Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla at Alcoa Aluminum HQ in Pittsburgh, PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JakeP

S P4996 ==> P02547
Apr 27, 2012
Bradfordwoods, PA
As you may know, Alcoa Aluminum produces the raw materials for the Model S body panels and portions of the frame, as well as for SpaceX vehicles. I was contacted here on TMC by Alcoa representatives, who wished to borrow my car for display at their Board of Directors meeting the last week in June, to which I happily agreed. The car was on display under a tent, and was the subject of one of many presentations to the board. During the lunch break, several Board Members and afterwards many employees drove my Tesla around their (normally 25-mph) campus ring-road. The Alcoa board includes several GM execs as well as the head of Tata Motors, all of whom raved about the car. Alcoa Chairman and CEO Klaus Kleinfeld drove Tess with typical Teutonic aplomb through several 90-degree power steers, and held a sustained Tesla Grin on the acceleration straightaways. I bet he placed an order over the weekend...and I think I need to order some new tires!

I had a fantastic time riding in the back seat and sharing the Tesla experience with so many enthusiastic people, each of whom has helped make the Model S a reality for us all. They made me a set of these gorgeous aluminum coasters in their machine shop, and I was given multiple excellent tours of various parts of their facilities. I was utterly blown away by how much is actually done here, from forming ingots, to stamping and joining, to coatings, composition analysis and beyond. Science, engineering and manufacturing is very much alive and well at Alcoa in Pittsburgh.

Thank you Alcoa!!!

Alcoa Coasters.jpg

Nice experience and coasters!! you are brave to allow strangers to drive your vehicle. I've had friends ask me and I've told them NO WAY IN HELL. I don't think they took that kindly. None of them can afford it so not losing a sale. Maybe after a few months, I won't be so protective.

Cool story bro. Just one question. Alcoa contacted you... Why? Do you work for Alcoa or have an Alcoan connection? They just trolled this website and saw Wexford, PA?

I'm from the 'burgh myself. Need to start planning a trip home in my teslarossa... how's the charging infrastructure in WVA. :)

The Sequoia Green color did get quite a few compliments, to which I always respond "The Future is Green!"

Unfortunately they didn't have room for more vehicles, or DBalog would have brought his new Brown 40 as well. They said I was one of three they found in Pittsburgh on TMC, possibly using the reservation map thread. I think there are more like six or seven by now, at least. @Arondaniel, WVa may have the best roads, but RV parks will likely be the only places to charge!

GG, I would love to know what Ratan Tata was thinking as he drove, and if we will someday see a Tata Nano Electric. I wonder if the grid in India is ready for it...or if a fleet of battery vehicles is exactly what it needs, to push toward renewable generation sources.

@Brianman, I'll let them know about the interest in the coasters (I told them TMC people would love them), but I think it was a one-off set they made especially for my visit. But I could be wrong...and they certainly would sell in the Tesla Shop as an accessory!