Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla as a 1st car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife loves her Kia Soul EV, won't drive the S because of the blind spots. I have to admit I had some trouble adjusting to it at first. The model 3 on the other hand, I think anybody could drive that thing with ease. Still, if you want to pick up a used Kia Soul they are pretty nice little cars. And with a lot of them coming off lease as they now are, you should be able to get a really good deal. Of course the hundred mile range could be a killer for you.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
So this generated a lot more replies than I thought :) To address a few points:

- She will definitely have input. Re-reading my original post I guess it sounded like I was just going to choose something and hand it to her. But it will be a joint decision...I was just trying to figure out how the idea of a Tesla as a first car would be.
- My pockets have some room, but not endless. If I left it solely up to her and money was no object she'd get a new red Model S or a Range Rover. Thankfully she is good with money and understands the dynamics. Personally I'd rather spend under 20k, let her drive around a few years and play bumper cars, then upgrade.
- She won't drive a lot, at least now. Maybe when we have kids and she has to drive around more. She is currently not working so there is no commute issue.
- Originally she really wanted a Mini Cooper. Until I got my Tesla, then things changed :D
- I'm absolutely dreading the insurance prices. My guess, which is just that, is the fact that she is a newly licensed driver will have more of an impact on the rates than whatever car we end up getting.

You folks make a good point, I didn't even think of the size of the S which is a big consideration. The problem with the 3 is I'm not sure I want to drop 50k+ on a car as a first car, where I know it may get dinged up. But you do make valid points on all its benefits.
OTOH, it might not have any accidents at all. People who learn later might have better judgement than those who learn earlier. If your spouse is computer-adept she'd probably love a Model 3, and the excellent visibility really does make driving easier. Just my thought, having experienced several adult learners, though none and a Tesla. One I recall has a Nissan 300ZX turbo as a first car; she's never had an accident of which I am aware.

• Helpful
Reactions: IdaX
So this generated a lot more replies than I thought :) To address a few points:

- She will definitely have input. Re-reading my original post I guess it sounded like I was just going to choose something and hand it to her. But it will be a joint decision...I was just trying to figure out how the idea of a Tesla as a first car would be.
- My pockets have some room, but not endless. If I left it solely up to her and money was no object she'd get a new red Model S or a Range Rover. Thankfully she is good with money and understands the dynamics. Personally I'd rather spend under 20k, let her drive around a few years and play bumper cars, then upgrade.
- She won't drive a lot, at least now. Maybe when we have kids and she has to drive around more. She is currently not working so there is no commute issue.
- Originally she really wanted a Mini Cooper. Until I got my Tesla, then things changed :D
- I'm absolutely dreading the insurance prices. My guess, which is just that, is the fact that she is a newly licensed driver will have more of an impact on the rates than whatever car we end up getting.

One option not discussed is to do nothing. Share the existing Model S and make sure that she drives every time that you are together. Insurance becomes reasonable, she will gain skill and have pride in a Model S. For those of us about to downsize the fleet of vehicles collected over time, the Model S will be our last car. During this second phase of retirement disability for one of the spouses becomes common so there will only be one driver. Sharing a vehicle now while the needs can be met with one car provides a plan for the future when a single vehicle in the family becomes necessary again.

One more thought from a generation ahead for your consideration.