Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla appointment for battery health concerns mysteriously disappeared

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my M3 SR+ for over 4 months now and drove for about 7k miles. The specified range for this car is 240 miles.

My regular charging limit is set to 80%. The Miles range on top left of the Dashboard is now consistently 182-183 miles when charging completes. I believed that range number is not based on my driving habits but instead it is based on Tesla's standard parameters. If that is correct, I would think that this is due to battery degradation as 80% of 240 miles (healthy battery with 100% charge) would be 192 miles.

I scheduled a service appointment with Tesla app and got an email confirmation for October 1st appointment. However, all of a sudden I just noticed that my appointment disappeared from my app. I wasn't notified of the same. To resolve this, I tried calling Tesla customer service at 1 (888) 518-3752 but that has 30+ minutes estimated wait time. That's just ridiculous. I then tried calling local service center where I was supposed to go which is Tesla Springfield NJ: (973) 921-0925.

When I call that number, all I get is an option to dial an extension of the person I wish to reach. Of course, I don;t know the extension of service team. How do I go bout this? Has anyone else experienced this issue with service appointment and with service centers?

Update: Upon further trying to reach service center, at least now I get an option to reach service center team but the wait time is.....50+ minutes. I guess that's better than not being able to reach them at all. Hope this will actually happen.

I have had my M3 SR+ for over 4 months now and drove for about 7k miles. The specified range for this car is 240 miles.

My regular charging limit is set to 80%. The Miles range on top left of the Dashboard is now consistently 182-183 miles when charging completes. I believed that range number is not based on my driving habits but instead it is based on Tesla's standard parameters. If that is correct, I would think that this is due to battery degradation as 80% of 240 miles (healthy battery with 100% charge) would be 192 miles.

I scheduled a service appointment with Tesla app and got an email confirmation for October 1st appointment. However, all of a sudden I just noticed that my appointment disappeared from my app. I wasn't notified of the same. To resolve this, I tried calling Tesla customer service at 1 (888) 518-3752 but that has 30+ minutes estimated wait time. That's just ridiculous. I then tried calling local service center where I was supposed to go which is Tesla Springfield NJ: (973) 921-0925.

When I call that number, all I get is an option to dial an extension of the person I wish to reach. Of course, I don;t know the extension of service team. How do I go bout this? Has anyone else experienced this issue with service appointment and with service centers?

Update: Upon further trying to reach service center, at least now I get an option to reach service center team but the wait time is.....50+ minutes. I guess that's better than not being able to reach them at all. Hope this will actually happen.
Not sure why it disappeared, I'm going to guess they looked at it and concluded that it is a non-issue but there is no excuse for no communication on that.

As to your concern of degradation. I calculate that you have about 5% over 7k miles. That is about right, there is quick degradation early on in a battery life, then it levels off and you will see hardly any degradation for a long time after that. Once the battery gets past its useful life then you will see more degradation again (theoretically after 200K miles). I think Tesla warranties 70% of capacity at 100k miles for your configuration but I would be alarmed if I saw degradation get anywhere close to that level. I would expect more like 15% +/- over 100k miles.

I used to see 220mi on my SR at 100% charge, they replaced the battery and now new battery shows ~211 on average. They had it for 7 weeks so I am not sure if the software changed during that time. I asked why it wasn't charging to 100% of expected range, they tried to charge it a few times which also charged to ~211 and then said it's fine. I asked to see the battery health report and they declined and actually told me to open an arbitration claim if i am not happy, heh. Not sure what to make of that. Would be relieved if it was fixed in version 10 because getting the battery replaced and the new battery not fully charging to 100% of expected range at least out of the box doesn't seem right...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pete_shaw
Not sure why it disappeared, I'm going to guess they looked at it and concluded that it is a non-issue but there is no excuse for no communication on that.

As to your concern of degradation. I calculate that you have about 5% over 7k miles. That is about right, there is quick degradation early on in a battery life, then it levels off and you will see hardly any degradation for a long time after that. Once the battery gets past its useful life then you will see more degradation again (theoretically after 200K miles). I think Tesla warranties 70% of capacity at 100k miles for your configuration but I would be alarmed if I saw degradation get anywhere close to that level. I would expect more like 15% +/- over 100k miles.
I hope you're right about the expected battery degradation over time. They couldn't explain why appointment got cancelled (without reason and without any notification to me) but now I have made another appointment. The customer service rep had no clear understanding of the real issue (battery range and potential degradation).

...They couldn't explain why appointment got cancelled (without reason and without any notification to me)...

Since you got an e-mail confirmation without an e-mail cancelation, I would say that's good enough for me to keep the original appointment.

If you know that the original appointment was canceled, then just book another one to get a new e-mail confirmation and bring it in as proof next time.

...My regular charging limit is set to 80%...

The Service Center recommendation is 90% if you want to skip the headache that you are experiencing!

Free charging, would you charge to 90% regularly?

...The customer service rep had no clear understanding of the real issue (battery range and potential degradation).

Like your case, there have been many visits for battery degradation but they were told that the battery's fine and it's just the calculation that translates to miles and not the battery itself.

That means if you were able to use Navigation on Autopilot for 270 mile route and the maximum battery gauge used to say 310 miles, but now the battery gauge only says 263 miles, you should be able to make the same route with the same method even though it looks as if you just lost 47 miles or 15% or a big battery degradation.

But that's not a true loss because the capacity is the same and you can still do the same long-distance route but it's just the battery gauge says inaccurately in miles that you can't.

Tesla Service Centers blame owners for charging less than 90% which makes the battery gauge inaccurate.

• Disagree
Reactions: MountainRatMat
I have pretty bad degredation as well, almost at 8% loss and bought car this year. It's not stopping as I had hoped. Just gave the standard reply everything is fine and cancelled my appointments. Will try again at 10% loss.

I recently sent a support email to them about the battery degradation on my LR, which now shows, depending on day, 290-297 miles for a 100% estimated charge. Here was their response:

Thank you for contacting Tesla and we sincerely apologize for the delay in our response.
We have reviewed your vehicle data and we are not seeing any issues currently reporting in.

You can change your range display mode between Instant Range and Average Range to adjust the projected range estimation.
Instant Range uses only the latest few data points to estimate the projected range, whereas Average Range uses the past 5, 15 or 30 miles of energy consumption to provide a more accurate projected range.

We are also seeing some issues where batteries are being underestimated by our range calculation system. This does not affect the energy retention capabilities of your HV Battery but, only the displayed range.
We have found that in cases where the battery is consistently charged to a lower state of charge, between 60-80% capacities, estimation becomes less accurate and tends to underestimate the true capacity of the battery.
The result is an incorrect reduction in the displayed range estimate. This does not affect the true range of the vehicle, as the end-of-drive conditions are based on real-time battery measurements of reducing battery power, rather than software estimates.

In any case, we recognize the inconvenience and negative user experience associated with this incorrect and reduced range estimate, and we are developing more accurate estimation algorithms which will be pushed as over-the-air updates.
You can also perform a battery discharge to a low level of 20% - 25% followed by a full charge to 100%. This method may be able to correct your Tesla's range estimation algorithm and you will be able to see a more accurate range estimate on your display.

Please keep in mind that some battery degradation can happen over time depending on your charging and driving habits.
The most important way to preserve the battery is to leave your vehicle plugged in when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive your Tesla for several weeks. When plugged in, your Tesla wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.

Never allow the battery to fully discharge. Even when your Tesla is not being driven, its battery discharges very slowly to power the on-board electronics. Discharging the Battery to 0% may result in damage to vehicle components. To protect against a complete discharge, Tesla enters a low-power consumption mode when the displayed charge level drops to approximately 0%. In this mode, the Battery stops supporting the on-board electronics and auxiliary 12V battery. Once this low-power consumption mode is active, immediately plug in your Tesla to prevent a jump-start and 12V battery replacement.

Lastly, we recommend to charge your vehicle to 80% capacity on a daily basis to best maintain the longevity of your battery. You can adjust your charging limit for your vehicle in the charging screen menu on your touchscreen.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you for your support to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

I recently sent a support email to them about the battery degradation on my LR, which now shows, depending on day, 290-297 miles for a 100% estimated charge. Here was their response:

Thank you for contacting Tesla and we sincerely apologize for the delay in our response.
We have reviewed your vehicle data and we are not seeing any issues currently reporting in.

You can change your range display mode between Instant Range and Average Range to adjust the projected range estimation.
Instant Range uses only the latest few data points to estimate the projected range, whereas Average Range uses the past 5, 15 or 30 miles of energy consumption to provide a more accurate projected range.

We are also seeing some issues where batteries are being underestimated by our range calculation system. This does not affect the energy retention capabilities of your HV Battery but, only the displayed range.
We have found that in cases where the battery is consistently charged to a lower state of charge, between 60-80% capacities, estimation becomes less accurate and tends to underestimate the true capacity of the battery.
The result is an incorrect reduction in the displayed range estimate. This does not affect the true range of the vehicle, as the end-of-drive conditions are based on real-time battery measurements of reducing battery power, rather than software estimates.

In any case, we recognize the inconvenience and negative user experience associated with this incorrect and reduced range estimate, and we are developing more accurate estimation algorithms which will be pushed as over-the-air updates.
You can also perform a battery discharge to a low level of 20% - 25% followed by a full charge to 100%. This method may be able to correct your Tesla's range estimation algorithm and you will be able to see a more accurate range estimate on your display.

Please keep in mind that some battery degradation can happen over time depending on your charging and driving habits.
The most important way to preserve the battery is to leave your vehicle plugged in when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive your Tesla for several weeks. When plugged in, your Tesla wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery.

Never allow the battery to fully discharge. Even when your Tesla is not being driven, its battery discharges very slowly to power the on-board electronics. Discharging the Battery to 0% may result in damage to vehicle components. To protect against a complete discharge, Tesla enters a low-power consumption mode when the displayed charge level drops to approximately 0%. In this mode, the Battery stops supporting the on-board electronics and auxiliary 12V battery. Once this low-power consumption mode is active, immediately plug in your Tesla to prevent a jump-start and 12V battery replacement.

Lastly, we recommend to charge your vehicle to 80% capacity on a daily basis to best maintain the longevity of your battery. You can adjust your charging limit for your vehicle in the charging screen menu on your touchscreen.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. Thank you for your support to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Wow, what a great response.

Moderators should make that a Sticky.

And maybe a requirement to be read my new member registrations. ;)

Hi, I created a thread about my battery problem here: Almost 15% range loss Model 3 Awd if you wanna read.

Anyway, I booked a SC appointment in the app saying that I wanted them to investigate why the battery has lost over 15% already. Today they cancelled the appointment saying that they did a remote diagnostics and could not see a problem. I am not happy with this and will try to schedule an another appointment. I really want to have a conversation about this face to face with them.

It's the same response that was sent to me. It's pretty much boiler plate copy and paste response now. Makes you wonder if they even checked the battery. Shake my head.

Reactions: axar
It's the same response that was sent to me. It's pretty much boiler plate copy and paste response now. Makes you wonder if they even checked the battery. Shake my head.
Same complained twice about a new car showing 8% loss and they ignored me and claimed battery diagnostic reported nothing wrong and that the car is smarter than us and would tell us if there is anything wrong before you know it....blah blah

Reactions: flybuzz
Hi, I created a thread about my battery problem here: Almost 15% range loss Model 3 Awd if you wanna read.

Anyway, I booked a SC appointment in the app saying that I wanted them to investigate why the battery has lost over 15% already. Today they cancelled the appointment saying that they did a remote diagnostics and could not see a problem. I am not happy with this and will try to schedule an another appointment. I really want to have a conversation about this face to face with them.
They are just ignoring legitimate issues to save money. I can understand if it's few miles or percent than it's not as big of a deal. But when people start losing close to 10%+ within the first year, they should at least take some responsibility on investigating the cause.

They are just ignoring legitimate issues to save money. I can understand if it's few miles or percent than it's not as big of a deal. But when people start losing close to 10%+ within the first year, they should at least take some responsibility on investigating the cause.

I think when you buy a new car with zero miles, or get a new battery, it should charge to the range you purchased... at least for awhile. 220/240/310/325 whatever...

Reactions: GreenT

Ohh come on, put your claim to the ultimate test to prove Tesla wrong then... Charge till 100% and go for a nice long drive to prove REAL degredation and that you are smarter than Tesla.

Stop using the rated miles as your degredation meter cause it isn't the end all meter for that. Yes it is a good start but you have to do further tests to prove that it isn't just a calibration error.

Go take a long drive, record the wh/mi, and how many miles you get before you run the battery down. Until and unless you do that, there's zero reason to believe you have a degradation issue. The email response was clear, concise, thoughtful and explanatory. Unless you can prove that the battery isn't doing what it should be, I'm inclined to believe their email.

I've read exactly zero reports of someone being stuck on the side of the road because the battery didn't deliver what it should have. Zero.

did you read the response/explanation from tesla above??

did you read the response/explanation from tesla above??

Yes although that does not help. I have tried 10-100% charge and discharges several times, not a single mile added back in my case. If you paid for a LR you should get that extra range, otherwise I might as well have bought an MR, since that's the range I'm getting. My point is that my degradation is not normal. I was okay with 5%, and even 10% to some extent but 15% is just too much. And I know that it might not be psychical degradation, but it is range loss, and my car will travel 15% less distance compared to a new one.

Reactions: jrcase