Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla App.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
..Nobody has yet made a decent app for the OS with the majority of the smartphone market.

This is a ridiculous oversimplification. Android fragmentation is so out of control that you have to develop for half a dozen "OSs" to capture a decent market share. The Remote S developer is making the smart play and developing for the biggest audience with the least amount of development headache.

Reactions: MikeKFE
This is a ridiculous oversimplification. Android fragmentation is so out of control that you have to develop for half a dozen "OSs" to capture a decent market share. The Remote S developer is making the smart play and developing for the biggest audience with the least amount of development headache.
Absolute BS. Ignoring the fact that android "fragmentation" is a complete myth in the first place. None of the features in any of these apps would be in any way dependent on one android device vs another. They're all simple API calls to Tesla it barely gets any simpler than that in the app world. One version would do every android device and hence 84% of smartphone devices. Unless you relly on extremely obscure OS function calls (and if you need that for this type of app you should be banned from programming altogether) then every android device is the same.
The remote s developer chose to appeal to the smaller audience, and considering ease of development as reported in most places, at the biggest headache and with the most expense.

Developing for Apple is a ridiculous strategy if you want to grab market share. Samsung alone sells nearly double as many devices as apple. And they're but one of many vendors.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: GWord
Absolute BS. Ignoring the fact that android "fragmentation" is a complete myth in the first place. None of the features in any of these apps would be in any way dependent on one android device vs another. They're all simple API calls to Tesla it barely gets any simpler than that in the app world. One version would do every android device and hence 84% of smartphone devices.
The remote s developer chose to appeal to the smaller audience, and considering ease of development as reported in most places, at the biggest headache and with the most expense.

Developing for Apple is a ridiculous strategy if you want to grab market share. Samsung alone sells nearly double as many devices as apple. And they're but one of many vendors.

Lol. Ok software hero. Let us know when your Tesla Android app is ready.

• Funny
Reactions: MikeKFE and Apricot
Another +1 for Remote S, especially if you have an Apple Watch. I actually bought the watch to run the app and love it. I assume many of you will be jumping on the Apple Watch bandwagon when watch 2 is announced tomorrow. Butt the app - it's great - and Allen is very responsive to requests (of he ever gets his Tesla repaired so he can do further mods!!).

He has received numerous requests for Android version but apparently has been working on other IOS apps that are more profitable for him.

Lol. Ok software hero. Let us know when your Tesla Android app is ready.
I'm not an app programmer, but that doesn't change a single one of my points.

So far I've built basic voice controls for my car through my android wear smart watch, and a web based control page. They're not polished enough to release to other people, but they get the job done for me.

The choice to develop for apple only was a bad choice, that part is exceedingly obvious, it alienates the vast majority of users, and is no easier (and reportedly harder and more expensive) to develop than android.
The only reason I can fathom why he did it was that it was for his personal use, not for the general public. That's OK, as long as people realize that it can't be trotted out as the be all end all of apps when an extremely small (and dropping quickly) percent of people can actually use it.

Actually I discovered that you can scroll backwards on the calendar to see past appointments. They are grayed out but if you tap them the location will still load into the map.

Was very handy looking at 37 properties every half hour starting at midnight.

While were somewhat on the subject, the calendar app won't display an appointment if it's past, even by just 30 mins.

Yeah, this is where I pretty much stopped. I am an app developer and Android is a pain if you are making something that has to be supported, but that's a discussion for a different board. If we're being honest with one another, your points just seem to come across as you not wanting to be wrong rather than an actual compelling argument.
Your only argument so far is that you're right because you say so, I'm the only one who brought facts and figures in to this, you just try to handwave then away.

You're the one coming across as "not wanting to be wrong"
The fact is that Android has 6 times the market share of Apple. The fact is that it has the majority of tech early adopters, and the fact is that it is easy to develop for, especially for extremely basic stuff like this that doesn't need to touch the hardware of the phone in any way.

I'm sorry, but android is the only sensible platform to build for if you care at all about market share.

The ONLY reason to develop for iOS is if you personaly use iOS and want to use the app personally. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that either. The only problem comes in when people come out and tell the whole world that this app that's available to a miniscule percent of users is the solution to all their woes and they should just use it.

I don't object to people developing apps they plan to use, just don't tell everyone that they should use it and assume they happen to be in the tiny minority when they are 6 times more likely not to be in that group.

As for your ridiculous "fragmentation" argument. List just one single item that remote s does that would be affected by that on android. You can't because there's nothing it does that would require any form of weird low level hardware access. It's all a simple web API. If you can't develop that without running in to "fragmentation" then I hoped I never have to use any of your apps because they are guaranteed to be doing things they have no right to do on my phone.

• Disagree
Reactions: nikj
Gosh, I didn't mean for my Remote S post to cause an apple vs android battle. Sorry guys, my intent was to point out an app that I had heard has some really great features and capabilities that the official Tesla app was missing. :(
It does, and worth the $10 to have it. The developer works hard at it. Remote S for Tesla on the App Store
Funny how our little debates erupt no matter the topic.......but they always reveal valuable bits anyway.

The fact is that Android has 6 times the market share of Apple. The fact is that it has the majority of tech early adopters, and the fact is that it is easy to develop for, especially for extremely basic stuff like this that doesn't need to touch the hardware of the phone in any way.

Like I said before, we're eagerly awaiting your amazing and wonderful Android app.