Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla applies to install Supercharger stations in Texas with CCS connectors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Most likely it will be the same as what they did in Canada for locations that got funding through the Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) EV infrastructure grants. The qualifications for those grants were a little different from Texas's but they included a similar requirement that sites proposing to use proprietary connectors (i.e. Tesla) had to also include DCFC with universal connectors. What Tesla did was to install their normal superchargers and then alongside installed a sufficient number of 3rd party CCS/CHAdeMO DCFC to meet the grant requirements (for NRCan it was a minimum of 25% of the total number of stations needed to be universal). The end result was normally 8-stall V3 superchargers with 3 Flo brand DCFC right next to them.

Reactions: MarcoRP
If this is indeed Tesla's plan, then more power (as it were) to them. There won't be any competition for the Supercharger slots coming from other vehicles.
I believe the days are numbered for superchargers to be Tesla only. In my opinion it he “right” thing to do is to open all charging networks to all EVs. Make a ccs->Tesla and a Tesla->ccs adapter.

More and more CCS stations are going to pop up as EV adoption continues to move past the tipping point and it is important for me as a Tesla owner to be able to charge at ccs sites to fill in the gaps within the supercharger network.

Most likely it will be the same as what they did in Canada for locations that got funding through the Natural Resources Canada (NRCan) EV infrastructure grants. The qualifications for those grants were a little different from Texas's but they included a similar requirement that sites proposing to use proprietary connectors (i.e. Tesla) had to also include DCFC with universal connectors. What Tesla did was to install their normal superchargers and then alongside installed a sufficient number of 3rd party CCS/CHAdeMO DCFC to meet the grant requirements (for NRCan it was a minimum of 25% of the total number of stations needed to be universal). The end result was normally 8-stall V3 superchargers with 3 Flo brand DCFC right next to them.
I thought the language for the Texas subsidy was that there had to be one standard connector for each proprietary connector. In that case, it would make more sense to do a dual cable setup like V2 in Europe - Tesla proprietary plus CCS.

Reactions: RTPEV
I thought the language for the Texas subsidy was that there had to be one standard connector for each proprietary connector. In that case, it would make more sense to do a dual cable setup like V2 in Europe - Tesla proprietary plus CCS.
Yes, I understood it as 1 to 1 in Texas. I don't think they'll go that way but I could be wrong. Maybe now that they are trialing opening the Supercharger network in the Netherlands they could do it that way. It would mean that they've put in some work on the payment system for non-Tesla vehicles which is the biggest hurdle to doing a dual cable setup with the superchargers themselves. Originally, that wasn't an issue in Europe because, regardless of the connector type, all the vehicles using the superchargers were still Teslas and they all had the same integrated billing capabilities. That wouldn't be the case here, so to have a dual cable set up would require a system to enable billing the CCS users, presumably through an app. I'm still doubtful that's the direction they'll go, but we'll see.

It just cracks me up that Tesla "needs" or "should" make sure their network is available to non-Tesla vehicles. I get the dual regulatory requirement as a method to get private entities to subsidize their competition but this moral imperative is lost on me.

and yes, I am aware of what Elon has said since day one..........

Reactions: Genie
Yes, I understood it as 1 to 1 in Texas. I don't think they'll go that way but I could be wrong. Maybe now that they are trialing opening the Supercharger network in the Netherlands they could do it that way. It would mean that they've put in some work on the payment system for non-Tesla vehicles which is the biggest hurdle to doing a dual cable setup with the superchargers themselves. Originally, that wasn't an issue in Europe because, regardless of the connector type, all the vehicles using the superchargers were still Teslas and they all had the same integrated billing capabilities. That wouldn't be the case here, so to have a dual cable set up would require a system to enable billing the CCS users, presumably through an app. I'm still doubtful that's the direction they'll go, but we'll see.
Tesla's method would be via the app.
Instead of car -> account -> card, it's app -> account -> card.

This will be the interesting thing to see once it's built:
It is not clear whether Tesla will use an adaptor or will have only half the stalls equipped with CCS plugs to satisfy the funding conditions.
Ideally, dual-cable would be what we see, but I don't think they have a pedestal deign for that.

Very cool, thanks Randy for the heads up. We've been thinking of getting a Mach e for Shannon in lieu of her Volt and to have the Tesla supercharging network available to it would give us the option of taking her car or my Y on long trips.

Very cool, thanks Randy for the heads up. We've been thinking of getting a Mach e for Shannon in lieu of her Volt and to have the Tesla supercharging network available to it would give us the option of taking her car or my Y on long trips.
Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. There's more than 1 way to interpret the underlying documents that that reporting is based on. Personally, I'm still quite doubtful of the one chosen. I still think it's more likely that Tesla will repeat what they did in Canada when applying for grants with similar requirements to include universal charging (albeit at a lower ratio than 1:1 like Texas's requirements). Namely, they'll install a normal supercharger and next to it install CCS/CHAdeMO chargers managed by another provider. Regardless, until we find out exactly what they're doing, don't rely on this story to mean anything at all for Tesla's plans to open their supercharger network in the US.

Don't count your chickens before they're hatched. There's more than 1 way to interpret the underlying documents that that reporting is based on. Personally, I'm still quite doubtful of the one chosen. I still think it's more likely that Tesla will repeat what they did in Canada when applying for grants with similar requirements to include universal charging (albeit at a lower ratio than 1:1 like Texas's requirements). Namely, they'll install a normal supercharger and next to it install CCS/CHAdeMO chargers managed by another provider. Regardless, until we find out exactly what they're doing, don't rely on this story to mean anything at all for Tesla's plans to open their supercharger network in the US.
No worries, we're not in any rush and there's a 5-6 mo wait list for Mach-es anyway.