Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm picking thecar up on Saturday. I have the Tesla account App on my phone (I can't recall how I got it on there). It's the same as what I have on my PC, it shows my RN number, VIN, the delivery date etc. I can see that here are several other Apps; do I need to downlaod other apps on my phone? Do I set up a different account onmy wife's phone?

When I first got my Model 3 I downloaded loads of charging apps etc and route planners.....
I don't use any of them, only the main Tesla app, if I do need to charge at a specific charger I will just download/register then for it from now on.
You can register your wife seperately and set her an account up for her too.

If you want loads of data about your charging, drives, efficiency, locations you've visited etc there are quite a few apps you can use for that. You don't need them, but I like to see the data personally. Each of them has their benefits and are slightly different from each other. The ones with the most data tend to be better to use on PC than on phone though in my experience (TeslaFi, TeslaMate).

I agree with @Daaaavvveee - I did the same thing when I got my first EV & downloaded every route planner and charger app I could find & haven't used any of them since, except Zap-Map a handful of times to find nearby chargers when out & about. It does depend on how much charging you'll be doing away from home though. If you do a lot of mileage & will need to charge in different places you'll likely need the apps for the chargers you use.

I'm picking thecar up on Saturday. I have the Tesla account App on my phone (I can't recall how I got it on there). It's the same as what I have on my PC, it shows my RN number, VIN, the delivery date etc. I can see that here are several other Apps; do I need to downlaod other apps on my phone? Do I set up a different account onmy wife's phone?
it is possible to set up a separate account for your wife and link that to your car but personally I have never seen the need. I just put the app on my wife's phone with my PW. I guess it means she could go and purchase FSD on my credit card if she really wanted to but I am far more worried about what she is likely to buy in John Lewis than I am about that tbh.

• Funny
Reactions: RubberDuck46
it is possible to set up a separate account for your wife and link that to your car but personally I have never seen the need.
Isn't the main use of having a different account that you can use automatic profiles to reset the seat, wheel & mirrors when unlocking with the phone? Or does that work based on the physical handset instead of the account on the app? Not that it's a huge hassle to choose a profile on the screen, but the convenience factor is nice.

Isn't the main use of having a different account that you can use automatic profiles to reset the seat, wheel & mirrors when unlocking with the phone? Or does that work based on the physical handset instead of the account on the app? Not that it's a huge hassle to choose a profile on the screen, but the convenience factor is nice.
That’s surely going to be based on physical handset isn’t it as it will work via Bluetooth?

When I go to the App store, the App that has picks of the car is called Tesla lifestyles but it looks like it's telling me that this App is already isntaled but I don't see it. . . . . . could it be that I already have the App installed but don;t see much because I don't have a car yet ?

I'd presumed it would work on the Bluetooth ID of the phone, linked with the account the car knows is logged into it. Just guessing though, no-one else drives my car, so only my phone is connected to it.
You set up a profile for the second driver, then use the physical keycard to set the phone as the profile trigger. And you can set the main driver's phone as the profile that is the default - so if both of you approach the car, the car treats the "main" driver as the profile it defaults to. If it senses only the second phone, the profile for that person is set.

Reactions: Dave Cook
When I go to the App store, the App that has picks of the car is called Tesla lifestyles but it looks like it's telling me that this App is already isntaled but I don't see it. . . . . . could it be that I already have the App installed but don;t see much because I don't have a car yet ?
The App is called Tesla, you are seeing 'LifeStyle' because that is the category that it's assigned in the Apple Store. Go to your App Library and search for Tesla on the phone and you'll find it.

I have mine added as a widget to my iPhone's home screen, so I can see the status of the car all the time and one click to open the app. If you don't have the car then you'll see your appointment for collection etc. When you sign for the car either immediately or overnight the app will start having complete control of the car.

If you want to know more, read the manual ... Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

Reactions: Adopado
I just put the app on my wife's phone with my PW

Me too

I guess it means she could go and purchase FSD on my credit card if she really wanted to

hadn't thought of that ... take the ICE if going somewhere illicit!

Isn't the main use of having a different account that you can use automatic profiles

As already said the Phone (and keycard, and key fob) is Paired with a profile, so any of those, unlocking the car, will change to that profile.

You set up a profile for the second driver, then use the physical keycard to set the phone as the profile trigger. And you can set the main driver's phone as the profile that is the default - so if both of you approach the car, the car treats the "main" driver as the profile it defaults to. If it senses only the second phone, the profile for that person is set.
I will try that, but I'm not convinced it will work. My wife and I use the same Tesla account and our individual phones don't change the profile in the car. It just seems to remember the last profile used regardless of the phone. So if my wife has been driving and I go in the car with my phone it still has her profile loaded. But it's not that my phone happens to default to her profile as it then remains on my profile until she changes it back to hers.

It would be nice if it automatically changed as her steering wheel position is painfully low and I have to squeeze in to change it manually!

I will try that, but I'm not convinced it will work. My wife and I use the same Tesla account and our individual phones don't change the profile in the car. It just seems to remember the last profile used regardless of the phone. So if my wife has been driving and I go in the car with my phone it still has her profile loaded. But it's not that my phone happens to default to her profile as it then remains on my profile until she changes it back to hers.

It would be nice if it automatically changed as her steering wheel position is painfully low and I have to squeeze in to change it manually!
If you set up the easy access profile when you put the car in park you can have the settings lift the wheel up and take the seat back every time. At least then it gives you a chance to stop it changing back to your wife!

If you set up the easy access profile when you put the car in park you can have the settings lift the wheel up and take the seat back every time. At least then it gives you a chance to stop it changing back to your wife!
Yeah that would be my last resort. But I'll try pairing our individual phones to the respective driver profiles as @CWT3LR suggested. It looks like that might actually work.

I'd presumed it would work on the Bluetooth ID of the phone, linked with the account the car knows is logged into it. Just guessing though, no-one else drives my car, so only my phone is connected to it.
Yes it uses device specific BT id for the setup of the seats etc, as a lease user I cannot set up additional profiles (unless i spend an age asking my lease company to do so, so Mrs F just uses my log in credentials.

It goes a step further and links the phone to any driver profile you choose. So the Tesla account itself doesn't matter. I've only just learnt this part myself after 4 years of ownership! Although to be fair I was the only driver of our MX and it's only in the last year we have both been driving our M3. I just need to link our driver profiles to our respective phones and then should be golden. At the moment both our phones are paired to the car, but not to any specific driver profile, so it just defaults to the last profile selected.

It goes a step further and links the phone to any driver profile you choose. So the Tesla account itself doesn't matter. I've only just learnt this part myself after 4 years of ownership! Although to be fair I was the only driver of our MX and it's only in the last year we have both been driving our M3. I just need to link our driver profiles to our respective phones and then should be golden. At the moment both our phones are paired to the car, but not to any specific driver profile, so it just defaults to the last profile selected.
I'm pretty sure its in the manual......

better than 4 years of a steering wheel in the nuts though I would argue
But as I said it wasn't actually 4 years of constant suffering. Only the odd time I borrow my wife's 1 year old M3. Slightly irritating, but not enough to resort to trawling through the user manual for a possible solution. Only reason I've discovered it now is by stumbling across this thread. It simply hadn't occurred to me that you could pair different phones to specific driver profiles when sharing the same Tesla account. So I wasn't actively looking for a solution. I'm sure there are plenty of other hidden gems in the manual and I have actually flicked through it a few times, just not memorised it all yet, LOL