Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Arbitration Procedure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for guidance regarding correct procedure to start an arbitration case with Tesla. If you have used this process, can you advise how best to get this going? What was your experience with AAA and were you satisfied with the process (weather or not the case went your way)?

I have followed the procedure outlined in my purchase agreement (see screenshot). It involved sending a request to [email protected] describing the issue and the desired outcome. To my dismay, the email I sent kept getting intercepted by [email protected]; customer support would tell me what I already knew (i.e. Tesla's position on the issue and sorry that you don't like it). I asked multiple times that the issue go to arbitration, but they kept (keep) stonewalling me. My next step was to contact AAA directly ([email protected]). Unfortunately, AAA won't even start/look at a case until you pay case opening fees. It clearly says in the Tesla Purchase Agreement that Tesla pays all arbitration fees. I have asked AAA about this and if they have a special case opening procedure for Tesla... that was 2 weeks ago and still waiting for a reply (pinged them again today, but...).

Tesla Arbitration.png

Best of luck to you.

This is one of the reasons I advise anyone purchasing a new vehicle from Tesla to opt out of the arbitration clause within 30 days.
Hi glide. How do I opt out of arbitration? Never mind. I Googled it. Can you help me understand why it’s best to opt out? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GSP
I have followed the procedure outlined in my purchase agreement (see screenshot). It involved sending a request to [email protected] describing the issue and the desired outcome. To my dismay, the email I sent kept getting intercepted by [email protected]; customer support would tell me what I already knew (i.e. Tesla's position on the issue and sorry that you don't like it). I asked multiple times that the issue go to arbitration, but they kept (keep) stonewalling me.

Has it been 60 days since your first email to [email protected]? (It seems like the policy states that they will "try" to resolve the issue for 60 days before starting the arbitration process.)

Out of curiosity what is the issue you are trying to resolve?

Reactions: mongo
After much frustration trying to get Tesla to respond, I opened a case directly with AAA by emailing [email protected]. They provided forms to fill out; I also included a cover clearly detailing my case, and copies of all relevant purchase/contract detail. They wanted a $200 case filing fee, but waived that when I pointed out Tesla contractual arbitration procedure pays all fees.

After that, what it took was a lot of patience... AAA is not very fast at responding either, and they get easily confused if you send them too many emails (always different person and they don't take the time to reference earlier correspondence).

Having said that, once Tesla became aware that I went directly to AAA, they finally contacted me directly and started negotiating resolution. I suspect they were trying to avoid costs of full arbitration (just guessing). We came to terms; the last step was for me to prove that I asked AAA to stand down.

Unfortunately, I cannot advise what the issue or the resolution was. Part of reaching terms was to sign a gag agreement.

After much frustration trying to get Tesla to respond, I opened a case directly with AAA by emailing [email protected]. They provided forms to fill out; I also included a cover clearly detailing my case, and copies of all relevant purchase/contract detail. They wanted a $200 case filing fee, but waived that when I pointed out Tesla contractual arbitration procedure pays all fees.

After that, what it took was a lot of patience... AAA is not very fast at responding either, and they get easily confused if you send them too many emails (always different person and they don't take the time to reference earlier correspondence).

Having said that, once Tesla became aware that I went directly to AAA, they finally contacted me directly and started negotiating resolution. I suspect they were trying to avoid costs of full arbitration (just guessing). We came to terms; the last step was for me to prove that I asked AAA to stand down.

Unfortunately, I cannot advise what the issue or the resolution was. Part of reaching terms was to sign a gag agreement.
I wish every member of the cult of Elon would read this and see how Tesla *really* treats its customers when a problem arises.