Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla app won't work correctly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been using my tesla app without a problem for about 6 months. Everything on it works except for the ability to drive without the key. For whatever reason, tesla could never get this function working. Now for the past few months, I can no longer unlock the car with the app. It will lock, control the AC, honk, flash lights. Summon is intermittently working... I have tried resetting the car, new firmware, deleting the app, logging in and out, resetting password. The same is true on my wife's phone as well so its not just my phone. Tesla is working on it, but noone has had an answer. Anyone else with similar experience?

Do you have a good network ? The "summon is intermittently working" make me wondering if it's not a communication problem. Indeed, summon constantly communicate between the phone/the car/the mothership and if the connexion is not good anywhere on the line, everything is stopped.

If your connection is good on the phone side, it can be the car. Do the connexion work well in the car itself ?

For me it work 99% of the time but I don't use the "drive without key" very much. (When it doesn't work it a coverage issue or a temporary break down on the Tesla servers side). Drive without key is sensitive so it may have the same level of security as summon, so any doubt (bad communication) mean "cancel".

Do you have a good network ? The "summon is intermittently working" make me wondering if it's not a communication problem. Indeed, summon constantly communicate between the phone/the car/the mothership and if the connexion is not good anywhere on the line, everything is stopped.

If your connection is good on the phone side, it can be the car. Do the connexion work well in the car itself ?

For me it work 99% of the time but I don't use the "drive without key" very much. (When it doesn't work it a coverage issue or a temporary break down on the Tesla servers side). Drive without key is sensitive so it may have the same level of security as summon, so any doubt (bad communication) mean "cancel".

I can get summon to work at home in and out of the garage on wifi. But I've tried it at a few parking lots where it seems to have a good connection and gotten nothing...

The phone as a key and unlocking when you grab the handle uses Bluetooth low energy. Everything else is LTE cell phone data. If you are in a remote area without cell data the app won't work EXCEPT the Bluetooth low energy functions of unlock and as a key, which in your case doesn't work anywhere. Does the phone work with the Tesla hands free calling? Is the phone paired? What OS and version?

The car itself has no connection problem ? You can use the online feature without problem (outside of wifi) ? It may be an antenna problem in the car (wifi OK but poor 3G/LTE or something related to 2G/3G/LTE with only one working or something). I would ask the SC to check the car.

You have tested so much different case with your phone and the one of your wife that it shouldn't be related to the app itself. (which usually work fine)

Yes my phone is paired and works perfectly for calls. The app has location services enabled. The app worked fine in the same situations on both me and my wife’s phone until recently. Now it’s the same issue with both. Car parked in same location. Same issue. I’m sure it’s a Tesla problem, but they have not fixed it for 3 months now.

Sounds like it’s your car only ....lot of iPhone users and if this was prevalent would have seen more posts ...versions types of phones are somewhat relevant to solicit some feedback

iPhone X Tesla app v 3.4.4
App has worked flawlessly since I bought the car in Jan 17 (model S 90D).
About 1-2 months ago I noticed the app no longer unlocked doors remotely. Flash lights, honk horn and pre-condition all work flawlessly. Unlock/lock and hatch open does not work. Called Tesla and they are going to send out a mobile tech. I brushed it off the last month or so thinking a software update would fix it to no avail. Also - this could be coincidence but I started having these issues after the MCU got replaced.

So this issue was fixed by a mobile tech. He had to update his software on his laptop to the most current version, then use it to plug into my mcu? and update/pair the system. He said there was something not linking up appropriately. Since the fix, all functions are 100%. I have a v2.5 car, and my mcu was replaced a while back. The error started for me randomly though. Hopefully this info helps. goodluck

• Informative
Reactions: P85_DA
Mine is fixed....mobile tech I spoke with on the phone went into his system and they “reset everything.” Sure enough - everything works flawless again. Just call, explain your situation and explain that they need to “reset everything”