Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla as only car (poll)

Is the Tesla your only car in your household?

• Tesla(as are my/our only car(s)

Votes: 73 38.4%
  • I have another EV in addition to the Tesla(s)

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • I have an ICE/Hybrid in addition to the Tesla(s) that I would use for road trips

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I have an ICE/Hybrid in addition to the Tesla(s) that I would not use for road trips

Votes: 58 30.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I have:

2016 Model S 60D
2014 Leaf (lease ends July 2017)
2011 VW Golf TDI (to be bought back by VW ~November)
1996 Miata for fun!
+Motorcycle

So we have a harem, but only until next year when it will be Model S + Miata. We had originally planned on waiting on the Tesla, but ended up with a good deal in the Q3 rush.

On nice days, she drives the Tesla and I ride the bike. On crappy days I get the Tesla and her the Leaf (my commute is too long for the Leaf). I'm afraid to drive the TDI, because it's worth more than twice its insurance payout with the buyback and I drive ~75 miles in New Jersey every day. Lots of opportunity for *crunch*. I will be very happy to be rid of it.

My Leaf is my around-town car and my MS is for road trips.

I think the assertion that there are roads that an EV cannot reach is a little misleading. I would say there are roads that an EV cannot conveniently reach is more accurate. We travelled all over the mountain west this summer and my rule of thumb was, if the road has a power line, we can go there.

Here's my disclaimer. I carry every adapter imaginable along with a host of 50-amp circuit breakers and 40ft of 50-amp extension cord. I know not everyone is interested in this level of avidness (insanity?) but it gets me everywhere I could ever want to go. I've charged at the most unlikely places, and I'm not above asking folks for access to their electrical panel. The heart-warming thing is, even though I offer to pay for the electricity I use, people are so surprised to see an EV "in these here parts" that no one has ever asked for money.

Reactions: Pollux and Saghost
In a thread about the Bolt recently, I once again came across the belief that most Tesla owners have a harem of cars (as the other poster put it) and that Tesla wasn't really suited to road trips and didn't need to be. My X is my only car, and I do plan to take it a number of road trips, but I was curious how the forum numbers would come out, so I thought I'd post a poll. I think I've seen one or two before, but the options didn't really seem road trip centric.
Walter

This IS a very quintessential poll that you initiated. Missed the (almost) taboo option of: I (still) have an ICE-propelled car.
A next poll could be about if people do own two cars, in which one they make more miles per year.
That says a lot of appreciation, practicality, comfort, making a statement, etc.

I'd be very interested to see what people would say, if they own two EVs, one of them (the more costly)Tesla and the other a smaller EV for running errands, groceries... even commuting.

I have a 16 year old Land Rover which I use primarily for local trips when the Model S is in use by my significant other. I use it to haul trash to the dump and other maintenance tasks. We use the S for all road trips. Would never consider using the Land Rover (even though it still runs great... it's a fuel hog and noisy). We've done a lot of 2,000 to 4,000 mile road trips in the S and it's so much smoother, quieter, comfortable, etc.

This IS a very quintessential poll that you initiated. Missed the (almost) taboo option of: I (still) have an ICE-propelled car.
A next poll could be about if people do own two cars, in which one they make more miles per year.
That says a lot of appreciation, practicality, comfort, making a statement, etc.

I'd be very interested to see what people would say, if they own two EVs, one of them (the more costly)Tesla and the other a smaller EV for running errands, groceries... even commuting.

I think I got a clear answer to the question I had, both in the poll and the posts. If you're curious about related things, you're more than welcome to start a poll of your own. :)

For almost 30 years, we had only one (ICE) car at a time. But when we purchased the Tesla a year ago, we decided to keep our 11 year old Sienna, because it contains a lot (although I'm always amazed by the amount of stuff we can put in the MS; still, no 4x8 panels!) But the main reason to keep it was actually because we have new, practicing drivers at home.

I'm so glad we made that decision: two months ago, one of my teenagers, practicing driving in the parking lot of the nearby commercial center, mixed pedals and crashed into the car parked in front. 300$ damage to the bumper of the other guy, but not enough on our already scratched Sienna to deserve repairs. So glad it didn't happen with the Tesla.

We have been all-BEV since 2009 and all-Tesla since 2012.

Even if I had an ICE, no way I would want to take it on a road trip. The Model S is the best road-trip car we have had.

Our Seattle-based Teslas have been to Maine, Colorado, Phoenix, Alberta, and we have made about a dozen trips to various points in California.

And I can vouch for the statement about taking his S to Maine since I saw it in South Portland, ME. ;)

Reactions: ChadS
If I recall correctly, did that car have a wankel engine ? I remember seeing it in Germany in the early 70's thinkIng what an ingenious design alternative to the piston engine.
You recall correctly, NSU partnered with Felix Wankel to develop the rotary engine and the Ro80 was developed around the new engine. In a way it was the Tesla of its time, but I believe Tesla will be longer lasting.

Model S for the wife and kids, Roadster for my daily commute. I have a Chevy Spark EV (currently for sale) as a "beater" for things like extended airport parking and running errands in sketchy areas. We use the S regularly for long trips and grocery runs. Model 3 might take miles off the Roadster during the week when it comes out, depending on features and cost.