Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla - Apple Watch support

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow, this is really impressive... I'm not getting the watch right away, so this phone app is superb. Wonderful job! I'm assuming we will be able to buy this on the App Store soon, right?

Thanks for all your kind words. I can finally rest, because I just finished and submitted the app to the App Store. What took so long? Well, the Apple Watch app was completed when I made that video. But I also had to code the iPhone/iPad version. That took a whole other week to do. And then finally I had to field test this app for several days to make sure that it's perfect. I also added the features that I said that I wouldn't add to the first version, but ended up including them anyway, due to the huge support from you guys. Thanks, it really motivated me a lot to create a very feature-heavy app.

Breadcrumb mode is now pretty robust. It will keep a history of the MPH/direction/time of when the bread crumb was placed. Here's a picture of it in action. I just randomly picked one of the pins as an example: View attachment 80404

Here's some screens of the main app:
View attachment 80405View attachment 80406View attachment 80407View attachment 80408View attachment 80409

And yes, Touch ID does allow you to start the car. Besides the Apple Watch, Touch ID keyless start was the most requested feature. Just make sure that you have Apple Watch and Touch ID enabled in the login screen to enable these features. If you don't enable it in the login screen, you'd have to sign out and log back in to change the settings.

There's support for multiple cars. Just press that white car icon on the top-right to switch between cars.

There's support for km and celsius. The app will read the settings from your car automatically, so you don't have to set them. It will also change them on the fly when you change it in the car.

The Odometer is also more accurate than what your car will tell you. I tested it out, and it turns out that it's not accurate up to an inch (even though they give me the figure in inches). It's accurate up to maybe 10-20 feet. Still not bad. The odometer just doesn't update until you move a few feet.

Camp Mode is now working, as suggested by someone. I actually camped overnight in my Tesla to make sure that it works. Turns out that sending a "Turn on HVAC" command at the 29.9th minute doesn't cause the timer to reset. The car will still turn off the HVAC after 30 minutes. Solution? Just have the app turn it back on after the 30 minutes.

I actually opened up my app to accept all sorts of commands from the internet using protocols. So if you use the in-app browser, and have a website that sends a hvac://on command via javascript, the app will do that command without any user input. You can create complex scripts this way. For example, in the morning, you can have the website tell you the temperature, check the weather first, and then open/close the roof accordingly. And if it's too hot or too cold for just simple roof opening, you can have the car turn on the HVAC a certain time before you leave the house. And then maybe even unlock the car and start the engine for you before you get in, so you don't have to wait for the car to "start up". The possibilities are endless.

Why would you pair your Apple watch to model s?

It should pair with your iPhone and then iPhone to model s

I do, but if you do an activity with the Apple Watch, like a phone call, it won't default to the pairing via the iPhone. Things like using Siri on the Watch don't cut out the stereo because it isn't paired via Bluetooth.

So there's value in having both paired.

I do, but if you do an activity with the Apple Watch, like a phone call, it won't default to the pairing via the iPhone. Things like using Siri on the Watch don't cut out the stereo because it isn't paired via Bluetooth.

So there's value in having both paired.

Good observation! When I read your first post I though you were stupid, but this is smart. :)

It looks like my Apple Watch finally shipped today - I ordered a few minutes after the order page went live on 4/10 at midnight pacific, but the model I wanted (with link bracelet) is apparently in really high demand and no customers have received such models until this week.
Anyway, all this to say I can't wait to test the Tesla app on it soon! Fingers crossed for a quick approval by Apple. And thank you Allen for all your work on the apps! Best of luck for a speedy recovery. Health is always top priority.

Last edited: