Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Artificial Driving Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone - I was wondering if anyone knows if the 2020 Tesla line up, particularly the Model Y, will have an artificial driving noise like the Audi E-Tron? One of their service technicians told me a while ago that they are likely going to do it. Anyone have info on this?

I really hope they implement a noise at low speeds because I am ridiculously cautious driving through parking lots to not run over pedestrians and hit other cars in my silent Model 3! Thanks in advance!

Hi everyone - I was wondering if anyone knows if the 2020 Tesla line up, particularly the Model Y, will have an artificial driving noise like the Audi E-Tron? One of their service technicians told me a while ago that they are likely going to do it. Anyone have info on this?

I really hope they implement a noise at low speeds because I am ridiculously cautious driving through parking lots to not run over pedestrians and hit other cars in my silent Model 3! Thanks in advance!
My understanding is all of the new M3’s are already coming with it installed and functional. I would assume the Y will be the same.

Reactions: mswlogo
My understanding is all of the new M3’s are already coming with it installed and functional. I would assume the Y will be the same.

It's a government mandate in some jurisdictions. I hate the whole idea .. there is ZERO evidence that it prevents any accidents, particularly as it is only active at low speeds. I like the idea of choosing your own sounds though (Ride of the Valkyres anyone!!).

Reactions: Bobhilt

Artifical driving noises, at speed, is just ridiculous. If I wanted noise then I'd get an ICE. I want an EV because it's serene, peacefull, and quiet.

I'm sure I'll get blasted for saying this, but disabling the artificial low speed noise is quite frankly irresponsible. The point of the noise is to protect pedestrians.

But does it? Has anyone done a serious study of this? Did they compare it to accidents caused by (say) texting while walking into an intersection? Given that the warming sound only operates at low speed, how does this compare to colliding with a bicycle? Should bicycles also be required to have such devices? I'm not saying you are wrong about the intent, I'm just not sure its backed up by anything factual.

But does it? Has anyone done a serious study of this? Did they compare it to accidents caused by (say) texting while walking into an intersection? Given that the warming sound only operates at low speed, how does this compare to colliding with a bicycle? Should bicycles also be required to have such devices? I'm not saying you are wrong about the intent, I'm just not sure its backed up by anything factual.

Ridiculous. Do we really need a study to prove that 3000 pound car moving SILENTLY through a parking lot is less safe than a 3000 pound car making a noise?

• Disagree
Reactions: mswlogo
I have one of the earlier model 3's that doesn't have any sounds. I'm very happy that it doesn't have artificial sounds and never will.

I have owned EVs for six years (first a Leaf, then a Soul EV). They both made artificial noise. In no way did it reduce my absolute joy in driving an electric vehicle, but it did help make pedestrians aware that I was nearby.

I have a 2020 and it makes the noise but only at low speeds.

I am a supporter of it. I can't even hear it when going fwd and when backing up it really gets people's attention. I would rather not back into someone in a parking lot. If making a cool spaceship noice while backing keeps me from hurting someone one time in this cars life I am fine with that.

These cars are so quiet it obvious people are not going to realize something is coming up behind them.

They should give us the ability to pick the sound though.

It's not silent and not 3000 pounds. And many ICE cars are just as quiet these days.

You are being pedantic. I don't have the exact curb weight at my fingertips. It may not be "silent" but there is no doubt that an EV is much quieter without the artificial noise than with it. To your point about ICE cars, let me be clear. ANY CAR that doesn't make noise at low speed should also be required to have the artificial noise.

• Disagree
Reactions: CSFTN and mswlogo
You are being pedantic. I don't have the exact curb weight at my fingertips. It may not be "silent" but there is no doubt that an EV is much quieter without the artificial noise than with it. To your point about ICE cars, let me be clear. ANY CAR that doesn't make noise at low speed should also be required to have the artificial noise.

My point is ICE cars that are extremely quiet, especially backing up, have not been deemed a safety threat. But just because EV's don't make more noise when THROTTLED up they are labeled a safety threat and need to have noise makers added to them. When idling along in a parking lot EV's and ICE are pretty equal.

Imagine how stupid it will sound 20 years from now in traffic, a tunnel with traffic, in a busy parking lot or a garage all leaving a moving at once with all the space ship noises. You'll be able to tell LESS where a car is coming from with all the artificial noise pollution.

It's noise pollution as far as I'm concerned. My Volt has it and it's stupid. I won't disable it for liability sake.

I live on a quiet dirt road on a lake with other houses close to the edge of the road and often come in late at night. I'm embarrassed driving up in the Volt with the space ship noise announcing I'M HEAR EVERYONE, instead of hearing the loons in the distance. My ICE was more polite.

They should allow a manual defeat button that resets to on every time you start. At least do that.