Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla applying for new loan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it would be a clever move to demonstrate the Model X prototype near end of 2012, then apply for a loan to finalize development (e.g. building and crash testing prototypes), and rolling out (e.g. homologation in markets abroad, opening more stores). That would serve as a solid point to those opposing any loan.

I think it would be a clever move to demonstrate the Model X prototype near end of 2012, then apply for a loan to finalize development (e.g. building and crash testing prototypes), and rolling out (e.g. homologation in markets abroad, opening more stores). That would serve as a solid point to those opposing any loan.

But with Tesla stating they have enough to finish S and X, people would jump on the inconsistency of their statements.

There is a point in Model X competing against the new RAV4 EV. Let's not get to discuss how Model X will or will not blow any other SUV out of the water - wrong thread.
As the Model X is based on the "skateboard" platform, Tesla speaks about "just" $100m for development, then selling another 15k cars/y. That's easy money, plus the increased volume will help R&D. They need medium volume for the "skateboard" platform to do the bluestar platform on their own financial resources, which is a requirement to apply for ATVM loans.

As the Model X is based on the "skateboard" platform, Tesla speaks about "just" $100m for development, then selling another 15k cars/y. That's easy money, plus the increased volume will help R&D. They need that volume to do the bluestar on their own financial resources, which is a requirement to apply for ATVM loans.

Precisely. It's just a variant -- easy to do, might as well.

If I were Tesla I would push the bluestar first, then an updated roadster, and then the model X. I believe that Toyota has the X market covered with Tesla drive trains in the Rav 4 EV.
I want the Bluestar first too. The Model X is just easier. And from what I hear it will be significantly more advanced than the Rav4.