Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla asks me to sign release before update (Overseas)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am located in Costa Rica, I have had firmware updates previously. I called Tesla to inquire when I might be able to receive the V9 update, they wrote back attaching " Waiver of Liability for Firmware update".

Is this normal for non-supported countries.?

I would happily sign and get the update if it could be reverted should it cause something really bad.

Its probably normal. Tesla has to live within each countries laws. It's really expensive to do so.

It's not going to be reverted. Some S/X owners don't like it and have tried. (They are the ones still running Windows XP)
It's essentially on all of the cars now, so risk isn't that big. (although map data may be questionable)

When I was buying a Tesla I kept waiting for someone to ask me to sign some sort of a EULA like the software companies have. I never saw it. The docs I did sign I made them print out and I signed manually so I had a copy.

Buying computers with software that is liability free is one thing, but when that software is what keeps me and everyone around me safe while driving a car I am not relieving anyone of liability for their mistakes.

I can assure you that no countries laws require you to sign a release of liability. This is all Tesla.

Reactions: neroden
I am located in Costa Rica, I have had firmware updates previously. I called Tesla to inquire when I might be able to receive the V9 update, they wrote back attaching " Waiver of Liability for Firmware update".

Is this normal for non-supported countries.?

I would happily sign and get the update if it could be reverted should it cause something really bad.

Don't sign it and don't update.

(I see you did. Well, I guess you're stuck with it now!)

When I was buying a Tesla I kept waiting for someone to ask me to sign some sort of a EULA like the software companies have. I never saw it. The docs I did sign I made them print out and I signed manually so I had a copy.

Buying computers with software that is liability free is one thing, but when that software is what keeps me and everyone around me safe while driving a car I am not relieving anyone of liability for their mistakes.

I can assure you that no countries laws require you to sign a release of liability. This is all Tesla.

Tesla's asking for it because they know the software is broken and that they owe a bunch of people repairs under warranty, and they're trying to weasel out of it for newer buyers.