Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla as only car (poll)

Is the Tesla your only car in your household?

• Tesla(as are my/our only car(s)

Votes: 73 38.4%
  • I have another EV in addition to the Tesla(s)

Votes: 29 15.3%
  • I have an ICE/Hybrid in addition to the Tesla(s) that I would use for road trips

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I have an ICE/Hybrid in addition to the Tesla(s) that I would not use for road trips

Votes: 58 30.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me guess, nobody told you why they put generators on motorhomes? Hint. There isn't electricity everywhere.

You claimed that there were places you CAN'T GO. Not places that if you sit for a month you will run out (the issue with motorhomes). Still haven't seen a single example. Hint: in order to satisfy your claim you need to find a place that is further from a source of electricity than 1/2 of the range of the car.

Thank you kindly.

How much does that extension cord weigh?!?!
And why do you need the 50-amp circuit breakers?
And why do you need access to someone's electrical panel?

Here is my adapter kit. Each extension cord is 20' of SOOW (6-6-6) and weighs 13 lbs. I keep one end bare so that I'm able to connect to a circuit breaker, although I carry a spare NEMA 14-50P that I can quickly connect to make another 20' extension cord to gain my 40' of extension cord. With the 20' mobile UMC I'm able to reach almost 60'. I built these adapters myself but it would not have been possible without the fine guide provided by @Cosmacelf.

IMG_2950.jpg

I'll insert two anecdotes here. First, while waiting for delivery of my MS, I completed all of the cables I felt I would need. When delivery was delayed and I was bored, I decided to make a TT-30 adapter just for the fun of it because, of course, I would never need it. Turns out, it was the first adapter I used -- in a very old campground along the California coast.

Second, I bought the Quick 220, just in case, and I ended up using it more than any other adapter.

You may also notice that I built an adapter for a NEMA SS2-50P marine plug (Furrion 50 Amp 125 / 250 Volt Locking Male Plug). I found that marina's are an excellent source of 50a/250v power and I often made use of their facilities.

As for electrical panels, I learned from folks in the wilds of northern Minnesota, northern Wisconsin, and the UP of Michigan who tap directly into electrical panels since many older homes, B&B's, fish camps, etc. have their electrical panel outdoors near the garage. Let me caution that this is a dangerous practice and many posters here will lambaste me for exposing this practice. You have been warned.

2016: next Canadian Maritimes trip (as far north as Ile de la Madeleine via ferry, starting this time in Maryland) will be with the S. Not just further deployment of Superchargers (although that's a biggie) but also in Canada much wider deployment of charging options. Plus a bit of advance planning to wind up at destinations that allow overnight charging.

The Canadian Maritimes are on the list next summer for our adventures. I've seen so many pics and read so many travelogues describing the area that it's a must-see for us. Of course, it will be done in our MS. :)

Here is my adapter kit. Each extension cord is 20' of SOOW (6-6-6) and weighs 13 lbs. I keep one end bare so that I'm able to connect to a circuit breaker, although I carry a spare NEMA 14-50P that I can quickly connect to make another 20' extension cord to gain my 40' of extension cord. With the 20' mobile UMC I'm able to reach almost 60'. I built these adapters myself but it would not have been possible without the fine guide provided by @Cosmacelf.

View attachment 204680

I'll insert two anecdotes here. First, while waiting for delivery of my MS, I completed all of the cables I felt I would need. When delivery was delayed and I was bored, I decided to make a TT-30 adapter just for the fun of it because, of course, I would never need it. Turns out, it was the first adapter I used -- in a very old campground along the California coast.

Second, I bought the Quick 220, just in case, and I ended up using it more than any other adapter.

You may also notice that I built an adapter for a NEMA SS2-50P marine plug (Furrion 50 Amp 125 / 250 Volt Locking Male Plug). I found that marina's are an excellent source of 50a/250v power and I often made use of their facilities.

As for electrical panels, I learned from folks in the wilds of northern Minnesota, northern Wisconsin, and the UP of Michigan who tap directly into electrical panels since many older homes, B&B's, fish camps, etc. have their electrical panel outdoors near the garage. Let me caution that this is a dangerous practice and many posters here will lambaste me for exposing this practice. You have been warned.

Wow... first let me say, thank you for your courageous service in the EV cause. It's people like you who have helped create a world where people like me can just order an awesome EV from a web catalog filled with colorful photographs, moving pictures, and the occasional breathless over-promise!

I'm now living comfortably with free SC charging, an HPWC @ 64A at home, the Tesla UMC kit with the NEMA 14-50 connector which gets used a half-dozen times a year, a Chargepoint keyring card that I've used maybe a dozen times since August, 2013 and a 20' 120V/15A extension cord which I've used 3 or 4 times in 3 years. The charging story just keeps getting better! Although if I was going to wander far off the beaten path, I'd revisit your post (I've saved a copy)!

And second... ah, yes, @Cosmacelf, he whose name shall be spoken reverently. :)

Thanking you deeply,
Alan

The poll asks about the "household" but fails to take usage in to account. Sure, my wife has an ICE, and I have an EV, but that doesn't mean that we swap cars all the time, she drives hers, and I drive mine. When together I almost always do the driving.

But looking at the poll results you might think we're not comfortable having just an EV, that's not true, we just haven't had the time/money to replace her car yet.

The poll asks about the "household" but fails to take usage in to account. Sure, my wife has an ICE, and I have an EV, but that doesn't mean that we swap cars all the time, she drives hers, and I drive mine. When together I almost always do the driving.

But looking at the poll results you might think we're not comfortable having just an EV, that's not true, we just haven't had the time/money to replace her car yet.

That's why I included the would use/wouldn't use options. The focus was on how Tesla owners choose to do road trips - if they have an ICE car, do they take it or the Tesla - not on whether they had only electric cars or were comfortable going all electric. I did that more because of the folks that have a weekend toy than the exact case you described, but it should cover your case as well.