Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Apple Watch apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a bunch in the app store, and have been sifting through them. But before I buy one (or two) I thought I'd see if anyone has a favorite.

I'm mainly looking to use my watch as a key, and to open the trunk and frunk. Things that would be helpful to be able to do when outside the car and perhaps you left your phone in the house, a bag, etc. Or in case you locked your phone in the car. Ugh.

It would be difficult to lock your phone inside the Tesla vehicle, the Tesla won't lock as long as the phone detected inside the vehicle. if you turned off BT on the phone or powered off the phone or placed the phone inside a metal container then the vehicle would lose communication with the phone and would lock depending on the vehicle's security settings.

I have been following the Watch App for Tesla. The home page currently has an advisory stating that some users are experiencing issues with being constantly logged out from the app, unable to log in again.

Home - Watch app for Tesla

Earlier this past August there was an article on 9to5Mac on Apple strictly enforcing written consent for use of 3rd party APIs. I have not seen any update regarding this matter.

Apple rejects 3rd-party Tesla app update as it strictly enforces written consent for third-party API use [U] - 9to5Mac

Before sending your Tesla account credentials to any 3rd party, have you set up multi-factor authentication on your Tesla account? This is easy to do, helps secure your Tesla account from being hacked. If a bad actor hacks your Tesla account they can locate your vehicle, add new card keys, change your login password.

Separately, the Tesla vehicle PIN to drive security setting will prevent someone from hopping into your Tesla, driving away with your vehicle should you exit the Tesla briefly while your phone is in the vehicle.

These security measures should be activated before considering any 3rd party app for your Tesla vehicle.

Last edited:
I have been following the Watch App for Tesla. The home page currently has an advisory stating that some users are experiencing issues with being constantly logged out from the app, unable to log in again.

Home - Watch app for Tesla

Earlier this past August there was an article on 9to5Mac on Apple strictly enforcing written consent for use of 3rd party APIs. I have not seen any update regarding this matter.

Apple rejects 3rd-party Tesla app update as it strictly enforces written consent for third-party API use [U] - 9to5Mac

Before sending your Tesla account credentials to any 3rd party, have you set up multi-factor authentication on your Tesla account? This is easy to do, helps secure your Tesla account from being hacked. If a bad actor hacks your Tesla account they can locate your vehicle, add new card keys, change your login password.

Separately, the Tesla vehicle PIN to drive security setting will prevent someone from hopping into your Tesla, driving away with your vehicle should you exit the Tesla briefly while your phone is in the vehicle.

These security measures should be activated before considering any 3rd party app for your Tesla vehicle.

I wonder why Tesla hasn’t released a watch app.

Or maybe they’re working on one?:

Tesla Apple Watch App Coming Soon? Currently "In The Works" Claims Insider - TeslaNorth.com

I'm mainly looking to use my watch as a key, and to open the trunk and frunk.

I've been using the Watch for Tesla app on my Apple Watch for a few months now. Not using it as a key but the ability to open the trunk as I push a cart through a parking lot so that it's open when I get there has been great. Also used it over the summer to turn the AC on remotely. Worth $3.

I'd be a bit concerned with the recent announcement that Apple has plans to produce it's own BEV. That would make Apple and Tesla direct competitors - Apple wouldn't have any incentive to make it's products work seamlessly with Teslas. It would suck to lose the ability to use my iphone as my key but I guess a key fob would work as a backup right?

I'd be a bit concerned with the recent announcement that Apple has plans to produce it's own BEV. That would make Apple and Tesla direct competitors - Apple wouldn't have any incentive to make it's products work seamlessly with Teslas. It would suck to lose the ability to use my iphone as my key but I guess a key fob would work as a backup right?
Doubt they would be that short sighted. A LOT of us would simply go Android.

Reactions: AquaY
I think if Apple can allow unimpeded Google and Microsoft apps on their phones, Tesla shouldn't be a problem.
It's a lot easier to change your phone than your car if apple were to prevent the iphone from properly interacting with a Tesla.

Reactions: AquaY