Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla as only vehicle

Should I go with the Model 3 as a second vehicle, or Model Y as only vehicle?

• Model 3 as second vehicle

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Model Y as only vehicle

Votes: 54 64.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Actually I think “near 32F” is the killer. Above freezing during the day, below freezing at night. Lots of slushy snow that freezes. I think some places known for skiing might be less trouble because you get “nice” snow there."

I'm worried about these issues as well... I don't live in CA, but I doubt its the same set of issues as here in Upstate NY. Cold and dry is different that cold and wet. When we get icy storms, which is at least 2-3 times a winter, everything gets coated in 1/4-1/2 inch of pure ice. Trees crash, power lines sag and go down and you have to chip off the ice from your car if it is left out. You can literally push your car across the driveway with one hand (if you're wearing cleats) cuz it is one sheet of solid ice.

I'm worried about these issues as well... I don't live in CA, but I doubt its the same set of issues as here in Upstate NY. Cold and dry is different that cold and wet. When we get icy storms, which is at least 2-3 times a winter, everything gets coated in 1/4-1/2 inch of pure ice. Trees crash, power lines sag and go down and you have to chip off the ice from your car if it is left out. You can literally push your car across the driveway with one hand (if you're wearing cleats) cuz it is one sheet of solid ice.
I grew up in western NY and experienced those winter conditions. I remember hearing stories of people hanging light bulbs in their VW Bug engine compartments so rhe car would start in the morning. LOL.

I can’t imagine owning a Model 3 in that environment where freezing rain is common, but that’s me.

Last edited:
Congratulation on becoming parents! But your understandable belief that you only need more space for a few baby items is severely unrealistic. With a child, life is upended. You need lots of space for the kids, friends, child gear, protection play fences, stroller, diaper bag and replacements. It’s basically why minivans became popular. Yeah, sad but true. Think about your back bending over with that ten to thirty pounds squirming kid struggling to avoid the car seat for years.

To see where your family needs will be, try to avoid getting a new car until a few months after the child shows up. Then your family needs and activities will be known.

Good luck.

Thanks so much - I think you are completely right. There is no point in us trying to forecast what our needs will be. Our lives are going to change significantly and despite all the help and stories our friends and family have been sharing to try to help us, I think the best advice we’ve heard is “there is no advice that can fully prepare you for what’s going to happen”.

Is Dual-motor the cheapest option or is there a cheaper model for 3 and Y costing $39,990 and $48,000? If the price difference was only 3k this thread would not exist.

But quoting unequal capability models and then writing that the price difference is "at least" the difference between them is disingenuous.

There's nothing in the OP's post to suggest what models of the two cars they are looking at (though in fairness, it does seem odd that they'd think they can't afford the Y but can afford the 3 as a second car unless they're doing the same comparison you are.)

Maybe the answer is to wait for an SR+ Y version to be released in a year or two... :p

One thing I didn’t see responded to.

OP is thinking that leaving a Tesla plugged in will help make life easier during harsh weather.

It does not. It does not trickle charge or maintain some minimum temperature for the battery or cabin. About all it does is allow for scheduled charging. Which will help give you regen but it’s fairly costly energy wise to wait to charge in the morning with a cold soaked battery vs charging when you get home with a warm battery.

If the battery does drop by some set amount (I think 5%) it will start a charge cycle. But if all is running normal the car should only drop around 1% a day. If that. Uf you leave car for extended period, it’s ideal to leave it plugged in. But it can go a very long time without being plugged in (months).

There is an extreme temperature the battery should never reach. Something like -24F. In that case the battery heater would kick in.

You can do all the preheating you want plugged in or not. Some people believe preheating cabin is more efficient when plugged in. I’m not sure that is proven one way or another.

Also the OP mentioned they don’t drive much. But they drive 37k miles in 3 years. That’s just about average.

Reactions: tvad
Personally I would not want to own a Tesla in a location without a garage where it snows/sleets in Winter.

I live in New England and have owned a Model 3 last Winter and a Model X this Winter with a partial heated attached garage.
I would not want to deal with a Tesla car left in the elements every night.

First day my Model X got caught in a sunny dOlay that was like 32F and a couple snow flurries.
There was not a snow flake in sight when I left work at 7 PM and it was like 20F out. The Doors were frozen solid and windows too.
This was a mild winter day. Model 3 was the same. It didn't phase my wife's Volt parked in the same lot.

Yes you can deal with it. Even Tesla recommends pounding your fist on things to get in your car, really.

Here is a pretty long laundry list of winter tips. Yes, ICE needs some of this too. But doesn't need so much TLC in Winter.
A garage, makes it way more comfortable. Half of the TLC issues have nothing to do with EV vs ICE. It has to do with how Tesla designs and builds them.

Winter Driving Tips

We are in Toronto and have only the Model 3 for our family of 4. Street parking except one night a week we use our shared driveway for charging. Got the LR RWD partly for that reason. I commute 300 km a week and my husband takes transit. In the winter I need a second charge during the week at a L2 across from my office. For cottage trips we supercharge in Barrie or Parry Sound (no charging at cottage since water access). I can say that one golf bag plus luggage and food for 4 for a week is no problem. Two might be tough just because of the awkward length. We use the split seat for our skis but it’s a touch squishy for the kids.

I can’t imagine why people think you will need a second car with two kids in the city. In a pinch you have tons of options - bike, transit, taxi, uber, car share, carpooling, weekend rental... Choosing the car solution you need 90% of the time and supplementing on a rare occasion saves a ton of money vs covering every conceivable situation.

Winter in Toronto was a bit of a challenge last year but we haven’t had as much trouble this year. We twice had issues with the stuck charging port pin that were fixed with the new port last January. No problems with the new one. Thaw/freeze problems with the doors are much better this year because we (a) treated seals, (b) sprayed silicone in the handles, and (c) carry a used gift card to free up the bottom of the windows when needed. Haven’t had an ice storm yet but I remember when I couldn’t open my Subaru because it was frozen over and there was no way to preheat it remotely! I love having instant warmth in the winter. My only lament is the lack of heated steering wheel. #firstworldproblems

But quoting unequal capability models and then writing that the price difference is "at least" the difference between them is disingenuous.

There's nothing in the OP's post to suggest what models of the two cars they are looking at (though in fairness, it does seem odd that they'd think they can't afford the Y but can afford the 3 as a second car unless they're doing the same comparison you are.)

Maybe the answer is to wait for an SR+ Y version to be released in a year or two... :p

My guess is what the OP is thinking. He has an AWD RAV4 Crossover.

If he were to go with a single car he wants another AWD RAV4 Crossover (Model Y AWD).
If he keeps the AWD RAV4 Crossover he could get a base RWD Model 3. And that's why he sees the wide price difference.

I definitely would not get a RWD Tesla as my only car where he lives.
Plenty of folks do, but plenty of folks don't make logical decisions eiether ;)

I'd also plan on snow tires no matter which car(s) he buys.

How so? Just economize your storage space. The Model 3 has plenty.

Don't want to dig into the details of you trip to the cottage unless you want to, but you can surely make it work.

I don't see it so much as a question of money or number of vehicles, but time. The Model Y is still a ways off, and there are a long list of reservations already. You will likely wait no less than a year, and as many as 2 or 3.
I totally agree, we are a family of 3 and I can fit all our ski gear and 3 year old in our Model 3 for a long ski weekend 350 miles away. The Model 3 is also more efficient than the Y so it will make the trip even faster.

Hi there - first time poster here, finally getting into this because I am finally at the point where my first Tesla is hopefully in my not too distant future.

I currently own a 2016 RAV4 hybrid and have had 0 problems with it. Only 60,000 km (~37,000 miles) on it, so it has lots of life left.

There are two scenarios I’m considering: Model 3 as a second vehicle, or Model Y as only vehicle.

I cannot afford the Model Y as a second vehicle, so I would using the RAV4 as a trade in (expecting a good trade in value for it considering the mileage and it’s in excellent condition).

I live in Toronto and do not have a garage to park the car in the winters (it gets real cold and snows fairly regularly). However, I would be able to keep the car plugged in at all times when not in use, which I’ve heard helps the cabin and battery at a decent temperature (but please correct me if I’m wrong here!).

The cold weather issues with electric vehicles in general (especially without a garage to keep it comparatively “warm”) make me nervous about having an EV as my only vehicle (point to the Model 3). However, the extra ride height and space of the Y is super appealing as my wife and I are expecting our first little human next year and we will certainly need the space - a Model 3 as the only vehicle would not suffice for weekend trips to the cottage (point to the Model Y).

Having 2 vehicles at this point also seems unnecessary for us right now (point to the Model Y) - as you can probably tell by the mileage on our 3 year old RAV4, we don’t drive a whole lot - but we expect to need two in the not too distant future as our family grows (point to the Model 3).

If you’re still reading, you can probably tell that I’m a bit conflicted. I’m currently leaning Model Y as the more practical option, but would appreciate some feedback from community members who are currently relying on a Tesla as their only vehicle in the winters. Thanks!!
Get the longest range Y. They’re awesome cars if you are able to plug in you’re set. I’d be perfectly happy with my long range model 3 as my only car but I love having a beater car that I can use for dirty jobs, or using for trips when I know parking is bad. Also since I drive 35k a year it’s good to spread out the mileage.

Moderator note: some posts in this thread have been removed because they were personal attacks using insulting and offensive language. Obviously that is not allowed on TMC. In addition, posts responding to, or quoting those post were removed to keep the exchanges from continuing.

Let’s be nice. Thank you.

I totally agree, we are a family of 3 and I can fit all our ski gear and 3 year old in our Model 3 for a long ski weekend 350 miles away. The Model 3 is also more efficient than the Y so it will make the trip even faster.

Model 3 15cu Ft
Model Y 65cu Ft

For a one car family with kids, definitely wait for Model Y.

I had a Model 3 (as a 2nd car). Not much storage (no kids but two small dogs).
Real shame Model 3 was not a hatchback like the Model S is. If it was I probably would have kept it.

My Chevy Volt (hatchback) makes a better 2nd car than the Model 3. Not recommending a Volt, but utility wise Volt is better.

People make do with what they have.

• Informative
Reactions: tvad
Is Dual-motor the cheapest option or is there a cheaper model for 3 and Y costing $39,990 and $48,000? If the price difference was only 3k this thread would not exist.

The Model 3 SR+ qualifies for a federal government incentive here, and the Model Y LR RWD does not (base starting price over $45k) - this makes the price difference between the two ~$16,800 after taxes and incentives. Trading in my RAV4 would offset this price difference, then I’d only have 1 car to insure. With the M3 as a second car - for in-town errands and the infrequent drive to work, I wouldn’t need Long Range - but with the Model Y as our only car, I’d prefer Long Range because there are no super chargers on our cottage route (Southampton / Lake Huron) and the Chademo public chargers are sparse.

I can’t imagine why people think you will need a second car with two kids in the city.

Technically in the burbs (Mississauga) where everybody drives everywhere... just moved here from the city last year. Said Toronto as I assumed most people here wouldn’t know where Mississauga is.

Thaw/freeze problems with the doors are much better this year because we (a) treated seals, (b) sprayed silicone in the handles, and (c) carry a used gift card to free up the bottom of the windows when needed.

Good tips for the future, thanks!