Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla at 24 Heures du Mans

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's hope there's an appearance on UK Top Gear coming up to coincide with the Roadster attending the british auto show.

Galleries - Time to Burn? - Top Gear

Quite possibly:

Tesla
It's the electric car making all the waves at the moment, and that's no surprise when you look at the stats. Based on the Lotus Elise, the Tesla manages 0-60mph in four seconds and will get from London to Plymouth on one charge. Oh, and we've driven it. Check back later in the month for our in-depth review of the celebrity electric car.

There's also a new TV series starting on Sunday, let's hope it appears.

Tesla Motors - feel

Tesla Roadster at Le Mans blog update
Yep, you beat me to it. The long awaited blog about Le Mans. That "leblogauto" vid is pretty cool. Most the other vids and photos we already have here. Seems the French really like this Margot Laffite:

2591239056_b941c8fd9c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey - just got back from Le Mans where Tesla was again present.

On Friday I went to the drivers' parade and literally as I got off the tram and pushed into the crowd, I saw the back of the Protoscar Lampo, followed by an orange Roadster. It was so soon after arriving I didn't even have time to get my camera out of its bag.

On Saturday, just after the Le Mans Legends race, there was an unannounced 'supercars' parade which included a grey and an orange Roadster. I picked up my camera to get a snap of them in formation, only to see CARD ERROR on the screen. Arrrrgghhhh!!!

By the time I got the camera rebooted, all I could get was this crappy shot:

3632422334_2b14fd82db.jpg

The orange one even stopped in front of me for 10 seconds, seemingly knowing there was a photo-op (I couldn't see who was driving either car).

Oh well, hopefully some other shots will turn up.

I wasn't sure where they were hiding the rest of the time - but I wasn't out and about as much as I was last year.

Overall not as good a race as 2008, but then that one will take some beating.

A thought occurred to me that if any of the British owners wanted to take their car to Le Mans this weekend, they are welcome to stop at my place for a top-up. From there it is comfortably reachable on a single charge via the Portsmouth - Le Havre ferry.

We've even got power outlets on our pitch at Le Mans so you can refill for the return journey.

attachment.php?attachmentid=702&d=1276092269.jpg

attachment.php?attachmentid=703&d=1276092280.jpg

44.4kWh and that includes 130 km/h speeds on the Autoroute.

By the way, I was told that Tesla themselves will be there again in the Parade des Pilotes on Friday evening and on the track on Saturday morning.

Attachments

• LM1.JPG
    LM1.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 1,148
  • LM2.JPG
    LM2.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 1,132
So the race turned out to be more of a parade - perhaps the plan changed from when my guide was written, or maybe the hydrogen crowd got nervous again

Anyway, the Audi e-tron turned out to be an R8 based mule.

4693398138_fe23d71f84.jpg

4693493446_9945a6d2a5.jpg

4692839139_d73b078100.jpg

4692977797_89e61bfb17.jpg

Unfortunately, while I was taking these photos I was pick-pocketed. When I had satisfied myself that yes, I hadn't left my wallet behind, and after being sent on a wild goose chase by the site security, I decided that some slightly more local knowledge would help track down the police - big thanks to Simon Rochefort for helping find the police station and offering to lend me some cash. I will buy you that coca next time I see you :smile:

Last edited:
This article includes a list of cars that were intended to take part.

The following cars will take part: the PORSCHE 911 GT3 R Hybrid, the AUDI e-Tron, the PEUGEOT RCZ HYbrid4, the electric FERRARI 599XX HPDC, the electric TESLA, the hydrogen MAZDA RX-8 RE, the hydrogen BMW, the natural gas VOLKSWAGEN Scirocco, the electric SECMA F16 and the electric ANDROS. These cars, in the hands of well-known drivers, will do two laps of the 13.629-km big circuit before going to the 24-Hours support paddock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was intrigued what the Andros was. It seems it's one of eight identical EVs specially built for an EV ice-racing series in the French Alps (and here ice means the frozen wet stuff, not the Infernal Combustion Engine).

I think I might like to go and see that - sounds mad!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So as I now own a Roadster and once again was heading to Le Mans this year, guess which car I took.

Last Wednesday the group formed up outside my work and headed for the Portsmouth to Le Havre ferry. After escaping rush hour in Le Havre we set off on the 134 miles through the French countryside and arrived in Le Mans at dusk. First task was to located a suitable outlet for charging as the normal 16A outlets had been replaced and the new ones were apparently limited to 5A. That task done, it was time to see some racing.

Bp8uh9KIcAABMG_.jpg

This trip was 6 years since I spied my first Tesla Roadster, which was the start of this thread and a journey that has left me considerably poorer. So with that in mind while it was quiet on Friday morning, we decided that LJ60 HUO should visit the same spot in homage.

10343502_10154249009895414_677196725742246250_n.jpg

10403266_10154249009935414_6528086182302230084_n.jpg

The rest of the event was great, as always (with Audi taking yet another win but once again proving that reliability is king and there is no point having outright speed if you can't finish the 24 hours). Several people came up to me and said I had the coolest car in the camp site (no mean feat given there were plenty of Lamborghinis and a Ferrari Testarossa nearby), with some Lotus guys taking a particular interest. Some smartass asked, "how did you get this here, on a trailer?" to which a quick "no, I turned the key and drove it" quickly saw him dispatched.

Tesla had a Model S there in the "Towards the future" pavillion, along with a BMW i3 and i8 and various other concepts. I'm getting a bit bored of this "future cars" label. They're here and now. The Model S was mobbed most of the time, I was lucky to get this clear shot. We also saw another S being used as a taxi.

10389341_10154249969880414_2906890199204358754_n.jpg

BqFG6UfIQAAnsBZ.jpg:large

With the event over we did our customary lap of the track on the Monday morning, before I had to head off to Paris for a meeting. This was an easy 120 or so miles on back roads through the glorious French countryside, followed by 10 nerve wracking miles into central Paris. These people make Londoners look like driving instructors.

On the way into Paris we stopped at the Palace of Versailles. As this car visited Edinburgh Castle, we thought it might like to see the French equivalent :)

BqRFAd_CEAAU2UQ.jpg:large

Several of the Novotels in Paris (and other locations in France) have EV charging facilities now. We actually swapped out booking to one of these when I decided to take the Roadster, which shows that it is worth hotels making the effort. This station had a 16 Amp normal French domestic socket and a 32 Amp blue single phase IEC60309 / CEE / Commando, in other words nothing complicated and exactly what I wanted to see.

BqRJimUIQAAEvwV.jpg:large

BqRL3AWCEAABHlk.jpg:large

I charged up overnight, went to my meeting and by the time I was done the car was full for the return trip.

Heading out of Paris at 7 pm, the Peripherique was still very busy and I felt like I was being attacked on all sides by those daft three wheeled scooters that are increasingly popular over there. Nevertheless I was soon on my way at 85 mph and covered the 130 miles back to Le Havre with easy. Car safely in the hold of the ferry, I settled down for the night crossing and was in work by 8:30 this morning, the Roadster having performed flawlessly over the 442 miles and 2 charges on the trip.

LJ60 HUO on a car ferry for the 4th time in my stewardship.

BqXKW6ZIIAAYEAI.jpg:large

Thanks to Kevin Sharpe for getting me an OVMS the day before I went on the trip and to the entire Open Vehicles team for creating this product. It's simply awesome and a real confidence builder to leave your car on charge out of sight and in once case across the city, knowing that you can come back and drive to another country at the end of the day.

BqZeJ5tCQAAkduY.jpg:large

BqXJt0mCEAAE0VU.jpg:large

10419636_10154262467070414_1492659055294249005_n.jpg

It was also nice to take the car on another relatively long trip. It's clearly still in great mechanical and electrical condition with barely any range degradation. I'm seeing 233 miles Ideal on a range mode charge and that figure is increasing as the pack sorts itself out from a long period of little use. Also, having the 200 mile range and 32A charging really is useful for real world use, even in a world of superchargers and 85 kWh batteries.

Last edited: