Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Apple Watch apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been using the Watch for Tesla app for a couple of weeks and it’s great for the basic functions. Think it was $8 or so.

It's great. Started using it last summer and it was very nice to turn on the AC via the watch while walking back to the car with an arms load of stuff. Nice cool car on a hot day after the beach.

Also works great walking back to the car and popping open the trunk to help you find your Model Y in a sea of cars.

The developer keeps updating it too and I just recently found out you can reorder and reorganize the buttons. I have Climate, Frunk and Trunk on my first screen so no need to swipe left to get the trunk open. I think the app default is Climate, Frunk and Lock.

It's great. Started using it last summer and it was very nice to turn on the AC via the watch while walking back to the car with an arms load of stuff. Nice cool car on a hot day after the beach.

Also works great walking back to the car and popping open the trunk to help you find your Model Y in a sea of cars.

The developer keeps updating it too and I just recently found out you can reorder and reorganize the buttons. I have Climate, Frunk and Trunk on my first screen so no need to swipe left to get the trunk open. I think the app default is Climate, Frunk and Lock.
Agreed. I mean, I hate to use this phrase, but it's basically a "must-have" when it comes to apps for anyone that has an Apple Watch. Great for everything you'd need to do, outside of Summoning the car. And all for $8 or so.

Reactions: 1051 and Mike_TV
I see quite a few App Store apps for Tesla for Apple Watch:

RPM Tesla (Free)
Watch app for Tesla ($11.99)
Nikola for Tesla ($9.99 to 239.99) !!
Watch Remote for Tesla ($2.99)
TezLab ($49.99/year)
Charged for Tesla ($57.99/year)
Remote for Tesla ($29.99)
Stats ($49.99)

What is the general consensus? Thanks

RPM Tesla (Free)
Watch app for Tesla ($11.99)
Nikola for Tesla ($9.99 to 239.99) !!
Watch Remote for Tesla ($2.99)
TezLab ($49.99/year)
Charged for Tesla ($57.99/year)
Remote for Tesla ($29.99)
Stats ($49.99)

issue is giving permission to these developers. A lot of breaching is happening right now. Your tesla account could be hacked.

I don't think this is not the way Stats works. When I log-in it is directly with Tesla. From their website: "Stats never sees your Tesla email or password. The app forwards the user to the Tesla website to login directly with Tesla (technical term for the protocol is oAuth2)."

The developer has been around for a while so not something I am worried about.

Think with the Stats app you gotta look at it as you are getting all of the car stats features like in TezLab or Teslafi for a one time cost and no monthly fees AND you get the watch app as well. So a fair price when all added up
Yep. I am totally against the monthly fee business model and won't support any app that does that, other than streaming services of course.

Think with the Stats app you gotta look at it as you are getting all of the car stats features like in TezLab or Teslafi for a one time cost and no monthly fees AND you get the watch app as well. So a fair price when all added up
I agree with you 100%. I was on the fence about it and had already bought Watch for Tesla, but I ended up buying it. It is a great app for the money and really pleased with it. Does all I want so far and no monthly subscription. It isn't cheap compared to a lot of other apps but it really has a nice interface and a lot of info.

I use the Watchla app (was actually a beta tester before release). I use Authla for token authorization as well. I am a fan of it, it does everything I need, doesn't seem to have any vampire drain, and the user interface is pretty easy to use.

Disclaimer, I have NEVER used any other watch app designed for the Tesla, so my review is narrow based on the only Watch specific tesla app I have used.

I agree with you 100%. I was on the fence about it and had already bought Watch for Tesla, but I ended up buying it. It is a great app for the money and really pleased with it. Does all I want so far and no monthly subscription. It isn't cheap compared to a lot of other apps but it really has a nice interface and a lot of info.
Curious as to which you preferred, either from user interface or just ease. Thanks!

Tough to say, if JUST for the watch, I like the watch for Tesla as you have more granularity for the complications. You can set up a lot more granularity with the complications (lock, state, frunk, trunk, climate, etc.). With Stats, you click the button and it loads the watch app. So I end up using them both. Overall I think Stats is worth the money. The watch app itself is very good but watch for Tesla is better but if I hadn't bought it first, I would have been fine with just Stats and its watch features.

I'd say buy then both. It shouldn't break the bank and play with them for a while. I find I like them each for certain tasks.

Reactions: cancoi

I tried Commands for Tesla, but the watch app would never connect to the car. The developer did some troubleshooting then invited me to the beta program. The problem was never fixed and the developer stopped responding.

Then I read about the unofficial API and I wrote some of my own iOS workflows to control the car via the watch. It worked but keeping them up to date was tedious - iOS does not have a good UI for building and debugging. I may try again once shortcuts makes it to macOS

Finally broke down and bought Stats. Watch app is fine. Visually it is not always clear what current status is. The sentry mode always has a gray circle (as if dimmed out or off) but it is actually the color of the sentry icon that tells you status. I find these frustrating - the net is you have to memorize a bunch of quirks to be able to look at it and know status.

I know you only care about the watch app, but given the price of Stats it’s worth considering the rest of its functions. If you use Stats to build iOS workflows, know that many of the Siri commands it implements are grammatically incorrect. Also, using the main app on the phone can be frustrating because all graphs represent days or months in the reverse order of normal (the most recent date closest to the left), while other things that correlate with time (such as odometer or clock hours) are represented in the standard left-to-right format. Too much cognitive load. The developer insists it’s better, but volumes of research on data visualization says otherwise.

I think there is still room for a good app in this space.

Last edited:
I'd be a bit concerned with the recent announcement that Apple has plans to produce it's own BEV. That would make Apple and Tesla direct competitors - Apple wouldn't have any incentive to make it's products work seamlessly with Teslas. It would suck to lose the ability to use my iphone as my key but I guess a key fob would work as a backup right?

Apple still has an incentive to make the iphone work with tesla. People may buy a phone that supports their car but I seriously doubt people will make the decision to buy a car because it is supported by their phone.
Now, Apple Car play on the other hand is a bit of a different matter. IMO