Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla as only vehicle

Should I go with the Model 3 as a second vehicle, or Model Y as only vehicle?

• Model 3 as second vehicle

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Model Y as only vehicle

Votes: 54 64.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Simply turn on the heater before you go out to the car. In less than 10 minutes, it will be toasty warm and all the snow / ice will have been dealt with. We've had our X in plenty of very cold situations and never had the doors stuck. I guess I never checked the windows because ... well ... why would I open the windows in those conditions?

So you live California and you're telling me what it's like to own a Tesla in snow country.
Let me guess you vacation 2 weeks a year in Tahoe or something, right?

First I had no idea pre-heat would have been even needed that day 32F and sunny (I vaguely recalled a couple flurries that day after I realized it was frozen). It could flurry any day. And I can guarantee 10 minutes would not have touched it. If it was cloudy and 28F that day it would have not been a problem. The flurry stuck to the glass and melted down the window. The Windows get frozen to the felt strip outside but inside the door (heat does not get to where it's frozen very easily). When I did click the door handle the door only opened a crack I could here a motor running and nothing happening, not good. At first I thought it was the door opener and it was fighting with ice. So I helped the door open, not a good idea. Didn't realize it was the Window not going down that stopped the door from opening and it was the Window Motor fighting to lower the frozen window that I could hear. I managed to stop it (from burning out the motor) by whacking the glass downward with my fist, several times, big crack sound when it broke loose. It went down to it's normal height and the motor stopped. What if that was my wife?

My wh/mi miles would go through the roof if I had to preheat every day that it *might* freeze. My commute is 5 miles. Efficiency is bad enough without preheating. This was when leaving work which has no garage.

With a garage I don't have to do anything in morning. With a "normal" car, like my wife's she had zero issue. No TLC, no remembering you need to pre-heat before you leave, no need to monitor the weather that day. And if it's real ice storm, even for an ICE, it's gonna take a lot longer than 10 minutes.

In fact, my wife's Volt was frozen the other day (I avoided taking the X because I knew that day it could). We preheated the Volt. It took us like 45 minutes to free it up from ice to make it drivable. As did all the other ICE cars nearby. It was a solid inch of mixed snow/ice. You have no idea. So happy I left the X home in the garage that day.

Your Tesla Model X must be different from mine, because the WINDOWS have to open to open the door !! As do all Tesla's unfortunately.

I can and do deal with it (some days by just leaving the Tesla at home). And if I know it's frozen I'll preheat. If I forgot or not sure when I get to the X, I'll test it with Window Vent option next time before touching the door handle. But then I might have 4 motors fighting to open 4 windows, ugh. Oh and every window was frozen on that snow flurry day. I was hoping X would be better than the Model 3. It's not. At least the door handles don't freeze like Model 3 does.

I love my Model X. But I'm not gonna sugar coat what it's like to own a Tesla in snow country. It could be a LOT better. But I can partly deal with it because I have a garage. If someone around here asks me with no garage, I flat out say, it's not a good idea.

Reactions: tvad
The only issue you should really be considering for such a decision is if you ever are doing something that would require a gas station in an obscure location, like potentially wherever your cottage is.

Do you drive anywhere the would take up 3/4 or more of the charge, and can you recharge it to get back within whatever time frame you expect?

Same idea but for your home too - how many miles do you drive a day on average and can you recharge that overnight>

My Model 3 lived outside in Colorado.

No problem

Yeah, no problem. See Videos below. There are tons of videos like this on Teslas.

I ran into every issue last winter, with a garage, but not to often. Frozen Door Handles, Frozen Windows, Frozen Charge Port.

None of these cars were that bad as far as ice goes and in most cars that mild, I'd give the windshield a quick scrap get in and go.
Again I can deal with it and plan for it when leaving work. But having my car in it 24/7 all winter no way, it will get real old.

Hey, some people can deal with it if they want.

Places like Colorado might have more dry fluffy snow. In some places it's frozen slush all the time. Or perhaps you preheat every day.
But Tesla's are not not exactly winter hardened, at all. And if the car is cold with "wet" on the felt which takes forever to dry out. The windows would refreeze within hour. Go grocery shopping for an hour when it's 5F out, they could freeze again. Oops, time to preheat again. Garage helps the felt window gaskets dry out. Sometimes I even leave windows open in garage to speed that up.

Right now, my Solar System is completely dead for the past week because it has a 1/2 inch of ice on it and my driveway is solid ice.

• Helpful
Reactions: Char and AlanSqB
It’s the two sets of golf clubs we often bring with us that are causing most of the concern. Weekend bags + stroller alone wouldn’t be much of a problem. We golf up there pretty much every time we go - might have to start sacrificing it...

Difference between the Model 3 and the Model Y is at least $8,010. Two sets of golf clubs could be purchased on a budget for less than $1,000 - expensive ones still less than $8,000. Your in-law's "cottage" most likely has a large attic, garage, or storage shed (or at the very least some extra land where you could put a storage box).

I keep seeing lots of posts that Toronto is in "snow country". Toronto doesn't get a lot of snow. Buffalo (Lee side of the lakes) gets snow when it's sunny in Toronto. It's really not cold, like the Prairies....it's like Detroit.

Yes, Toronto gets a few weeks each winter of really cold weather, but most Toronto winters have temperatures near 0C/32F. More rain than snow. These temps do cause a range loss, but it's no biggie.
Saying that, plugging in nightly, you will not have an issue with the cold, or having 1 vehicle

I've been driving my model S as my only vehicle since 2015. I do live in the snow belt - Lake Huron squalls - , and it's always 3-4C colder than the 6ix. No issues. AWD and winter tires make this the best car I've driven in the winter. I have an unheated, detached garage - and I plug in every night
I have a cottage in Haliburton (no Superchargers). I use my dryer and the UMC with a 14-30 adapter to charge. The Y would be perfect going there
2 friends and I took my S to Myrtle beach last year. 3 sets of clubs, and luggage. No problem. Y might have worked here too.

Hold out for the Y. You'll be happy with one car

Reactions: ModelX and EinSV
So you live California and you're telling me what it's like to own a Tesla in snow country.
Let me guess you vacation 2 weeks a year in Tahoe or something, right?
Whoa. That went off the rails quick. Check a map. There's an entire 1/3 of California above the Bay area. With mountains.

But that's fine. I'm sorry your X disappoints in the winter. I was just pointing out that there are others of us who find it does extremely well in those conditions.

PS. 4k posts in one year? That's a lot!

Reactions: ModelX
Difference between the Model 3 and the Model Y is at least $8,010. Two sets of golf clubs could be purchased on a budget for less than $1,000 - expensive ones still less than $8,000. Your in-law's "cottage" most likely has a large attic, garage, or storage shed (or at the very least some extra land where you could put a storage box).

???

A model 3 dual motor is $49k and a Y dual motor is $52k.

• Disagree
Reactions: user212_nr
IMHO I would keep the RAV4 and use it for more years to come.
Reasons:
1) Model 3 doesn't fit 2 gold bag and a strolley
2) Model Y as only car is a little risky in terms of range, or will make your trip longer
3) If it's because the environment, I think is better to keep your car and not to have to manufacture a new one with all the impacts it brings
4) If you are going to have any monthly payment I would not have the monthly payment and pay myself.
5) Kids are small but the stuff that follow them is a lot!

Disclosure: I love my TM3 but I also have a big minivan for long trips, and for convenience of space
Disclosure N.2: I'm frugal, so I tend not to stretch my budget. Even if I can afford without any problem
Disclosure N.3: If it's about emotions, and it's within budget, keep the RAV4, buy the TM3 SR (not sure if you have the 220 miles version in Canada) enjoy the car for small round trips, I enjoy driving it even to go to work (6 miles)

Don’t underestimate the storage capacity of the 3. Fiancé and I just road tripped to see family for the holidays. Our dog took up the whole back seat, and we had two suit cases, two big bags of presents, a bag for the dog, and a couple shoulder bags for our computers and still had room to spare. The trunk on the 3 isn’t enormous, but it’s spacious compared to my previous Mazda3, and the lower trunk + frunk make a noticeable impact on storage capacity.

The 3 seems like the perfect complement to a Rav 4; each has its own strengths. That said, having just done a 500 mile trip that the car drove itself about 480 miles of, it’ll be hard to go back to a non-Tesla car once you make the switch.

One thing I’ll note though: cold weather performance on the 3 SR+ is worse what I was expecting, even with all my pre-buy research. I haven’t experienced icy conditions, and I don’t park outside so hopefully won’t be dealing with frozen windows. But even in moderate cold (35-40 F) the car loses 20+% range, and consumes 2X energy early in drives (or whole commutes in stop and go traffic) even w/ cabin set to 67. Probably not a huge issue since you can plug in routinely, but I don’t have at-home charging, so I really notice it.

What voltage are you charging outside? On colder (-10c) days when I plug in outside on 120v for 11 hrs at work, the car really doesn't charge at all, just keeps it steady. When I preheat while plugged in I lose range again. At home I park in garage with 14-30 230 volt plug and have no issues. If you go model y make sure u have 230v to plug into, especially outside in winter.

Keep the RAV4 Hybrid. You will be happy to have it as a back up vehicle. Consider it an insurance policy.

When your family grows and you need two cars, then you will have what you need.
Just remember you will have to pay insurance on your insurance policy...OP has said he doesn't take a car to work. Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Turo/walking/public transport are likely much cheaper back up options without having to worry about parking, insurance, depreciation, repairs, etc on a vehicle that might rarely be used.

We are a family of 3 and have managed with owning a single vehicle the last 11 years (and no car for 2+ years before that)...it can be done. With that said, I plan to keep our 09 Subaru for the big snow days at 9 k feet for this winter after taking delivery of the M3.

I keep seeing lots of posts that Toronto is in "snow country". Toronto doesn't get a lot of snow. Buffalo (Lee side of the lakes) gets snow when it's sunny in Toronto. It's really not cold, like the Prairies....it's like Detroit.

Yes, Toronto gets a few weeks each winter of really cold weather, but most Toronto winters have temperatures near 0C/32F. More rain than snow. These temps do cause a range loss, but it's no biggie.
Saying that, plugging in nightly, you will not have an issue with the cold, or having 1 vehicle

I've been driving my model S as my only vehicle since 2015. I do live in the snow belt - Lake Huron squalls - , and it's always 3-4C colder than the 6ix. No issues. AWD and winter tires make this the best car I've driven in the winter. I have an unheated, detached garage - and I plug in every night
I have a cottage in Haliburton (no Superchargers). I use my dryer and the UMC with a 14-30 adapter to charge. The Y would be perfect going there
2 friends and I took my S to Myrtle beach last year. 3 sets of clubs, and luggage. No problem. Y might have worked here too.

Hold out for the Y. You'll be happy with one car

Actually I think “near 32F” is the killer. Above freezing during the day, below freezing at night. Lots of slushy snow that freezes. I think some places known for skiing might be less trouble because you get “nice” snow there.

Average temp in Toronto is lower than Boston. But Boston might swing more, rain one day we’ll below freezing that night. Tesla’s just love that.

A lot of the Model 3 poor behavior in the cold videos and posts last winter came from Canada and most Tesla’s in Canada are from Toronto area. Partly because they were colder sooner. And I think everyone was folks that don’t have a garage and using hair dryers in the morning to melt door handles and charge ports.

Actually I think “near 32F” is the killer. Above freezing during the day, below freezing at night. Lots of slushy snow that freezes. I think some places known for skiing might be less trouble because you get “nice” snow there.

Average temp in Toronto is lower than Boston. But Boston might swing more, rain one day we’ll below freezing that night. Tesla’s just love that.

A lot of the Model 3 poor behavior in the cold videos and posts last winter came from Canada and most Tesla’s in Canada are from Toronto area. Partly because they were colder sooner. And I think everyone was folks that don’t have a garage and using hair dryers in the morning to melt door handles and charge ports.

Wetter places that cross over the freezing point regularly are definitely more problematic than places that are colder or drier from both a frozen door/window standpoint and a road safety standpoint - though at least with those warmer places, it's fairly easy for a good road department to use brine to depress the freezing point during big storms.

Reactions: mswlogo
Hi there - first time poster here, finally getting into this because I am finally at the point where my first Tesla is hopefully in my not too distant future.

I currently own a 2016 RAV4 hybrid and have had 0 problems with it.

There are two scenarios I’m considering: Model 3 as a second vehicle, or Model Y...

If you’re still reading, you can probably tell that I’m a bit conflicted. I’m currently leaning Model Y as the more practical option, but would appreciate some feedback from community members who are currently relying on a Tesla as their only vehicle in the winters. Thanks!!

Congratulation on becoming parents! But your understandable belief that you only need more space for a few baby items is severely unrealistic. With a child, life is upended. You need lots of space for the kids, friends, child gear, protection play fences, stroller, diaper bag and replacements. It’s basically why minivans became popular. Yeah, sad but true. Think about your back bending over with that ten to thirty pounds squirming kid struggling to avoid the car seat for years.

To see where your family needs will be, try to avoid getting a new car until a few months after the child shows up. Then your family needs and activities will be known.

Good luck.

Reactions: tvad and mswlogo
Congratulation on becoming parents! But your understandable belief that you only need more space for a few baby items is severely unrealistic. With a child, life is upended. You need lots of space for the kids, friends, child gear, protection play fences, stroller, diaper bag and replacements. It’s basically why minivans became popular. Yeah, sad but true. Think about your back bending over with that ten to thirty pounds squirming kid struggling to avoid the car seat for years.

To see where your family needs will be, try to avoid getting a new car until a few months after the child shows up. Then your family needs and activities will be known.

Good luck.

Good post.

You're post reminds me of seeing a family at a supercharger piling out of a white Model 3 Performance with white interior, husband, wife and 3 kids, 2 in car seats. The older kid was squished between the two cars seats. Looks like dad got what he wanted vs what the family needed.

Just remember you will have to pay insurance on your insurance policy...OP has said he doesn't take a car to work. Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Turo/walking/public transport are likely much cheaper back up options without having to worry about parking, insurance, depreciation, repairs, etc on a vehicle that might rarely be used.

We are a family of 3 and have managed with owning a single vehicle the last 11 years (and no car for 2+ years before that)...it can be done. With that said, I plan to keep our 09 Subaru for the big snow days at 9 k feet for this winter after taking delivery of the M3.
The cost of insurance for the few years (or less) until his family expands will be much less than the cost difference to buy a new car when the time comes. Depreciation is definitely a factor that should be calculated.

The convenience of having a highly reliable, economic hybrid drivetrain second car for the family rather than shlepping a young child in an Uber...with a car seat etc...for those times when a larger vehicle is necessary or when the primary car is unavailable cannot be underestimated.

Last edited:
The roof rack on the model 3 and a nice big Yakima or Thule roof box would probably handle your golf clubs no hassle. Total cost of rack and box is around $700. We have used ours for an inflatable kayak/paddles on a 1200 mile road trip as well as more local trips and, while the range is affected by the extra drag, it's not very drastic.