TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Tesla assistance for AutoSock on Model X

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ncktckr, Nov 15, 2016.

?

Would you be interested in AutoSocks for your Model X?

1. Yes, I've got 22" wheels

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. No, I have another solution for my 22" wheels

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  3. Yes, I've got 20" wheels (size available, see post)

13 vote(s)
    59.1%
  4. No, I have another solution for my 20" wheels

1 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. ncktckr

ncktckr Member

With winter coming to the Pacific Northwest, I've got a few road trips planned that'll involve snowy and icy weather. On my previous SUV, I used AutoSocks and they were great--easy to put on, quiet, and great performance. My Model X has the 22" wheels (for which Tesla doesn't even offer chains) and when I went looking for the right AutoSock size I got "Contact us"... turns out they don't currently have a size that supports 285/35 R22 (rear) or 265/35 R22 (front) tires. (Though AutoSock size 698 works for Model X 20" rear wheels and size 697 works for 20" front wheels.)

AutoSock is an approved traction device in the U.S. (and other places, but I haven't dug into that much) and is also approved by many manufacturers (BMW, Volvo, VW, Jaguar, etc) for use on their vehicles. The fit on the tire is very thin, so it should avoid issues w/ the suspension that standard cable and chain solutions have had with Teslas in the past.

Turns out the team at AutoSock tried reaching out to Tesla previously, but didn't get much traction (*ba dum tsh*). I plan to formally add AutoSock support to my next issue list for my SC, as it's the only way I know of to give feedback directly to Tesla (per my SA). I also wanted to raise awareness here... if enough people have interest, perhaps we can get Tesla's attention and help connect them w/ AutoSock.

AutoSock's reply to my inquiry about 265/35 R22 or 285/35 R22 support:

TeslaAutoSock.png

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Your vote table needs another category: I have 20" and interested in Autosocks solution........

Autosocks are approved with CALTRANS (California)? pls provide link.

3. someTimesJoe

someTimesJoe Member

I'm in for the 20" and on their site, it looks like $99.95 per. Not sure if it's per wheel or per set but that's a lot cheaper than the Telsa chains.

Would be curious if they are Caltrans approved.

4. ncktckr

ncktckr Member

#4 ncktckr, Nov 15, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
    Ah, I didn't add that because I mentioned there are already AutoSock sizes that fit the 20" wheels. AutoSock size 698 works for Model X 20" rear wheels and size 697 works for 20" front wheels.

As for approval information, it looks like it is approved by CALTRANS. You can check out this site for state-by-state approval info: http://autosock.us/products/regulations.

You get a pair, so two wheels. For Model X, you should just need it for the rear since that's where most of the torque will be at snow travel speeds. I've usually seen them for $100-120 for a pair around here.

5. someTimesJoe

someTimesJoe Member

6. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Member

Great finding nck, ordered my rear wheel pair on Amazon just now, and will probably never need to use them.

7. highedu

highedu Member

Any progress on getting Autosocks or alternative traction solution for your 22's?

8. onethumb

onethumb Member

Also very interested in any progress on 22" Autosocks...