Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Artificial Driving Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What are you talking about? The Model Y weights over 4000 pounds. Even the Model 3 weights over 3600 pounds. What ICE car is quieter than a Tesla to a pedestrian?

That was my point Model 3 isn't a 3000 pound car.

My Jeep Summit was extremely quiet. Especially in the rear. It was 10x quieter than my Volt with the Stupid Pedestrian Noise maker (almost identical sound and level the Model 3 has).

Without the noise maker, I can hear tires grinding over the sand. Wheels turning. Cooling Pumps. AC Pumps. HVAC Fan etc. over the engine noise in many cars.

Sometimes the EV can be louder !!

Lexus, Audi A8, Cadillac's etc. are extremely quiet. They put a lot into quieting the cabin, but as a side effect the whole vehicle is quiet externally as well. Maybe they should get noise makers too. But it feels like EV is getting all the brunt of it.

Maybe a radar based noise maker.

A noise maker below 20 mph is just stupid.

Ridiculous. Do we really need a study to prove that 3000 pound car moving SILENTLY through a parking lot is less safe than a 3000 pound car making a noise?

No, the assertion is that a car making the noise is MORE safe. And yes, we DO need a study to show that. Otherwise, where do you draw the line? Based on your personal knowledge that a study is not needed? Or whose? Are you SO certain you have no bias?

When I first read that this was coming down the pike a year or more ago, much of the concern seemed to relate to blind people. That seems pretty valid. If you can't actually see well, then you really need to have another sense take over, and if a driver is distracted by texting and doesn't see you and you can't see them...well, the sound is helpful.

I love the quiet of my eV, but I can tolerate some low amount of sound at low speeds to help others. Back when I drove a Mits 3000GT VR/4, I bought an insert for the reverse lights that would not only light, but also emit a beep-beep-beep like trucks have. I did not want to be one of those people who accidentally backed over someone (like my kids) or hit a pedestrian when I might not be able to see and they couldn't pay attention.

Adding small, relatively (in my mind, your mind may disagree) inobstrusive aids that operate under strict parameters doesn't seem as agregious or inappropriate to me as some in this thread seem to suggest. I don't want this to be a loud sound or play at higher speeds, but at city/town speeds where pedestrians might cross the road? It doesn't seem like a big ask.

I dont doubt the the motivation behind the noise-maker is well-intentioned, but imho it's misguided. Part of my work involves the design of patient monitors used in hospital ICU/CCU. These devices are damn smart and can alert nursing staff to (literally) hundreds of potential patient issues. BUT that causes a problem, because in a typical ICU it is almost certain that at least one (audible) alarm is going off pretty much 24/7. The result? Alarm fatigue on the part of staff, who basically dont hear them any more; they just become background noise. In fact, the sure way to get a nurse to stop and look around in surprise is that rare occasion when all the alarms STOP.

And this is where we are going to end up with all these noise makers. As EVs get more and more common they are going to be going off all the time .. and people will become so habituated to them that they won't notice, won't look up from texting, and so the noise-maker will contribute essentially nothing to safety. All they will do is add more noise pollution .. terrific.

A few months ago some statistics were published indicating that pedestrian-related serious car accidents had gone up hugely (80%) in the last few years (these were actual US government numbers), and the finger was generally being pointed at SUVs (since the higher height tends to push people under the car rather then over the top apparently). But have we seen anything to fix that very real problem? Nope, instead we get a little man walking in front of an EV with a red flag (not literally, but that WAS the case way back when automobiles were new in the UK 100+ years ago .. and no I'm not making this up).

I dont doubt the the motivation behind the noise-maker is well-intentioned, but imho it's misguided. Part of my work involves the design of patient monitors used in hospital ICU/CCU. These devices are damn smart and can alert nursing staff to (literally) hundreds of potential patient issues. BUT that causes a problem, because in a typical ICU it is almost certain that at least one (audible) alarm is going off pretty much 24/7. The result? Alarm fatigue on the part of staff, who basically dont hear them any more; they just become background noise. In fact, the sure way to get a nurse to stop and look around in surprise is that rare occasion when all the alarms STOP.

And this is where we are going to end up with all these noise makers. As EVs get more and more common they are going to be going off all the time .. and people will become so habituated to them that they won't notice, won't look up from texting, and so the noise-maker will contribute essentially nothing to safety. All they will do is add more noise pollution .. terrific.

A few months ago some statistics were published indicating that pedestrian-related serious car accidents had gone up hugely (80%) in the last few years (these were actual US government numbers), and the finger was generally being pointed at SUVs (since the higher height tends to push people under the car rather then over the top apparently). But have we seen anything to fix that very real problem? Nope, instead we get a little man walking in front of an EV with a red flag (not literally, but that WAS the case way back when automobiles were new in the UK 100+ years ago .. and no I'm not making this up).

I don't believe EV noise makers are analogous to alarms in the ER. Our personal safety system is probably 99% unconscious. The point of the noise maker is mostly to alert these brain processes.
ICE engines are air pumps. People with normal hearing are tuned to recognizing subtle car noise, whether they are consciously aware or not.
I prefer a well executed noise system. I drive in cities a lot and I don't like sneaking up on people who have are not looking. I do think that these systems will become more sophisticated as Teslas become highly reliable at identifying pedestrians. No reason the cars can't decide how much noise is appropriate depending on the local environment.

Guys I don't even hear the noise from inside the car. This is a bit of overreacting.

You can't deny that people often hear cars motors before seeing the car. Vehicles often even have beeping noises when reversing. This is without a doubt the quietest car I have ever seen. The argument that you can hear the tires rolling is not a good one. That is depending on what you are rolling over.

I don't believe EV noise makers are analogous to alarms in the ER. Our personal safety system is probably 99% unconscious. The point of the noise maker is mostly to alert these brain processes.
ICE engines are air pumps. People with normal hearing are tuned to recognizing subtle car noise, whether they are consciously aware or not.
I prefer a well executed noise system. I drive in cities a lot and I don't like sneaking up on people who have are not looking. I do think that these systems will become more sophisticated as Teslas become highly reliable at identifying pedestrians. No reason the cars can't decide how much noise is appropriate depending on the local environment.

The brain safety system is tuned to flagging things that are (literally) out of the ordinary. So that slight but new ping sound from an ICE engine is noticeable to the owner of the car, not the occasional passenger, because the owner are used to the normal car noise. We all experience that sense of "something is different" in any environment we are familiar with. Look at traffic noise. ICE cars make a lot of noise. So why do people walk out in front of cars? Because they are used to the noise .. it just doesnt register. If a lion strolled down the street and roared, even quietly, EVERYONE would stop dead and look around. What triggers the attention system of the brain is novelty .. and cars making noise are NOT a novelty.

I have said this before, noise or no noise will not help. I drive on a narrow country road that is used be many people to walk together or with their dogs. When I drive down my road in my F-150 people still do not move or they split to both sides of the road and then look at me like I’m crazy because they have not left enough room for me to get thru. Or they want me to drive off the road to get by. They do not hear the truck that is noisy just like my Tesla which is silent except for the tire noise.

I have said this before, noise or no noise will not help. I drive on a narrow country road that is used be many people to walk together or with their dogs. When I drive down my road in my F-150 people still do not move or they split to both sides of the road and then look at me like I’m crazy because they have not left enough room for me to get thru. Or they want me to drive off the road to get by. They do not hear the truck that is noisy just like my Tesla which is silent except for the tire noise.

You are applying your narrow country road to the world. I live in a city and nobody will even know I'm backing up if this thing doesn't make a noise. I can confirm everyone looks and moves for the reverse noise because they assume I don't see them. Sometimes they are right.

You are literally saying the people look at you and notice you because of tire noise but don't move out of your way. The moving out of the way thing is not the purpose of the noise. It's not a siren and you are not an emergency vehicle. The noise is for awareness. They are aware of the vehicle and in your example they even reacted. It just wasn't what you wanted. You said they moved over for you. I'm sure they'd move further if they thought you didn't see them but you said they look right at you. Pedestrians have the right of way. I'd move over for you but no I am not running off the road unless there is a reason.

Not everyone is driving in the country. There is no tire noise sometimes.

Reactions: mgraff
You are applying your narrow country road to the world. I live in a city and nobody will even know I'm backing up if this thing doesn't make a noise. I can confirm everyone looks and moves for the reverse noise because they assume I don't see them. Sometimes they are right.

You are literally saying the people look at you and notice you because of tire noise but don't move out of your way. The moving out of the way thing is not the purpose of the noise. It's not a siren and you are not an emergency vehicle. The noise is for awareness. They are aware of the vehicle and in your example they even reacted. It just wasn't what you wanted. You said they moved over for you. I'm sure they'd move further if they thought you didn't see them but you said they look right at you. Pedestrians have the right of way. I'd move over for you but no I am not running off the road unless there is a reason.

Not everyone is driving in the country. There is no tire noise sometimes.
I do not agree with you and I was just taking about my situation.

The result? Alarm fatigue on the part of staff, who basically dont hear them any more; they just become background noise. .

Reminds me of all the noise at fast food restaurants.

ding fries are done.JPG