TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Tesla at Goodwood Festival of Speed

Discussion in 'News' started by dpeilow, Jul 11, 2008.

1. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#1 dpeilow, Jul 11, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2008
    There are two Roadsters at this event - one taking part in the hillclimb and another in the FoSTech Pavillion.

Keep up with events here Goodwood - Festival of Speed - Event News LIVE

The white car (probably from the Porsche video, but which number?) has already been on track.

[​IMG]

I shall be there on Sunday and if I get any good pictures will try and upload them by cameraphone.

Dave

2. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

#2 doug, Jul 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Dave, thanks. You'll be our eyes on the scene. But hopefully you'll have a better camera in addition to the one on your phone. The "Arctic White" car is VP4 (yes the same as in the Porsche drag race vid).

So what's this hillclimb all about? Is it anything like this?:

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I'll do my best. We'll have three 5 megapixel cameraphones on site - the quality of the pics on those is pretty good and the team will be briefed to get good Roadster pics. But I'll also have a Canon Ixus for any keeper shots :)

That's pretty much a good resume of hillclimbing, but at Goodwood the Roadster will be in the company of everything from early Renaults and Benzs right up to Lewis Hamilton's F1 car and Sebastian Bourdais in his Champ car. Everything that takes part is driven quickly and competitively.

By the way, possibly the biggest hillclimb in the world is in the US at Pikes Peak.

4. doug

dpeilow's camera phone shots

Click on the picture for a larger image.

VP4

2663912128_256e716ce6.jpg 2663093365_b8860170b8.jpg
    2663098427_66d2ca27b2.jpg 2663928962_f7182557e3.jpg

5. doug

#5 doug, Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
    The red car is VP18.

2663937948_277c1b3ece.jpg 2664222242_8bd8b34339.jpg

6. doug

7. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

Just got back...

That FoSTech pavilion had no internal lighting so all shots were really hard even with fill-flash.

I was chatting with the guys for a while a got a few titbits of info, but will post in full in the morning.

However me and the missus did get to sit in VP18 :smile: (This wasn't usually being allowed).

2665566492_51c5f8d19b.jpg

OK off to bed zzz

Dave

8. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

#8 dpeilow, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
    Right a bit more detail...

VP04 was out on track twice. We missed the first run up the hill as it seemed to start a bit early, but arrived trackside to see it return back to the paddock. VP18 was at the FoSTech stand, an area highlighting new technology (various hybrid, electric and hydrogen cars were there).

I chatted with the guys looking after VP04 and VP18 for a while, covering the following:

- 29 cars are built and/or on their way to the US.
    - VP18 will be getting drivetrain 1.5 next week. They are definitely expecting deliveries for this in September.
    - DT 1.5 is getting 320bhp on the dyno, as reported someplace elsewhere recently.
    - Now that the production logjam is broken, expect Model S announcements imminently.
    - The guys from Hethel are driving regularly to the Mira Proving Ground and having 80 miles left in the "tank". That's a fairly fast and twisty 145 mile cross-country route that is good for "spirited driving". When I asked whether left hand drive was a problem, I was told it doesn't matter - you are past the vehicle being overtaken before you know you pressed the accelerator :)
    - A right hand drive car will come, again now they have time to think about these things. Expect it "about 2010".
    - This may be a personal wish from the guys there, but once the main work on Model S is done, they hinted at a track car and maybe a race series. The adjacent Lotus 2-Eleven was gestured at as an example. It's clear they are thinking about motor thermal management issues for such a vehicle - but then that has been discussed in the past too. (Note to ABG et al, this is not newsworthy)
    - We talked about the announcement with Mercedes. I asked if the rumour that it was for ESS supply had any truth and got a "no smoke without fire" type response. Then we talked about ESS for Model S (whether it would be different) and I asked about a flat variant. I said "of course if the rumours on the german deal are true, you will definitely need a flat ESS". I got a wry smile ;)

Sitting in VP18, I was pleasantly surprised by the fit and trim quality (I drive a 2002 Audi S3 for comparison - i.e. a fairly high standard to compare to in this department). VP04 was clearly more of an engineering car in terms of the build, but VP18 bodes well for production cars IMHO.

Some other news for TV fans: Apparently, Top Gear have been approached for a road test, but they replied with "it doesn't fit our brand" (n.b. that is a comment from Top Gear, not Tesla - e.g. Top Gear's anti-EV, pro-oil stance hits again). This is being worked on (maybe they are making progress with Richard Hammond). However, Vicki Butler-Henderson got a ride up the hill and was so impressed she was hanging round the car for 4 hours looking at every detail. No word on if she signed up to the waiting list, but this looks good for a review on 5th Gear at some point. (We know she also liked the Smart EV.) Vicki has been a long time owner of a Honda S2000, so we know she likes her sports cars, but she also seems to be able to generally review cars on their merits rather than some clouded view.

By the Opel E-Flex stand, there was a sign explaining that 75% of European commutes are under 40 miles and that the car would be able to do that without the ICE running. Nevertheless I still heard "So it goes 40 miles and then the engine kicks in anyway - what the f**k's the point in that?". I had to resist the temptation to turn around and say "duh". I also heard a comment by the Honda CR-Z of "That's awesome... Oh my god it's a hybrid" [walks away]. It's clear there is still some way to go to educate certain members of the public :/

Finally - apologies but I did not get as many "proper camera" shots as I liked, as it's owner decided to be in a mood... I will ensure I have my own SLR before the London Motor Show :)

9. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Thanks for the details, Dave. Juicy stuff, that.

10. Finkenbusch

Finkenbusch Member

#10 Finkenbusch, Jul 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
    Great unbiased onsite report - probably the best ever here - hopefully you can find out more if something with EESstore super-capacitor or other innovative storage solutions may in the Tesla bushes.

No one, even not the hardest Tesla freak really believe that stacking a few thousand mobile phone batteries in a box, cool them (no matter how hard they try to make them work as advertised) and run a roadster with them (more crazy then innovative) is the ultimate EV wisdom.

11. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I did ask about whether Tesla will get involved directly with improving battery technology. The response was at this time they want to let other people do the development and continue to buy COTS batteries. Nevertheless we did have a good chat on this subject.

I work in the satellite business where we also have large Li ion batteries which require careful power conditioning and thermal regulation. Funnily enough, my last company used the exact same COTS cells in its satellite batteries AND Elon owns a 10% stake in them - yet there is no cross-fertilisation of ideas between the industries. Satellites have to operate for 15 years and I'm sure both industries could learn from each other.

It would be cool if Elon/Tesla could 1) encourage a flow of ideas and 2) make some strategic investments in the companies pioneering new battery chemistries with higher energy density.

12. doug

Great report, Dave! Thanks! :smile:

Vicki Butler-Henderson with VP4:
    2665222075_d45f8e8756.jpg
    2665223733_4c42cedc6b_b.jpg

13. doug

#13 doug, Jul 16, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  14. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

2674155928_5623c3722b.jpg

Where there's a will, there's a way...

15. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

TV Alert

For all those in the UK and parts of Europe, the Goodwood Festival of Speed will be on ITV4 this Saturday at 16:45 BST / 17:45 CET. This will be followed by the London Motor Show at 18:00/19:00. There is a good chance the Roadster will feature in both of these (it is probably the former that Vicki Butler-Henderson was filming for).

ITV4 is available free-to-air on Astra 2D at 28.2 degrees east; DVB-S, transponder 10758 MHz vertical, symbol rate 22000, FEC 5/6.

They also have an online catchup service, but I am not sure if this is available to IP addresses outside the UK (does someone want to try?) and it doesn't have everything. I will try to PVR and post it.

Goodwood - Festival of Speed - Latest News

16. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

17. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

I tried and no, it refuses to work.
    Maybe it would wourk through anonymous UK proxy?

18. doug

19. doug

More of VBH with VP4:

2784023250_26204e239e.jpg 2783171349_64b53c96f6.jpg
    2784022416_6a07bb9332_b.jpg

20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#20 TEG, Aug 21, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2008
    I keep wondering which cars have the different transmission options now.

One would think that these speed trial events would need either drivetrain 1.5 prototypes, or at least make use of the old 2 speed (as long is it holds up).

We know many of the demo cars, and even some early customer cars are locked in one speed with the old 640amp PEM. Can anyone comment on what the different UK cars have right now? I think VP12 has 1.5, but what about VP4, VP3, and VP18? We know from recent VP13 news that some of the prototypes even have new 850amp PEM with old transmission components.