYP was not connecting and kept doing the spinning next to “Last Seen X days ago”. Rebooted car, nothing. Deleted app and reinstalled, nothing. Turned off wifi on my phone to see if LTE would do the trick, nothing.

Then I completely forgot that I recently configured a new ASUS router in my home replacing the fios router we had. This means the car was not connected to the new router/wifi. Had my wife go to the wifi settings on the MYP this morning and connect to the new hotspot and voila, it stopped the spinning immediately and now everything is working as intended. In my case there was likely a sync issue between the old wifi connection and the new wifi connection.

My guess is that once it lost the old wifi hotspot, the MYP likely kept looking for this connection in the background continuously and may possibly have not tripped something in the computer to talk with the LTE connection on my phone. Once I reconnected to my new wifi/hotspot it kicked in and when turning off wifi on my phone it now displays with the LTE. Again this fixed it for me because I had configured a new router/modem replacing my old existing fios router/modem. I’d suggest you all try to remember if you had any changes with network connectivity at your house that your Tesla may be trying g continuously connect to.

Reactions: IndyGopher
Might be late to the party but I think I found a solution…

I noticed my MYP was not connecting and kept doing the spinning next to “Last Seen X days ago”. Rebooted car, nothing. Deleted app and reinstalled, nothing. Turned off wifi on my phone to see if LTE would do the trick, nothing.

Then I completely forgot that I recently configured a new ASUS router in my home replacing the fios router we had. This means the car was not connected to the new router/wifi. Had my wife go to the wifi settings on the MYP this morning and connect to the new hotspot and voila, it stopped the spinning immediately and now everything is working as intended. In my case there was likely a sync issue between the old wifi connection and the new wifi connection.

My guess is that once it lost the old wifi hotspot, the MYP likely kept looking for this connection in the background continuously and may possibly have not tripped something in the computer to talk with the LTE connection on my phone. Once I reconnected to my new wifi/hotspot it kicked in and when turning off wifi on my phone it now displays with the LTE. Again this fixed it for me because I had configured a new router/modem replacing my old existing fios router/modem. I’d suggest you all try to remember if you had any changes with network connectivity at your house that your Tesla may be trying g continuously connect to.
Oh wow, this worked for me as well after trying everything else! Thank you! Basically, I don't have premium connectivity and was using my phone to hotspot the car earlier today. Apparently that's what the car was searching for while parked, since it immediately connected and showed up in my app when I turned hotspot back on just now. When I turn it off, the car disappears. I'll have to mess with the settings from inside the car at some point, but this helped in the short term. Thx again!